Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do experience some rare engine vibration on my 2019 ExI when shifting on low rpm(2000). I am not sure if it is the VCM that causes the vibration. I read a lot about VCM and to be honest I am a bit confused. People on the thread seems not to like having a VCM and they have installed this so called VCM muzzler or disabling the VCM. My question is, how bad is the VCM? In what mileage will I see the effect in the transmission/engine?

·
Registered
Glorificatus Oleum Mutante
12,420 Posts
I do experience some rare engine vibration on my 2019 ExI when shifting on low rpm(2000). I am not sure if it is the VCM that causes the vibration. I read a lot about VCM and to be honest I am a bit confused. People on the thread seems not to like having a VCM and they have installed this so called VCM muzzler or disabling the VCM. My question is, how bad is the VCM? In what mileage will I see the effect in the transmission/engine?
The pilot I rebuilt was in an accident at 19k miles. 2 years old and 2 hot summers in Houston traffic with an active VCM and having the Torque Converter Clutch Lock issue never addressed = black DW-1 ATF Syrup.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,702 Posts
A lot of people on here have muzzled the VCM. There are several different products that will do that. Do your research, they are easy to install.

Keep in mind some do not touch the VCM and do not have any issues at all long term. I don't know why some people have problems and some don't.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Many threads about this issue. Read this one with the fix and TSB referenced.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
I believe you sir is a mechanic. What do u suggest for me to do to address the issue on VCM.
No professional training. Just bold enough to cut out the bad and replace with good. Call me crazy. 🤪 Came here looking for answers like everyone else. Learned a lot about this vehicle in the last 9 months. Installing a VCM disabling device saved my warranty-less investment. I'm winning at the moment.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
871 Posts
You are getting the vibration because your V6 is only running on one bank of 3 cylinders because of the VCM and the engine is out of balance. Quite a few Piloteers here have had issues and installed VCM disabling devices to keep all the cylinders firing all the time. I installed the SVCM device last week and my Pilot is much smoother now and has no hesitation when you step on the gas at any speed. I have absolutely no regrets on installing this device.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did u sir installed the device by yourself? Or do I need to bring it to the dealership? I do have 11k miles on my 2019 EXL Pilot. I am afraid that if I will do it myself it will void the warranty.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Did u sir installed the device by yourself? Or do I need to bring it to the dealership? I do have 11k miles on my 2019 EXL Pilot. I am afraid that if I will do it myself it will void the warranty.
Yes, and It is an easy install and basically plug and play. I don't think the dealership would like you having a device like that installed when you are going in for warranty work. If you don't feel comfortable installing it yourself, I would go to an independent shop. Do you have extended warranty coverage and are you planning on keeping the vehicle past the warranty period? You can also disconnect and remove the device prior to a dealer visit to avoid a hassle.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,196 Posts
If it's still under warranty, Let the dealer try and fix it? Rare engine vibration when shifting at low RPM?
Ya'll sound like you drive a manual tranny! LOL

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
No mechanic needed.
Don't know about warranty.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,196 Posts
A lot of people on here have muzzled the VCM. There are several different products that will do that. Do your research, they are easy to install.

Keep in mind some do not touch the VCM and do not have any issues at all long term. I don't know why some people have problems and some don't.
No issues,
Like me, w/ an 08 FWD, and now added a 15 4wd to the stable

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
This is my observation/opinion: in the 3rd generation Pilots, the VCM system is quite smooth and invisible for the first couple of years. Somewhere around 40,000 to 70,000 miles, problems with the torque converter and transmission seem to come up. If you are lucky, you are still in the Honda warranty period. If you aren't, you have to eat the cost of repair by yourself. The vehicle computer causes the TC clutch to slip in order to mask the vibration of running on 3 cylinders. This is the primary cause of early transmission failure in the 3rd gen Pilots. Use of a VCM disabling device helps to prevent this problem

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Out of ignorance about what VCM does and after replacing cats and O2 sensors, I finally figured out that I was fighting a losing battle without disabling the VCM. 2012 Honda Crosstour is still going at 251k miles and counting. No check engine light! 😁

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
871 Posts
Out of ignorance about what VCM does and after replacing cats and O2 sensors, I finally figured out that I was fighting a losing battle without disabling the VCM. 2012 Honda Crosstour is still going at 251k miles and counting. No check engine light! 😁
I'm hoping for the same result without replacing the cats ,O2's and injectors

·
Registered
183 Posts
Try to bring it in and have the dealer diagnose it first, 11K is a little to early for any issues to come up unless it is a manufacturing issue. SVCM is a device you should try for yourself and see if it works for you. In my case it didn't - caused unknown weird mettalic rattle coming from engine or transmission (didn't bother to keep it on long enough to investigate where it was coming from). After device removal all came back to "normal". Instead will be installing ATF cooler along with a fresh ATF filter and doing another drain and fill. Order one and see if it works

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Try to bring it in and have the dealer diagnose it first, 11K is a little to early for any issues to come up unless it is a manufacturing issue. SVCM is a device you should try for yourself and see if it works for you. In my case it didn't - caused unknown weird mettalic rattle coming from engine or transmission (didn't bother to keep it on long enough to investigate where it was coming from). After device removal all came back to "normal". Instead will be installing ATF cooler along with a fresh ATF filter and doing another drain and fill. Order one and see if it works
I doubt the dealership will resolve the issue because it doesn't happen all the times. My dealership and maybe most of them works only if the issue is pronounced.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts