Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 54 of 54 Posts

·
Banned
50 Posts
All I know is when I drove my wifes 2009 honda pilot, I noticed my hand shaking on the wheel at speeds over and around 65, I thought it was very strange for the steering wheel to shake like that, I researched the shaking and discovered the issue with the front lower control arms bushings leaking fluid, I looked under the car and noticed they had leaked. I brought it into honda and they replaced both front low control arm compliance bushing and now it drives smooth as silk at all speeds with no wheel shake at all. There also was a little shaking while braking that went away after the new bushing were installed. I also have the crap Goodyear tires, the problem was not the tires, it was for us 100 percent the lower control arm compliance bushings, as we still have he good years on until I replace them with michelins.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I looked at the bushings but do not see any leakage, at least that I can see. Not ready to give up yet, but now it feels more like an engine vibration at 70 and above.

It is weird as it comes and goes and is most noticeable when you have it set on cruise control. I will monitor for a while and maybe take the tech for a longer drive. I still need to get my rotors ground a bit and the ac issue noise fixed. So far not impressed with this honda and the issues.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well my issues continue after another road trip and 800 miles later. I can now pin point that I believe it's engine related. Going back to homda when I can get in and leave it there. Very interested to try my test on the loaner pilot.

If I do the following I can get the vibrations to occur every time. I should say this never happened with this car till the last few thousand miles.
1 on a flat road set cruise at 70
2 car has Eco light on
3 let it start to climb a gentle grade
4 right before 2.5 k rpm it will start and you can feel the vibration through the car. Mind you it's not shaking the wheel like mad, but don't believe I ever had engine vibration like this before

·
Registered
213 Posts
So dealer claims they cannot feel it. Scary when you start typing in google that it auto fills for 2012 pilot Eco mode vibration. Honda sucks right now. Will be calling them again Monday to complain but seems pointless. If they do nothing I guess I dump it and continue to bad mouth honda to anyone I know. I was really hoping to keep this one. Would be happy to have them buy at back pos

·
Registered
5,870 Posts
If I do the following I can get the vibrations to occur every time. I should say this never happened with this car till the last few thousand miles.
1 on a flat road set cruise at 70
2 car has Eco light on
3 let it start to climb a gentle grade
4 right before 2.5 k rpm it will start and you can feel the vibration through the car. Mind you it's not shaking the wheel like mad, but don't believe I ever had engine vibration like this before
Is there a road near the dealer where you can "get the vibrations to occur every time?"
Will someone from the service department go out with you for a drive while you try to "get the vibrations to occur?"

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Update on my vibration

Well my vibration has gone away! I had the following items done, all helped some:
1) Hunter Road Force Balance (twice) & ck for out of round tires
2) Had my new front rotors turned
3) Had VCM fluid changed
4) Had trans fluid changed

Now at highway speeds, there is very little vibration, finally! :)
Thanks for all of the ideas!:29:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Well this is good news. What year and mileage do you have?

What fluid is involved for vcm? I thought that it just turned off cylinders so not sure exactly what fluid was changed.

I would be interested to hear from you in two weeks your thoughts. My Honda is just not as smooth as it used to be. Just turned 28 k here. Thanks retired enforcer

·
Registered
10 Posts
I had the same issue of vibration at 70-75 mph and was told the normal balancing does not do the trick. The wheels have to be put under load and check for uniformity. But after reading several posts I was convinced it was the lower arm bushings as both sides were leaking. Following repair, the vibration has gone away and just a slight vib around 80 mph.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
My vibration is at 80mph but definitely due to the cheaper tires that I decided to buy. 80,000 mile tread wear warranty not even going to come close to that figure.:headshak:

·
Registered
20 Posts
I am having this same dilemma right now...had the tires balanced on 6 separate occasions, 5 by the same shop. they are telling me tire runout is hundreths of a number. going to the the take tire off, put it back on after balancing until it 0s out

·
Registered
20 Posts
This is for a 2011 EX with 84000 miles. So, I've had it balanced a total of 7 times now, and each time, they've had to adjust the weight, and then say "it's balanced." Doesn't that mean there is a problem with the tires for sure? They don't balance the tires or drive them at 70+ mph, which is when it happens. It's almost a catch 22. The last shop claims they increase the tolerances and balanced them, but the vibration appeared to change from being more in the front to the back now. I also had them rotated yesterday, as it felt more in the seat, which moved to more in the wheel after the rotation.

there are Goodyear fortitude HTs, less than 3000 miles, 3 months. They replaced Goodyear Forterras with under 5000 miles, as 1 tire had an impact bubble, and two were so severely defective, not able to be balanced.

I've replaced the entire front end suspension, rear shocks, rear stabilizer links and bar bushings, and am at my wits end on this vibration. Both front CV axles have been relplaced, as well as inner/outer tie rods.

No one will drive it at 80 mph, which is when it is pretty severe. . . .I don't know whether to quit trying to figure it out, pay for a shop that has a Hunter Elite machine to balance it more, or insist on a Goodyear ride quality claim (which I talked to them and I can get them replaced).

A honda dealer, which has been involved, has taken the driveshaft off several times in the troubleshooting process, and claims issue has not changed. However, I highly doubt they have driven it at the speed it happens (70+)

I don't know whether to pay for a diagnosis from another shop and not mention tire issues, pay a shop with the Elite machine to balance, or give up. HELP!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
2011 honda pilot 2WD. I too and trouble shooting the mystery high speed vibration. It only happens on acceleration at around 65 or 70. sometimes it wont do it. I have new tires, balanced; replaced both axle assemblies. I will look to replace the lower control arm busing (compliance bushing). I'm changing out a wheel bearing assembly with a loose lug bolt. Hopefully I will feel that the bearing is leaking and bad. I say hopefully cause I don't know where to go from there.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Any updates on the issue? I have a 2011 pilot 2wd and im having the same problem. so far I've road force balanced the tires, replace compliance bushing and replaced both front axels. when I removed the driveshaft and drove it, the vibration goes away. I replaced the driveshaft with a new one and the vibration got worst compared the old driveshaft.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Here's my experience with the shakes and shimmies so far. 2011 Pilot EX-L currently with 150K miles on the ODO:
1) Steering wheel shaking badly when breaking at highway speeds: numerous rotors and brake pads and constant caliper pin checks and lubrication - all of these measures helped temporarily but didn't solve the issue. Ultimately fixed this issue after replacing control arms (complete with bushings) and swaybar bushings. Suspect the issue was related to worn control arm bushing.
2) Shimmy at 70mph and above (regardless of ECO mode). Last time it was the front wheelhub bearings that failed around 40K miles and were replaced under warranty.
The problem came back recently. Rebalancing helps temporarily. Currently diagnosed worn LHS transmission mount as well as front struts mounts are on their way out. Parts ordered and I will report back (will do the mount and struts at the same time, though, so, I won't know which of the two will have fixed it, if it does).

These vehicles are sold in the EU, including Germany, where they drive them very fast on the Autobahn, so, I don't buy Honda Canada/USA explanation that it's OK for these vehicles to shake above the typical posted speed of 75mph since you won;t drive them faster than that anyway.
Not entirely happy with how much work I've done on the braking and suspension on my Pilot, however, I've driven it hard and at one point sentenced it to 2 years of driving on shitty roads of Quebec, so, it could be my fault too.

41 - 54 of 54 Posts