Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

very high pitched noise under the car

4K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Jimsung 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello pilot owners, recently, I noticed my 08 pilot, at idle in the garage, is making a very high pitched noise that can be easily picked up from left front side under the car (under the driver's seat). I tried to hear from under the hood, can't pick up any. This noise doesn't seem change with revving the engine. Changes I have done recently including timing belt, tensioner, tensioner pulley, idler pulley, water pump, serpentine belt, transmission fluid, power steering pump fluid. I appreciate your any suggestions/hints.

#4 ·
While the engine is running?

#8 ·
Hello pilot owners, recently, I noticed my 08 pilot, at idle in the garage, is making a very high pitched noise that can be easily picked up from left front side under the car (under the driver's seat). I tried to hear from under the hood, can't pick up any. This noise doesn't seem change with revving the engine. Changes I have done recently including timing belt, tensioner, tensioner pulley, idler pulley, water pump, serpentine belt, transmission fluid, power steering pump fluid. I appreciate your any suggestions/hints. BTW, the noise sounds like this.
I added two recorded videos showing the noise:

#9 ·
Logic dictates it a result of the recent work you had done. Was it you or someone else? If you, recheck your work meticulously. If you had it done, take it back to the guy.

#10 ·
Thanks. That's my thought at the beginning since I used AISIN kits and lots people complained the noise issue with this kits. I carefully checked sounds like the noise is not from this region after all. Now, I think I found one post on this forum, which pinpoints to the fuel pump. High pitched noise
I carefully listened to this again, and the noise is indeed from the middle of the car toward the fuel tank. I will bring to dealer for a confirmation.

#11 ·
Thanks. That's my thought at the beginning since I used AISIN kits and lots people complained the noise issue with this kits. I carefully checked sounds like the noise is not from this region after all. Now, I think I found one post on this forum, which pinpoint to the fuel pump. High pitched noise
I carefully listened to this again, and the noise is indeed from the middle of the car toward the fuel tank. I will bring to dealer for a confirmation.
Hey I watched your video and I have the exact same thing. Did you ever figure it out?

#13 ·
Hey I watched your video and I have the exact same thing. Did you ever figure it out?
I located the noise is from the inside of the fuel tank, likely the fuel pump. I also noticed the noise will go away when the outside temperature is high enough, >20C. Only in the early morning, I can hear this noise and it disappears quickly when the temperature goes up. I am planning to bring it to dealer for a further check when the whether gets a bit cold.

#12 ·
The fuel pump has to be a suspect. But the fuel pump also operates briefly to get your system up to pressure before starting.
Best way to diagnose is to put it up on a lift in a garage and find the source.

#16 ·
I can confirm my 2006 with 126k has this sound on cold. Ive noticed it more so on colder days. Kind of annoying and it wasn't there a month ago when weather was warmer. More research points to posts going back as far as 2005, with new pilots even having this same sound deriving from fuel pump.