Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings. I just took back my 05 from wife and have been Goin at it with lots of TLC.
Steering seemed a bit off and I figured some cupping on tires. Haven't been rotated in ages. Had them rotated and handling is much better but noisy as hell. Tires are relatively new. A midas guy said we should think about control arm bushings when he did brakes a few months ago. Any suggestions please?

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
267 Posts
May need new tires and alignment. Rotating the tires may have improved the noise but the damage (cupping) remained. See if this (new tires and alignment) solves the problem--you need new tires anyway. Then proceed with the suggested control arm bushings fix if problem persists.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Greetings. I just took back my 05 from wife and have been Goin at it with lots of TLC.
Steering seemed a bit off and I figured some cupping on tires. Haven't been rotated in ages. Had them rotated and handling is much better but noisy as hell. Tires are relatively new. A midas guy said we should think about control arm bushings when he did brakes a few months ago. Any suggestions please?

Sent from my SGP561 using Tapatalk
Each lower control arm contains three failure points: the two compliance bushings and the ball joint. Its easy to visually inspect all three - you're looking for splits, tears, breaks in any of the rubber. In my opinion, its not worth replacing new bushings into an old LCA - just replace the whole thing.

If handling and steering is good, they're probably OK. On a first gen these days, its more likely that handling and steering is just "not terrible", unless you've already done the front suspension previously. Pilots seem to do remarkably well with a worn out suspension.

Noise might be tires that are worn asymmetrically. If your struts are also original, they are probably shot, too, and you're wearing the insides of the tires.

Take care of the suspension parts that need doing and get an alignment before you try new tires. There's no point chewing up another set if you can avoid it.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Go for an alignment and they would tell you if you need any parts to be replaced. Any half-decent mechanic will not align your car if you have play in the tie rod ends and LCAs.
Tire noise may be normal at high level of tread wear. They become noisy as time goes. Also the road surface you drive on makes a huge difference.
So if your tread wear is beyond the point where they start hydroplanning or at the indicators, just replace them.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
t
Go for an alignment and they would tell you if you need any parts to be replaced. Any half-decent mechanic will not align your car if you have play in the tie rod ends and LCAs.
Tire noise may be normal at high level of tread wear. They become noisy as time goes. Also the road surface you drive on makes a huge difference.
So if your tread wear is beyond the point where they start hydroplanning or at the indicators, just replace them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts