Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a used 2013 Honda Pilot with 152K miles on it and I did the TB replacement.

I planned to keep this Pilot for as long I can so I am reading up on the net what are the flaws known to be found on Pilots and one most mentioned is the VCM.

After more reading, I think I would rather have it disabled and would this be a good choice to get for my 2013 Pilot?

VCM Tuner II

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,180 Posts
They all do the same end result.

I'm using the SVCM on 2 of our Pilots. They work well- no issues.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
11,427 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I recently purchased a used 2013 Honda Pilot with 152K miles on it and I did the TB replacement.

I planned to keep this Pilot for as long I can so I am reading up on the net what are the flaws known to be found on Pilots and one most mentioned is the VCM.

After more reading, I think I would rather have it disabled and would this be a good choice to get for my 2013 Pilot?

VCM Tuner II

I bought a VCMTuner II from a fellow Piloteer member and installed it on our ‘17 Ridgeline. Could not be happier. Probably makes no difference, but I like the longer wires on the Tuner II.....allows the “black box“ to be mounted further away from engine heat and “hidden” under the cold air snorkel. I also like the “green wire ground“ on the Tuner II that allows the disabler to be disabled quickly/easily. 🤷‍♂️ Just being nit picky.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My biggest concern is overheating warning since I am Deaf and I do read that VCM tuner have audio warning option but will both tuner still allow PCM to detect overheating and give visual alert on dashboard?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
From what I read at the two websites, they both “disable” themselves if an “overheat” should occur. Monitoring ECT, I notice the Tuner II seems to return actual ECT displayed when the cold rad tank temp reaches about 180F.

Reactions: TechBill

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
My biggest concern is overheating warning since I am Deaf and I do read that VCM tuner have audio warning option but will both tuner still allow PCM to detect overheating and give visual alert on dashboard?
For peace of mind, before installing a VCM disabling device, I'd check the cooling system to make sure that everything is functioning properly. In the morning when the vehicle is cool, does the cooling fans come on when the AC compressor comes on? After the engine is warmed up to operating temperature, turn the AC off. Do the cooling fan come on after reaching 206°F? If you dont have an OBD II scanner, just know both fans click on after the engine is warmed up. If this checks out, you can feel better about installing a VCM disabling device.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I can't speak for the S-VCM, but this is what I observe monitoring ECT using the Tuner II and enabled.....CT2 below +/-180F, CT1 is fake news, constantly displays 161-163F. Once CT2 goes above +/-180F, CT1 begins to display actual ECT. About the only way to get CT2 above +/-180F is idling, a/c off.

Attachments

·
Registered
2015 Pilot EX 4wd
10 Posts
Just installed a VCM Tuner 2 on my 2015 with 89k (just purchased it at ~86k). Installation was very easy, <30min. No check engine light triggered, eco mode no longer comes on, and FWIW my stock temp gauge hangs around the exact same mark as without the VCM 2 (needle just below the 3rd hash line from the bottom).

I did run a test before installing it as @Nail Grease suggested to verify my engine fans came on properly - they did. I found my fans to be very quiet and was unable to notice them running while doing local/city driving with windows down (no AC). I had to just let it sit and idle on a 80+deg day and wait for them to come on.

Haven't put many miles on since installing it but I can tell you that my pilot is way smoother now without the VCM kicking on and off all the time. Very happy to finally do this. I ordered an Innova 5510 OBD2 scanner to keep a close eye on things but so far so good!

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
Just installed a VCM Tuner 2 on my 2015 with 89k (just purchased it at ~86k). Installation was very easy, <30min. No check engine light triggered, eco mode no longer comes on, and FWIW my stock temp gauge hangs around the exact same mark as without the VCM 2 (needle just below the 3rd hash line from the bottom).

I did run a test before installing it as @Nail Grease suggested to verify my engine fans came on properly - they did. I found my fans to be very quiet and was unable to notice them running while doing local/city driving with windows down (no AC). I had to just let it sit and idle on a 80+deg day and wait for them to come on.

Haven't put many miles on since installing it but I can tell you that my pilot is way smoother now without the VCM kicking on and off all the time. Very happy to finally do this. I ordered an Innova 5510 OBD2 scanner to keep a close eye on things but so far so good!
Oh man!
A 2013 with 152k and the VCM disabled.., Your in the catbird seat!
Does it idle smoothly?

·
Registered
1,036 Posts

FWIW, the factory temp needle stops moving right at 160F actual coolant temp. When does the needle start moving again?……who knows.🤷‍♂️ Actual normal operating temp floats at a 180F-190F range fans on and/or vehicle moving (air flowing thru radiator). No airflow thru rad, ECU turns fans on right at 205F. A/C also turns fans on, even at cold start. I can’t hear fans on low speed at all…..definitely hear fans on hi-speed.

·
Registered
2015 Pilot EX 4wd
10 Posts
FWIW, the factory temp needle stops moving right at 160F actual coolant temp. When does the needle start moving again?……who knows.🤷‍♂️ Actual normal operating temp floats at a 180F-190F range fans on and/or vehicle moving (air flowing thru radiator). No airflow thru rad, ECU turns fans on right at 205F. A/C also turns fans on, even at cold start. I can’t hear fans on low speed at all…..definitely hear fans on hi-speed.
Right, I've just read about the factory temp needle with VCM disablers sometimes showing a lower position than normal, so I wasn't sure what to expect out of it. Can't remember if that was from people with the Tuner 2 or systems.

Adding a separate gauge that can show you the actual temps would be nice. But that's also why getting an OBD2 seemed like a good idea so I can at least see where things are running.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I suppose if you want to test whether the S-VCM or VCM Tuners actually have the protection feature that reads actual temps in an overheat you could pull the radiator fan fuses/relays and see if it jumps to normal/just above. Obviously don't walk away and let it overheat, shut it off as soon as you verify it works.

·
Registered
11,427 Posts
I suppose if you want to test whether the S-VCM or VCM Tuners actually have the protection feature that reads actual temps in an overheat you could pull the radiator fan fuses/relays and see if it jumps to normal/just above. Obviously don't walk away and let it overheat, shut it off as soon as you verify it works.
I'm patiently waiting for the outcome of this test. 😁

1 - 16 of 16 Posts