Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do not feel very comfortable with the Honda security system. Yeah, it has got immobilizer but if the door is open, a theif can clean my inside of the car. It does not have any of the advance features like auto shut-off etc. Anybody installed a third party alarm system? tway22 has installed Clifford but I left a few private message for him but no response. Are there any issues installing a third party security system?

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
68 Views and 0 replies :confused: :(

·
Registered
602 Posts
Though my experience is limited, everything I've ever read on the subject says to purchase a security system from the vehicle manufacturer. Aftermarket systems, from what I've read and been told, are prone to causing electrical problems and false alarms.

If a pro wants to steal your car, they will no matter what alarm system you've got. The alarm that comes with the Pilot seems to be adequate to prevent an inexperienced opportunist.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
The addition of sensors might be considered.

Shock sensors and glass breakage might be worth consideration. I've read on other forums how some of these have been added to other manufacturer's OEM systems.

Here is a link to a company that sells these type of sensors. A cheaper route than a full aftermarket system.

·
Registered
15,140 Posts
Forget the alarm, get good insurance!

Theft and vandalism is covered under comprehensive.
Low or no deductible comprehensive is cheap.

·
Registered
199 Posts
My sister has an aftermarket security system on a Honda Odyssey. It's a nightmare of locking when it shouldn't, false alarms, and not locking when it's supposed to. It's very tricky to uninstall and would cost more than they can afford. Get some recommendations on which ones work before you go that route.

·
Registered
2,484 Posts
pilot007 said:
68 Views and 0 replies :confused: :(
I've asked about this in the past and there doesn't appear to be a lot of experience here about this. I can't offer any insight but would be as pleased as you if someone had some experience.

I did add an aftermarket system to my 92 accord and there were a few initial problems with the installation but no long lasting adverse affects but a lot has changed in 12 years.

·
Registered
39 Posts
pilot007 said:
Anybody installed a third party alarm system? tway22 has installed Clifford but I left a few private message for him but no response. Are there any issues installing a third party security system?
I had the dealer install a Clifford system on our Pilot. It has a Remote Start feature which I really like. I can start the vehicle and get the air cond going when it is 100+ here in the Desert.

We have not had any problems with this system. I did set off the alarm one day when I set the alarm with the fob and tried to open the door using the key in the door lock. I seems that you must set the alarm with the fob and unlock with the fob also.

Other than that, I really like the alarm system and have been told that Clifford is a good system.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Have you tried the crutchfield web site? They're overpriced but they do carry the Crime Guard series of alarms. This series of alarms have the basic functions (short of the auto start feature) of a typical alarm but you get the added bonus of having a factory compatible wiring that has all the plugs for a very easy DIY install. I installed it on an 1998 Accord with only a few spicing into the factory wire. You should call them just to be sure that they have the wiring for the pilot. Never had a problem with it. Another good thing about the buying from them is their return policy. No questions and return shipping is free.

Talk about no responses, you should see my post with 139 reads and 0 replies! (BTW it was about the "touring model with tilt down passenger mirror that nobody seems to know anything about.)

Ace

·
Registered
28 Posts
curious

As for the discussion on security system I am curious to find out this:
While purchasing the pilot, we were offered as honda accessary security system for $450.00. I took it. I am wondering if they charged me for something which was already there?

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
We had the dealer install a non-Honda alarm on our 99 Odyssey LX. Have had no problems as of yet. The only issue I have is it is not passive. Other than that, none.:roadtrip:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Re: curious

muktibodh said:
As for the discussion on security system I am curious to find out this:
While purchasing the pilot, we were offered as honda accessary security system for $450.00. I took it. I am wondering if they charged me for something which was already there?
It's standard on the EX and an accessory on the LX.

kad

1 - 12 of 12 Posts