Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2010 pilot lx 104k miles orig owner... we had a mechanic change the coil for #1 cylinder and two weeks later the light came back on with the same message .
should we put a brand new honda or other coil for #1 and then install the VCM Tuner II that supposedly adjusts to the climate?
please can you let me know thanks... walter

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
Are you getting a misfire code for #1 cylinder? (What is the code?). This does not necessarily mean there is a problem with the coil.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
People and mechanics that just change things out, throw money at it just because a CEL/MIL light shows up.

What were the symptoms? Was it running like Caca? (sp?) Or did it just have a light that came on?

Case in point. On my 08, on a rainy night, my FWD Pilot spuns the wheels on a take off. Everything ran fine.
Then a CEL light came on.
It was a misfire in 1, 3,4,5,6, and some other crap.
It ran FINE.

I took off the neg. battery terminal, turned the key on and off. Reconnected the battery.
Started it- about 3-4 weeks later- NO CODES- Nadda!

Cost? $0.00

Yeah, it said the common fixes are having the valves adjusted, etc.
Lots of posts of people 'falling for that' (my opinion), I just read a post about someone doing that 2 x in a row!
You know why? Because that little printout states that is one of the 'fixes' for these misfire codes!

If it's a coil- switch it out with another one, run it, re set the codes. If it's bad, the cylinder # you switched it to will show up. if not? Guess what? Changing a coil pack? All the coil packs? Throwing money into a head wind!!

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,177 Posts
Are you getting a misfire code for #1 cylinder? (What is the code?). This does not necessarily mean there is a problem with the coil.

But, NG, the code said missfire in #1! LOL When that code shows up, maybe Slvr7 can chime in about how often it is REALLY the spark plug, or the coil pack. Do they go bad? Sure once is a Green/Blue moon!

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
If it is a misfire code, I still start with the basics of simple maintanance.
Air Filter
Air intake hose leak free
Clean the MAF
New spark plugs
New PCV valve
Top Tier 87 octane fuel or use injector cleaner
Disable the VCM with S-VCM or VCM Muzzler II

At 104k miles, has the timing belt been changed?

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
If it is a misfire code, I still start with the basics of simple maintanance.
Air Filter
Air intake hose leak free
Clean the MAF
New spark plugs
New PCV valve
Top Tier 87 octane fuel or use injector cleaner
Disable the VCM with S-VCM or VCM Muzzler II

At 104k miles, has the timing belt been changed?
Only change I'd suggest is moving #7 in between #3 and #4 based on cost/potential benefit.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
Only change I'd suggest is moving #7 in between #3 and #4 based on cost/potential benefit.
I agree.
I already get accused of making VCM disabling as a fix all. Lol.
What good is VCM disabling if all the rest is uncared for?

·
Registered
744 Posts
But, NG, the code said missfire in #1! LOL When that code shows up, maybe Slvr7 can chime in about how often it is REALLY the spark plug, or the coil pack. Do they go bad? Sure once is a Green/Blue moon!
Coil packs on ngk or denso plugs do not go bad very often. Any other brand and that percentage of bad coils starts to rise, guessing more/different resistance. Have you pulled the plug to see what it looks like?
Side note, there had been a lot of issues with aftermarket plugs and coils producing emi in the ckp/cmp circuits.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
If the plugs are original, it would be good to replace. Bad plugs or wrong plugs stress coils.

Reactions: Slvr7

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
If the plugs are original, it would be good to replace. Bad plugs or wrong plugs stress coils.
View attachment 143379
That's the longest thread on any plug I've ever seen! Is the head that thick? Is there a way to tell if the plugs are bad enough to stress the coils without pulling and looking at them? I don't know if mine are original or how long they've been in there.

·
Registered
11,381 Posts
That's the longest thread on any plug I've ever seen! Is the head that thick? Is there a way to tell if the plugs are bad enough to stress the coils without pulling and looking at them? I don't know if mine are original or how long they've been in there.
Worse case, a plug could be broken, burned, melted etc. High milage plugs = wider gap from the .044 recommendation = ruined coil(s).

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Worse case, a plug could be broken, burned, melted etc. High milage plugs = wider gap from the .044 recommendation = ruined coil(s).
So I'll take that as a "no" ... rough idle, stuttering acceleration, misfire code? None of those will save me from pulling the plugs and looking at them, eh?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I had the same thing earlier this year. It ended up being a coil. I tried just replacing the 1 even though I read several places saying to replace all at the same time. After replacing just 1 coil, I still had issues. I replaced all of them and it's been fine ever since.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts