Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

VCMuzzler - For Disabling VCM Now Available

149K views 269 replies 144 participants last post by  verbatim 
#1 · (Edited)
Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) is a technology introduced by Honda on its V6 engines to improve EPA fuel efficiency numbers. It involves using the PCM to shut down cylinders at cruising conditions. During VCM, the valves to deactivated cylinders are disabled, along with the spark and fuel supply. This improves fuel efficiency slightly, however, there are other side effects that many have discovered, including Honda themselves. These include:

Vibrations in the drivetrain due to unbalanced engine operation
Oil bypassing
Excess oil consumption
Plug fouling
Misfiring
Engine damage

All of these issues are well documented owner complaints, which have led to a class action lawsuit that Honda has lost. Honda has issued warranty extensions covering damage caused by VCM operation for some model years. In addition, Honda has also issued a TSB for fixing those that are experiencing vibration issues.

Why not do something about it before these issues occur? Stop the annoying VCM vibrations. Prevent long term damage to your engine, aggravating warranty claims, costly repairs, fights with dealerships and vehicle down time.

The VCMuzzler is a simple device that can be installed and removed in minutes without cutting into the OEM harness at all. Simply plug and go. The VCMuzzler works in conjunction with your Engine Coolant Temperature sensor to keep the engine control module from activating VCM mode. When installed correctly, the VCMuzzler will not cause any Check Engine Light codes to be shown or stored for your dealer to see. All of your cylinders will be firing all of the time, just like they were designed to. You have full V6 power all of the time, with only a loss of about 1 MPG of fuel economy. Enjoy increased driveability, no vibrations, no hesitation and peace of mind, knowing that your likelihood of experiencing the above issues is greatly reduced.

The VCMuzzler works on the following models. Note that not all trim levels of certain models offer VCM. Note also that the VCMuzzler may work on models other than those listed, but has not been tested. If you are uncertain if your year, model , and trim level could benefit from this device, please ask.

Honda
Accord 2008-2012
Pilot 2009-2015
Odyssey 2008-2015

Acura
RDX 2013-2015
TL 2009-2012

Disclaimer: Use this device at your own risk. While I have not experienced any issues using this device myself, I will not be responsible for any loss of warranty, engine damage, or any other issues arising from the use of this product. I will stand behind the workmanship and will replace any manufacturer’s defects in the device itself.

Currently, I’m only accepting Paypal as a form of payment.

The eBay link is as follows:

VCMuzzler on eBay

****EDIT**** Temporarily Sold out on Ebay for the time being due to ebay new seller restrictions.

P.M. me with your full name and address and I'll either send you a paypal invoice (U.S. and Canada), or details for email money transfer (Canadian residents only). US and Canadian residents can also pre-pay using cheque or money order. Again, P.M. me your info and I'll revert back with instructions for this last option.

If you wish to read more about the development of this device, please click on the following link:

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/82-2012-2015-pilot/70873-vcm-disable-new-better-way.html

See less See more
#8 ·
Sorry to all about the shipping costs. I've now sent out invoices to everyone that purchased one that includes the shipping cost. I thought I had set that up correctly on the listing but still learning as I go.

I should have these sent out by Wednesday at the latest.

I have enough parts to make 100 of them, and that's how many I originally listed on ebay, however because I'm not a verified seller in their books, my listing got taken down and I had to limit it to 10 as that's all they allow me to sell per month on ebay right now. Once I successfully complete these transactions and get positive feedback, I can ask for my limit to be increased but there's no guarantee they will. Might have to wait a month, sell 10 more then reapply for an increase.

Sucks because I know there's lots of interest and I hate making people wait. I can see why they do that on ebay though, I'm sure there are lots of scams out there and this is their way of limiting fraud.

#11 ·
Agree with this. Should allow you to lower the price for us too ;-).

Just do shipping quotes by PM and let us know what your paypal e-mail address is.

#16 ·
I agree with this also. I'll do just that, but for now, I just want to get these first 10 orders out before I take more. I'll be ready to take more orders by about Thursday. I'll post details at that time.

Thanks for everyone's patience. I hope there's just as much interest once I post on the Oddy, Accord, RDX and TL boards. :)

#12 ·
By the way, I'll be including installation instructions with each shipment. It's pretty easy, but there will be pictures / diagrams showing how to do this.

I'm going to concentrate on getting these first 10 out as fast as possible so that I get good reviews from everyone. I don't want to fall down on the customer service side.

After that's done, for those that aren't willing to wait for ebay to let me post more, I'll send out instructions for how we can do this through paypal directly.

Thanks everyone for your support and patience so far.

#22 ·
Wish I hadn't missed the IPO :)

I would be one who is NOT willing to wait on eBay to let you post more, so as soon as you want to do it via PayPal directly, I'm game. I just took my first trip with my new 2015 and this VCM/ECO mode drove us nuts.

#13 ·
Ok, so by request, here's some pics on the install. Again, I'll provide instructions with the unit, but basically it's this

1. Remove engine cover (super simple)
2. Locate ECT1 sensor on drivers side of engine
3. Get your hand in there, press the flat release tab, remove connector.
4. Plug female connector from harness into male side of VCMuzzler.
5. Plug female connector on VCMuzzler into ECT1 sensor.
6. Re-install engine cover.

Attachments

#15 ·
Yes, that's exactly it. The engine is actually running at the same temperature as always because that's controlled by the fans and the thermostat, which seem to be unaffected by this mod. The PCM just thinks the engine has not reached operating temperature yet, so it doesn't activate VCM. Haven't seen any other side effects of this mod after over a month of running it full time.

#26 ·
Okay, so the IPO are out the door and those that ordered from Ebay will be getting theirs soon. Once you have them, please provide your Ebay feedback so that I can apply to get my limits increased.

Until that time, I'm now ready to start taking more orders through either Email money transfer (Canadian residents only) or Paypal.

If you would like to order one, please send me a private message on here with your full name and shipping address (so I can determine shipping), and your email address. If you are going to pay with Paypal, I'll send you a paypal invoice. If Canadian residents wish to pay by email money transfer, I will send you the amount and the email address to send it to.

As mentioned, it does come with installation and operation notes. Looking forward to feedback from those that are getting them soon.

For those of you that have already sent me your details above, I'll be sending you a Paypal invoice soon so you can confirm your order, you don't need to resend.

Seems like I'm going to be busy here for a while.... and I haven't even posted on the other boards yet.

Cheers,

#28 · (Edited)
So I went to a couple other boards and before I posted anything, I asked the moderators if it would be ok if I did. The reception I've received has been very cold so far. I'm not exactly sure why that is, but they are very hesitant to let me post there. No links to this forum because it would be too "confusing" to their members, and they don't really even want me to post on their own forums about it.

It seems like a very odd reaction to me. I didn't realize moderators would be so protective that they wouldn't want someone to post about a solution to a problem from another board. It's an issue that spans multiple makes and models. All the boards have posts about people complaining about VCM.

Likely going to give up trying since I've encountered so much opposition. I feel bad that there's others out there that could use this solution but are not allowed to hear about it.

#29 ·
I think you should let the product sell itself through end-user testimonies rather than putting VCM down
Relax and keep producing exclusively on Piloteers.org for now.
Wait for the first ten buyers to run them for a few weeks at least.
As a Software Engineer, it’s unusual to let the Software Developer do a UAT on their own code
The listing on eBay carries too much information against Honda Marketing
I believe one of the moderators did advise you initially.
Most of the other forums are run by Honda disciples.
Just my 2 cents.
DON’T BE DISCOURAGED! BEEN IN SAME BOAT BEFORE.

#32 ·
I know its called VCMuzzler but are we pronouncing it as V-C-muzzler or V-C-M-uzzler.

#34 ·
It depends on how far you want to go with this, but there are some very simple and effective ways to get some internet marketing for your product.

First of all, like another user mentioned you should create your own webpage for the product. www.vcmuzzler.com, www.vcmdisable.com, those are some domains available to you that would allow you to develop a simple website with an ordering form, user testimonies, installation instructions, etc. Ultimately as the website starts to build click count it will move up in the search engines and come up when users are looking for a solution to disabling VCM (though you'll want to target the audience that is searching for terms such as "Honda Pilot Vibration" as must users have no idea what VCM is). In the long run this will be WAY cheaper than selling through EBay. You don't need to get double dinged by both Paypal and Ebay.

Next I would create a facebook fan page. More marketing, allows you to more easily communicate with a broader user base that covers multiple vehicle models. Easily allows people to "tag" family members/friends experiencing the same problem with their Honda vehicles and gets word out faster than you can if you try to go to the forums and individually manage communication with users across all message boards.

Another suggestion would be that I would limit yourself to selling no more than ~50 of them for the first few months. Get them out there and make sure you don't run into any unforeseen issues. Let the feedback start rolling in and if all feedback is good then start to open the floodgate. It's a fairly simple part and I don't foresee you'll run into any issues with manufacturing quality (other than keeping up with demand when it builds, at which point I would get this in front of a manufacturer to have it built in a production environment instead of in your garage).

Best of luck to you.

#35 ·
I already bought vcmuzzler.com and vcmuzzler.ca right after the last user suggested it. I'm surprised .com comes up as available, it shouldn't be. I haven't created a website of course, so if you enter that it should just go to some generic page.

Plan to set up a simple website, problem is I have a full time job I have to take care of too, ha ha.

I don't think it's going to take off much past the 50 you stated, which is pretty much where it's at right now, but you're right, I'm not planning on any mass campaign at the moment for just that reason.

Appreciate the suggestions very much, lots of good info there!!

#40 ·
I own a 2008 Honda Accord that is burning oil bad due to the vcm and BTW I sent you a pm for a vcmuzzler, I will be more than happy to not only post my results on here, but on the accord forum as well advertising the vcmuzzler. I think this is great what you are doing. I watched a documentary on the men who built America this past weekend and several top people were clearly against electricity as a lighting resource which would run kerosene out of business. Primarily JP Morgan's father because he didn't want his son to waste his time and money on the idea, but that's because they had ties to kerosene or thought it was a waste of money, and failure would ruin his name. I say this because you have a solution to a problem that many people need right now and a lot more that have no clue what their problem is. So please don't get discouraged over any negativity from others. I deliver mail for the post office and without even having the vcmuzzler on my car I have been advertising it for you! I have been waiting and excited to know that you have been working on a second one that will be better for those of us in warmer climates! I'm ready! Thanks again for your efforts! -Jeremy

#41 ·
Just taking a moment to add...another satisfied customer. VCM muzzler arrived quickly. Package was well presented with clear instructions including pictures. I was done installing the part within 5 mins or less. Took the Pilot for a ride and it felt as if I was driving a different vehicle. I'm glad and relieved after installing the "muzzler". I was ready to trade in the 14 pilot for a 16. Now, I can wait till prices come down from MSRP and hopefully transfer the muzzler to the 16.

Special thanks to verbatim for providing this product.

#43 · (Edited)
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.