Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
That's what I have been pulling up in all the searches I did before I joined here and started asking about it. Nothing good about aftermarket axles. Although, I did see one person say a few months later with OEM axles they turned out to be crap. I am worried about my transmission because I have been driving around with the pressure switch issue for awhile with no signs of what other people have said they have when it starts to fail, maybe the occasional feeling in delay to shift. I'm also not sure which one or ones I should change, I've seen people saying just the 3rd one, others says 3 and 4, someone else said 2 and 4. I don't want to take it to a shop because it's not a hard replacement to do.

I am going to get it to the shop later this morning to have them figure out the overheating issue since it seems like it can be a few different causes and I don't feel like losing money through trail and error. I am going to mention the ECT sensor and how it can cause that fault code to pop up even if it is saying the torque converter. So thanks for that info.

·
Registered
11,466 Posts
That's what I have been pulling up in all the searches I did before I joined here and started asking about it. Nothing good about aftermarket axles. Although, I did see one person say a few months later with OEM axles they turned out to be crap. I am worried about my transmission because I have been driving around with the pressure switch issue for awhile with no signs of what other people have said they have when it starts to fail, maybe the occasional feeling in delay to shift. I'm also not sure which one or ones I should change, I've seen people saying just the 3rd one, others says 3 and 4, someone else said 2 and 4. I don't want to take it to a shop because it's not a hard replacement to do.

I am going to get it to the shop later this morning to have them figure out the overheating issue since it seems like it can be a few different causes and I don't feel like losing money through trail and error. I am going to mention the ECT sensor and how it can cause that fault code to pop up even if it is saying the torque converter. So thanks for that info.
We've seen Valvoline MaxLife ATF solve shifting issues. You might consider doing 3 drain and fills (driving a few miles in between) before spending a bunch of money on transmission parts. It has also shown to lower ATF temps.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
749 Posts
There isn't a p0471 code, guessing it's supposed to be a p0741, that is the tq converter death code. I would change fluid and live with it from now on. 99% of the time it takes a tq converter and/or trans rebuild to fix.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
We've seen Valvoline MaxLife ATF solve shifting issues. You might consider doing 3 drain and fills (driving a few miles in between) before spending a bunch of money on transmission parts. It has also shown to lower ATF temps.
That's my next move to do that.
I said screw it and decided to not take the car to the mechanic for the overheating issue. I rolled the dice and changed the thermostat and the ETC sensor, luckily that solved the issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
There isn't a p0471 code, guessing it's supposed to be a p0741, that is the tq converter death code. I would change fluid and live with it from now on. 99% of the time it takes a tq converter and/or trans rebuild to fix.
Yeah it was pointed out to me that I typed the code in wrong. I only had that code pop up once and I check every time I get in the car but never had it show up again. As nail grease said it could be due to the ETC sensor so that is why I changed that with the thermostat today. I'm going to have the mechanic put my original axles back on and just replace the boots as he mentioned he was going to do but never did, hopefully that solves the issue. I'm going to flush the trans fluid three times with Valvoline MaxLife ATF as well. I still need the replace the transmission pressure switch or switches. Need to see if i have to replace 1,2,3 or all four.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,316 Posts
How hard was it to change the ECT sensor?

Remember, don't flush the transmission, do a 3x drain & fill, driving some miles between each.

·
Registered
11,466 Posts
The one at the bottom of the radiator can be fun. When you unscrew it, the coolant begins to run out. Be ready with a new one with new o-ring already installed to make a quick swap.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·

Remember, don't flush the transmission, do a 3x drain & fill, driving some miles between each.
I had to put it in a vice, I didn't tighten it too much just enough to hold it in position to break it free from the thermostat housing. I couldn't do it while it was on the car because it was located on the back of the housing. I did the same thing to put the new one on.

That's for the info on what to do with the trans drain and fill.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts