Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a 2005 Honda pilot 167,000 miles from my local dealer, I drove it for a week or so and I noticed a vibration or shutter between 25-35 mph, doesn't do it every time but, just occasionally. I since have read several suggestions on here about changing the shift solenoid, fluid change, and even external filter. Where does one suggest to start ?

Also I see several mentions of tire rotation and balance what is the issue with this ?

Also one other suggestion I read what a rear axle fluid change?

Sorry to bring up an old situation just not sure where to start ?

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot
94 Posts
I picked up a 2005 Honda pilot 167,000 miles from my local dealer, I drove it for a week or so and I noticed a vibration or shutter between 25-35 mph, doesn't do it every time but, just occasionally. I since have read several suggestions on here about changing the shift solenoid, fluid change, and even external filter. Where does one suggest to start ?

Also I see several mentions of tire rotation and balance what is the issue with this ?

[/QUOTE hey I had the same problem and it turned out to be a bent rim and out of balance tires I got a high speed balancing problem solved it was missing two weights had the rim straightened out also sometimes the dealership lets the vehicles sit in the lot for a while creating a flat spot on the tires and dry rot I would start with the cheapest repair which is a balance and tires if necessary I also had a problem where I changed the drive axle and tires out to be a manufacturer defect on the cheapest drive axle I bought changed it again with a quality brand no more vibration not to say that’s your problem just giving you some direction but start with balance and inspection of tires then tie rods then ball joints and so forth good luck brother

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok I see I'm 99 percent sure mine is a transmission issue but the people prior did have tires put on a couple of months before the trade in.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot
94 Posts
Ok I see I'm 99 percent sure mine is a transmission issue but the people prior did have tires put on a couple of months before the trade in.
Did you change the fluid and if you did you must use Honda approved and the shift solonoid they do go bad but start with tranny fluid Honda if it’s a solonoid you would normally get a code

·
Registered
2,139 Posts

I would start by disabling the VCM. You can find the various optional devices to do that here: (65) DO you disable VCM, if so How? | Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums (piloteers.org)

Next I would change the transmission fluid using Valvoline full synthetic ATF. Walmart has the best price. Valvoline Multi-Vehicle (ATF) Full Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid 1 GA - Walmart.com - Walmart.com Drain out and measure and put back in the same amount but be sure to check the AT dipstick 60-90 seconds after shutting down the engine. It could take up to 3 drain and refills driving around and shifting gears between each one.

Do you notice a vibration at any other speeds? If not, balancing the tires probably won't help, although it wouldn't hurt.

Do you have service records on the vehicle?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I will check into disable the VCM and then change the fluid,

I don't have the service records I'm thinking of try to get with my local dealer and see if they can tell me anything. Car fax didn't really say anything... Or trying to locate the previous owners..

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
I will check into disable the VCM and then change the fluid,

I don't have the service records I'm thinking of try to get with my local dealer and see if they can tell me anything. Car fax didn't really say anything... Or trying to locate the previous owners..
First things first, but at that mileage there are a host of things that should have been done (and lacking service records) need to be done as soon as possible.

If it's a 4WD or AWD the rear differential and transfer case fluids should be changed.

If you can't find a record of the 105k mile maintenance, you'll want to change the timing belt, water pump, tensioner and idler pulleys as soon as possible and while you're at it, the serpentine belt and it's tensioner. It's not an entry level DIY job so view some YT videos to see if it's something you want to tackle. Otherwise it's around $1k to have someone do this. Make sure to use OEM parts.

If it were me, I'd have a good mechanic, preferably one specializing in Hondas, go over the whole car checking all the fluids, suspension parts, brakes, and run a full OBD diagnostic scan to see if there are any trouble codes.

That's probably a handful for now.

·
Registered
3,499 Posts
I would start by disabling the VCM. You can find the various optional devices to do that here: (65) DO you disable VCM, if so How? | Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums (piloteers.org)

Next I would change the transmission fluid using Valvoline full synthetic ATF. Walmart has the best price. Valvoline Multi-Vehicle (ATF) Full Synthetic Automatic Transmission Fluid 1 GA - Walmart.com - Walmart.com Drain out and measure and put back in the same amount but be sure to check the AT dipstick 60-90 seconds after shutting down the engine. It could take up to 3 drain and refills driving around and shifting gears between each one.

