Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone, I am new here and was hoping someone could help me with this issue. So I had my CV axles replaced due to torn boots. After I got the car back I felt vibration coming from what feels like the front end. I spoke with the mechanic and he said he would put another pair or CV axles, now 3 axles later I still have the issue. I know he's not using OEM parts and he did say he would take the original axles out of the scrap pile and replaces the boots, but he didn't do that the 3rd time which I thought he was going to do. I do have issues with my transmission pressure switches, I have the flashing D and the fault code shows that as well. A week ago I did pull up the fault code p0471 when I just went in to see if anything would pop up but it was just that one time and I can't get it pop back up again. When I took the car in for the third time for the axle issue I told the mechanic and he later got back to me and tried telling me it could be the torque converter causing the vibration. I'm at a loss, I don't know if it is coincidence that after the joints the torque converter went or if this is an issue with non OEM CV axles. Does anyone have any insight on this? Thanks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I also should mention it happens when I hit the gas, not so much at higher speeds, but once I go from a stop up until about 45MPH is where it is the worse.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Hello,
After 3 replacements the vibration very well could be coming from something else. Is the vibration constant, at certain speeds or when coasting?
What's the year model?
AWD or 2wd?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Was the vibration there prior to replacing the first set of axles?

side note: I had a local mechanic change my front axles due to clicking noise. They used some aftermarket axle and once done I felt a vibration when getting up to speed.
Two days later, I bought new OEM axles and changed them out in my driveway.
Vibration is no longer there.

im my opinion P0471 typically relates to the following:

Torque Converter Lockup Solenoid
Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
Torque Converter Clutch
Valve Body issues
Dirty transmission fluid

Have you replaced the trans fluid? By replace I mean a drain and fill 1x3 ?

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
I also should mention it happens when I hit the gas, not so much at higher speeds, but once I go from a stop up until about 45MPH is where it is the worse.
Assuming your vehicle is equipped with VCM technology you might consider disabling this function as many of us have. It can be the source of vibration when the eco light comes on as the VCM turns off cylinders. I use S-VCM. 2wd 06 model and newer Pilots are equipped with VCM.
I'd also do 2 and a later 3rd drain and fill of the ATF with Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife. If your mechanic says it's the torque converter, these are the fixes that have worked.

Reactions: plplplpl

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Assuming your vehicle is equipped with VCM technology you might consider disabling this function as many of us have. It can be the source of vibration when the eco light comes on as the VCM turns off cylinders. I use S-VCM. 2wd 06 model and newer Pilots are equipped with VCM.
I'd also do 2 and a later 3rd drain and fill of the ATF with Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife. If your mechanic says it's the torque converter, these are the fixes that have worked.

I have never had the Eco light come on and I will look into draining and filling the ATF.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hello,
After 3 replacements the vibration very well could be coming from something else. Is the vibration constant, at certain speeds or when coasting?
What's the year model?
AWD or 2wd?
It's happening up until about 45 MPH then I fell it occasionally but it isn't as strong as when I first take off. If I let off the gas it stops even after taking off.
2007 EXL 2WD

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Was the vibration there prior to replacing the first set of axles?

side note: I had a local mechanic change my front axles due to clicking noise. They used some aftermarket axle and once done I felt a vibration when getting up to speed.
Two days later, I bought new OEM axles and changed them out in my driveway.
Vibration is no longer there.

im my opinion P0471 typically relates to the following:

Torque Converter Lockup Solenoid
Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor
Torque Converter Clutch
Valve Body issues
Dirty transmission fluid

Have you replaced the trans fluid? By replace I mean a drain and fill 1x3 ?
Prior to axles being replaced, no. The axels had no clicking noise either, I have had that in one of my other cars, he just replaced the axles instead of just the boot which had the issue because they were torn. It's is only up until 45 MPS that it is the worse.

The P0471 code, I am having issues with my car starting to overheat. I thought, at least hopefully, it is the thermostat. I planned on replacing it this week. When I am driving it is fine if I'm stopped for too long that temperature gauge jumps right up.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
I have never had the Eco light come on and I will look into draining and filling the ATF.
Your vehicle is equipped with VCM technology. Disabling the VCM and drain and fill the ATF with full synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF, 3 times, driving a few miles in between each drain and fill, will likely solve your transmission vibrations.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
Prior to axles being replaced, no. The axels had no clicking noise either, I have had that in one of my other cars, he just replaced the axles instead of just the boot which had the issue because they were torn. It's is only up until 45 MPS that it is the worse.

The P0471 code, I am having issues with my car starting to overheat. I thought, at least hopefully, it is the thermostat. I planned on replacing it this week. When I am driving it is fine if I'm stopped for too long that temperature gauge jumps right up.
I assume you meant P0741. This is a transmission code but can be set off by the Engine Cooling Temperature sensor. If your overheating, I'd get it diagnosed as what's causing it. I'd drain the ATF and hope there is no shiny metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug.
I would park the vehicle until it's fixed.

·
Registered
3,542 Posts
I am having issues with my car starting to overheat. I thought, at least hopefully, it is the thermostat. I planned on replacing it this week. When I am driving it is fine if I'm stopped for too long that temperature gauge jumps right up.
Need to address the overheating issue soon otherwise there won't be a concern for vibration or VCM or trans issues moving forward. If the Pilot has the original radiator this should be inspected for corrosion, blockage and leaks. The ATF lines run through the lower part of the radiator and are known to corrode, leak and break.

·
Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
520 Posts
I replaced both of the front CV axles on my 04 Pilot last year and used the premium Napa axles because the OEM axels had torn boots. With the new axles, I had a bad shudder above about 20mph. I bought new boots, dismantled the OEM axles, cleaned and regreased them, and installed new boots. I reinstalled the OEM drivers side axle on the Pilot and the shudder was diminished but not gone. So I put the OEM passenger side axel back on, and the shudder was gone. By then I was past the 30-day return period for the Napa axles, so I just tossed them and kept using the OEM ones. Seems like aftermarket axles causing vibrations on Pilots is a common issue.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I assume you meant P0741. This is a transmission code but can be set off by the Engine Cooling Temperature sensor. If your overheating, I'd get it diagnosed as what's causing it. I'd drain the ATF and hope there is no shiny metal shavings on the magnetic drain plug.
I would park the vehicle until it's fixed.
I will look into buying that wire to disable the VCM. Yes, I messed up the code numbers. I am curious if that is what is causing the car to overheat and the thermostat or water pump are fine, especially since I pulled that code up and before it started to move the temp gauge I did notice that the fan was kicking on after even a short ride.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Need to address the overheating issue soon otherwise there won't be a concern for vibration or VCM or trans issues moving forward. If the Pilot has the original radiator this should be inspected for corrosion, blockage and leaks. The ATF lines run through the lower part of the radiator and are known to corrode, leak and break.
I know, I am just getting so frustrated with this car right now. It all started because my AC compressor was burning up, I took it in knowing my boots were torn and said screw it, replace them. I'll inspect the radiator and lines, thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I replaced both of the front CV axles on my 04 Pilot last year and used the premium Napa axles because the OEM axels had torn boots. With the new axles, I had a bad shudder above about 20mph. I bought new boots, dismantled the OEM axles, cleaned and regreased them, and installed new boots. I reinstalled the OEM drivers side axle on the Pilot and the shudder was diminished but not gone. So I put the OEM passenger side axel back on, and the shudder was gone. By then I was past the 30-day return period for the Napa axles, so I just tossed them and kept using the OEM ones. Seems like aftermarket axles causing vibrations on Pilots is a common issue.
This is my issue, when I looked it up after having the axles replaced I pulled up the same info, then that fault code came up that one time I ran the check and I told the mechanic and he put it in my head about the torque converter. So with what is being mention here from Nail Grease, maybe that code was because of the ECT. I'm wondering if I should start there and if it still overheats then replace the thermostat. If it's not that then I'll inspect the radiator and lines and see about the water pump.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,276 Posts
I’ve often heard uncomplimentary things on this forum about aftermarket axles. As much as I like to save a buck, if the time comes I'll bite the bullet and get OEM axles. Same for sensors and pressure switches. And VTM-4 fluid.

·
Registered
11,432 Posts
I’ve often heard uncomplimentary things on this forum about aftermarket axles. As much as I like to save a buck, if the time comes I'll bite the bullet and get OEM axles. Same for sensors and pressure switches. And VTM-4 fluid.
I'm no longer rolling the 🎲🎲 on aftermarket CV axles. I did have a problem with the boot being improperly fitted on a brand new OEM axle before.
SMP is your friend for sensors and switches.

Reactions: plplplpl
1 - 20 of 29 Posts