Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Home of the 302k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
14,142 Posts
Hi Everyone,
I am a newbie in this forum, I just acquired a 2012 Honda Pilot with 80k miles, I am very happy with it except when "ECO" light comes on, the vehicles feels heavy and lack of power. I admit I did not do my homework before buying it, saw it at the dealer, liked it, and just jumped on the boat, Now I am finding out about this VCM and the problems that can cause. Truthfully I am disappointed.
Now I see several systems out on the market that would stop this VCM system from coming on. Has any of them resolve the temp gauge reading? Which one would you recommend?

Happy Driving:)
While some claim they have no issues, everyone who has an active VCM eventually have issues. Sight unseen until the engine codes come. I'd get a VCM disabling device asap. Just regularly inspect the cooling system and make sure both cooling fans are both working properly. Enjoy running on 6 cylinders all of the time.
The Honda V6 engine is a great engine. Keep a clean Air Filter, MAF, and an air tight crack free intake hose, with the VCM deactivated, it will have many trouble free miles without emission codes.
You may want to check your transmission fluid to see if it's bright red and clean.
Has the timing belt, water pump been replaced? Honda recommends replacing the TB every 105k miles or 7 years, which ever comes first. Hopefully they didn't sell this vehicle to you needing this maintenance performed, since the vehicle is 8 years old.

·
Registered
14,142 Posts
Actually, we just recently discovered that the VTEC on the second gen Pilot is a blank lobe for VCM activation, there is no high lift cam like you'd normally see... so it has VTEC but not for performance, it's to shut of cylinders.
5 months ago, I got chastised for calling a Vtec solenoid a VVT solenoid. On RockAuto, there called VVT solenoid. What's your assessment of this convo.

·
Registered
14,142 Posts
What is the Honda part called?

My thoughts are VVT is valve timing and VTEC is valve lift, so I would say calling it VVT is inaccurate in the purest form. Now my Traverse has variable camshaft timing since it's DOHC but that would be really challenging to implement on a SOHC motor since intake and exhaust valves are controlled from the same camshaft.
Not to intended to confuse the conversation. For the 2008 Honda in my link, Honda sells
1. Switch, Oil Pressure (tec)
2. Solinoid Assembly, Honda

(Which is just the solinoid with its wire connector)
3. Valve Assembly, Spool
So we have 3 terms I'm trying to get straight here. VCM, Vtec, VVT. What applies and doesn't.

·
Registered
14,142 Posts
Here is a picture of the OEM camshaft for the front of the engine... notice how 1 of the cylinders has VTEC cam lobes but they are "blank" instead of higher lift?

View attachment 139666

The below camshaft is for a K series I4, but you can see the high lift VTEC lobes.

View attachment 139667
I get that Honda changed what Vtec does. Are the parts I mentioned above named properly for their function. Again, I learned the terms I use from RockAuto. Obviously Honda's part names are vague and not exactly correct either, since There is no working parts using the term "VCM."

·
Registered
14,142 Posts
I don't see how the name is correct... as far as I know nobody has a VVL application on a SOHC engine since you need to be able to control intake and exhaust independently.

My opinion, wrong name.
That's very very strange because not only does RockAuto uses the term VVT but also many auto parts stores.
Ty

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.