Do you notice a vibration at any other speeds? If not, balancing the tires probably won't help, although it wouldn't hurt.

Do you have service records on the vehicle?
All good information for the OP but he may have been spared the VCM curse err technology ;)

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
No VCM on the 05.
I'd suggest a 3 time drain and fill and drive, using Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF. This transmission was originally specd for Z1 ATF, and while Honda says their DW-1 fluid is a suitable replacement, it is being proven by many on this forum that VML is a much better choice.

Reactions: STMech

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,194 Posts
Correct, there's no VCM on 2005s and prior. It started on 2WD Pilots from 2006-2008, then metastasized to all Pilots starting in 2009.

Start with a 3x drain and fill (not flush) with Valvoline Maxlife ATF, driving a few miles hitting every gear between each D&F.

If that doesn't help, then try swapping in new OEM shift sensors.

·
Registered
2,139 Posts
Correct, there's no VCM on 2005s and prior. It started on 2WD Pilots from 2006-2008, then metastasized to all Pilots starting in 2009.

Start with a 3x drain and fill (not flush) with Valvoline Maxlife ATF, driving a few miles hitting every gear between each D&F.

If that doesn't help, then try swapping in new OEM shift sensors.
"metastasized" ... we're going to operate right away and implant a VCM killer, then we'll start chemo treatments with VML.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok Do Honda says they don't flush on the transmissions and it fixes this issue ? Do do this flush or take it to another Transmission shop and let them do the fill and drain several times ?

Also what was the issue again on new tires and vibrations? I thought someone replied but I couldn't find it.

·
Registered
10,194 Posts
Do (or get done) a 3x drain & fill with Valvoline Maxlife ATF, driving a bit so all gears engage between each D&F. It is not recommended to flush the transmission.

·
Registered
10,194 Posts
Here are the capacities for my 2006, from the "Technical Specifications" section near the end of my Owner's Manual. Check yours too, to be sure. Another good thing is to measure what comes out, for example with an old graded jug, then put the same amount back in, checking with the dipstick as you get toward full. Don't do like one flunky mechanic did once to mine and overfill it by just pouring the whole 5 liter jug in.

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Here are the capacities for my 2006, from the "Technical Specifications" section near the end of my Owner's Manual. Check yours too, to be sure. Another good thing is to measure what comes out, for example with an old graded jug, then put the same amount back in, checking with the dipstick as you get toward full. Don't do like one flunky mechanic did once to mine and overfill it by just pouring the whole 5 liter jug in.

View attachment 144502
Thank you for this information. They talk about the filter under the battery is this something you replace or just clean and reinstall?

·
Registered
10,194 Posts
On a 2006 and on, you don't really have access to the transmission filter because Honda in all its wisdom made it internal, but if on a 2005 you have access to it, consider yourself fortunate and by all means change it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
On the 2005 pilot does it have an internal filter behind the cover with the 3 screws and the metal can type filter with a nut on top that screws In? Or just the little cartridge filter like a motorcycle?

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
No VCM on the 05.
I'd suggest a 3 time drain and fill and drive, using Full Synthetic Valvoline MaxLife ATF. This transmission was originally specd for Z1 ATF, and while Honda says their DW-1 fluid is a suitable replacement, it is being proven by many on this forum that VML is a much better choice.
You are correct, no VCM on the 2005! I agree on using Maxlife ATF. A 2005 transmission is going on 16 or 17 years now. Wear and heat have taken a toll on the internal seals. The Valvoline Maxlife has a seal conditioner to help the old parts continue to function.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
On the 2005 pilot does it have an internal filter behind the cover with the 3 screws and the metal can type filter with a nut on top that screws In? Or just the little cartridge filter like a motorcycle?
I'm not sure. The 2003 and 2004 had the screw on filter. Looks like a small oil filter, with an extra pipe bolted into the end. Hides under the battery tray. I think that the 2005 may have a filter element that fits into a cylindrical housing in the same general area. In fact, I think that 2005 may have been a transition year, with both the screw on filter and the filter element used. You need to get your hands dirty and move some parts, get a good trouble light and figure it out. Look under the battery tray on top of the transmission.

If you check on Rock Auto for a 2005 Pilot ATF filter (and ignore the listings for the internal filter), I believe that they will sell you the spin on 2003 type canister, or the little cylindrical filter element. I think the 05 uses the little element, but verify your case.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts