Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Installed a Muzzler on our 2009 Pilot about 10,000 mile ago. I would say it works perfectly. No Eco mode 90 % of the time. Once in a while if I climb a long hill or get stuck in traffic my ECO light will come on, but as soon as the engine cools a bit ECO stays off. To me, that is about perfect.
Good Product. Very pleased.

·
Registered
21 Posts
got mine in the mail yesterday- just installed it. Easy-peasy, didn't have to remove the engine cover. Wife got home about 2 hours ago, and it's 25 degrees outside, and about 20 degrees warmer int he garage, so the engine was cooled off.

We're taking it on a long road trip this weekend, so I'll update how that goes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
2010 Touring model, this is probably covered somewhere here, but I can't find a way to clear a P0128 code. I have an UltraGauge that will read it, but it will not reset it for some reason. I don't have a problem driving it as long as I know the muzzler is probably causing it given that the weather has recently cooled off quite a bit, but I would like to know how to reset it...

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm a brand new pilot owner (2011, 86K miles) and just found this forum. I'm interested in the VCMuzzler II but can't PM yet since I need 5 posts. Can you PM me with price? I'm definitely interested.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Got my VCMuzzler II in the mail and installed same day. Part was shipped same day it was ordered and arrived within 10 days. Installed with ease - didn't even have to remove any other parts (2011). Immediately test drove and noticed the difference. Once warm, the engine did not shudder and try to kick in or out of ECO at lower speeds (35-40 mph). Very thankful.

Took it on a longer trip with highway miles this weekend. 2 hours one way - no ECO - no shudder/shimmy - smooth ride. Works as advertised.

Highway mileage was 22 mpg. Not sure if I lost anything as I hadn't been over that mpg since I owned the car. I've only owned it a month today and I've put on about 2K miles. Overall I was averaging (all miles) around 18.5 mpg. I'll see if that starts to dip now. I was pretty pleased with 22 mpg given the stories I've heard from others about loss of mpg.

Right now all is working well. I'm pleased. Verbatim was easy to work with and responsive via personal email. Part came as advertised with directions and install was easy! So far so good!

·
Registered
26 Posts
So with this muzzler installed with the blue resistor, is it common for the ECO to kick in if cruising around 10-25mph traffic? Mine did that, then wouldn't come on once I strarted going good past the 30mph mark. Safe to say it's doing it's job?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ruzty1311 - I need to let others with more experience weigh in. My initial experience is that it has not kicked in at lower speeds. Not sure if it's the colder air - winter in NY - that keeps the engine cooler. If your in CA, it may need a higher resistor to account for warmer weather. That's what I've read so far, anyway. I'll be interested to learn more.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ruzty1311 - I need to let others with more experience weigh in. My initial experience is that it has not kicked in at lower speeds. Not sure if it's the colder air - winter in NY - that keeps the engine cooler. If your in CA, it may need a higher resistor to account for warmer weather. That's what I've read so far, anyway. I'll be interested to learn more.
Sounds about right. I might try a higher risistor to see what it does. Actually I think that was my next troubleshooting step haha

·
Registered
1 Posts
Did you have the key on that morning before you installed it? If the key was on within about 30 minutes of installing the Muzzler then you set a P0118 code when you unplugged it. You need to get the code read to know...it could be one of hundreds of other codes for something not even related.
John - What's the deal about the key being on within 30 minutes? I had this happen when I removed VCMuzzler (direct connection) after running the engine with it for some time (swap was done with engine off, but within 30 minutes).

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a 2010 Pilot (I have had since new in November 2009)
Variety of issues, but a low acceleration, I do get shudder once in a while.
I was not aware of the ECO issues and now I need to turn my attention to that.
Does everyone experience the shuddering when it is re-accelerating after it cycles out of the ECO mode?
Is this similiar to the GM issues when they first came out with the TH700 transmission in the 80's?
Thank you for any info

·
Registered
14 Posts
One important question I'm hoping someone can answer...

I already do have the Muzzler.. but been currently running without it installed the past 2 years.. as my pilot has minimal issues with my driving habits..

But.. after reading all the threads about the issues of Honda's VCM...

Will using the Muzzler help prolong the life of my engine?

I'm currently at 140k, and for the most part all is good... but at this point in my Pilots life.. I want to prolong the life of it, and not concerned about optimal milage..

·
Registered
14 Posts
Has anyone been able to reach Verbatim? I have a muzzler that needs repair and he's offered to repair it but i have not been able to get a reach of him with a return address via PM.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2010 wherein I've also experienced a low RPM, light throttle shudder. I noticed it would stop if i applied more throttle. Ultimately it went away after a transmission fluid drain & fill. Not sure whether it will work for you but food for thought.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I purchased my first 2011 pilot right after my daughter bought the same thing both with about 110,000 mles. The only irritating thing on the cars was the hesitation and vibration plus lack of power when ECO was inguaged. After research I installed the S-VCM on both vehicles. The difference was immediate and amazing. No hesitation, vibration or jerking. I am also getting 1 1/2 -2 more MPH. Installation took about 5 min. on each car.No resistors to contend with in any weather, simple plug and go.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts