Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Checking in to see if I installed my vcm tuner 2 correctly.

I've read the temp should be at 165. Is that the ect1 or ect2, I don't know which of these corresponds to the temp im looking for? It reads below 165 for ect 1 and its above for the ect2.

Ive had this foxwell scanner but I've never used it. Is there anything else i should monitor besides temp level?

Also is this roughly where the temp guage should be? I think my temp guage normally would be around the very middle but now i think its 1 to two ticks below. I should have taken a before picture to compare

-Ay

Attachments

·
Registered
117 Posts
My temp gauge shows same as yours using VCM TUNER II on my 2016. I'll have to check Temps using OBDII scanner but I just looked at my Odyssey and it holds solid at (IIRC) 161.7.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Speaking of install...how was it? The YT videos make it look super easy, basically plug and play. Any issues encountered on your end?
I have one on order and it should be shipped in the next few days. Can't wait to "disable" the VCM as prevention for any future issues related to spark plugs, engine mounts, etc.
P.S. You can also call the company directly. I spoke to Brock yesterday about a few things and he was very open (tho we did not talk about the ECT temp).

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The install wasn't that bad. I regret not doing this earlier. I had bought the svcm 2 years ago but threw it away and decided not to do it out of fear

The only thing that was a pain for me was getting the positive battery terminal with a 10mm regular wrench. If you have a ratcheting wrench with an extension that might make it easier. On the 2019 pilot the air intake or something is in the way and you have to use the regular wrench under it using a bunch of small turns or movements to get it off and on

Also i freaked out a little last night when I wanted to test the car again on the highway.My average mileage said 15 mpg. But i guess it resets your avg trip odometer probably when you untighten the positive battery terminal. I drove a mile and went through a drive thru after the install which explained why my average was so low

·
Registered
12 Posts
Most people report ~ 1 MPG less after installing. I looked at the SVCM as well but went with the Tuner II because you can leave it on even if you go to the mechanic for a throttle cleaning, idle relearn, or whatever. Set it and forget it!

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Where did you read that the coolant temp should be at 165?
I use S-VCM, and I have written numerous time that out temp gauge defaults at 165.2°F as have others. Apparently different disabling devices default differently as some have interchangeable chips.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
824 Posts
I use S-VCM, and I have written numerous time that out temp gauge defaults at 165.2°F as have others. Apparently different disabling devices default differently as some have interchangeable chips.
I just curious. I haven't ever checked my ECT on my muzzled Pilots, but I want to make sure I'm not covering up an overheating problem.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I just curious. I haven't ever checked my ECT on my muzzled Pilots, but I want to make sure I'm not covering up an overheating problem.
This is a feature of VCM TUNER II. It restores normal temp gauge operation if the actual coolant temp exceeds 212F.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
344 Posts
This is a feature of VCM TUNER II. It restores normal temp gauge operation if the actual coolant temp exceeds 212F.
I thought I read something about the SVCM automatically deactivating if the coolant temp hit a certain point to restore temp gauge function.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Yup, SVCM does the same. That's the big advantage of these new systems over the old resistor-based muzzlers.
I thought I read something about the SVCM automatically deactivating if the coolant temp hit a certain point to restore temp gauge function.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My concern is cooling fans oparation. Do they ever kick in to cool the engine down? From what I was able to find out is that cooling fans kick in at 205F and kick out when coolant temperature is down to 195F. If VCM cheats ECU at 162F fans do not kick in untill actual coolant temperature reaches 212F (when VCM restores normal temperature function to prevent overheating). Does engine (coolant temperature) run hotter by up to 17F (212-195) with VCM installed? I like the idea of VCM muzzle and thinking about installing one even if it does not seem right to defeat $$$$ design feature on $35,000 car.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Can't answer for sure in that detail, but the makers of both tools seems to be responsive on these forums and may be willing to answer that if you message them. I'll tell you I ran VCM Tuner II for years on my Odyssey in South Carolina heat and never noticed abnormal fan operation (they always cycled on and off when stationary or when A/C was running) and have never had the car default back to "overheat mode" on the gauge cluster. From what I understand there is more than 1 coolant temp sensor that the car relies on, but ECT1 is the only one that affects VCM operation so that's what these tools modify.

Given the prevalence of issues with engine mounts (which are worked hard by VCM operation) and issues with rings etc seen on older Hondas with VCM enabled, I guess I'm willing to take my chances that Honda got this one wrong!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Glad to report it works! If anything the thing i notice the most is coasting. Previously I'd notice a slow when down thinking it was norrmal for a car of this weight ( First suv for me from driving a car). Now i feel like my car coasts much more efficiently without a slowdown

Also i dont hear the low sound of the engine mount or vcm kicking in i think. Not sure how it works but i used to hear a distinct muffled shift at one point or another while driving which i think had to do with the vcm activating itself. The sound wasn't obvious but if you listened for it you could hear it. Now i don't hear it

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EXL AWD
54 Posts
Most people report ~ 1 MPG less after installing. I looked at the SVCM as well but went with the Tuner II because you can leave it on even if you go to the mechanic for a throttle cleaning, idle relearn, or whatever. Set it and forget it!
Unfortunately, I live in California and Brock of Tuner II won't ship to California because of emissions. Stupid California emissions so I went with S-VCM from Canada. Maybe when Brock get his approval for CARB, I'll get one from him.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Hi All,

Checking in to see if I installed my vcm tuner 2 correctly.

I've read the temp should be at 165. Is that the ect1 or ect2, I don't know which of these corresponds to the temp im looking for? It reads below 165 for ect 1 and its above for the ect2.

Ive had this foxwell scanner but I've never used it. Is there anything else i should monitor besides temp level?

Also is this roughly where the temp guage should be? I think my temp guage normally would be around the very middle but now i think its 1 to two ticks below. I should have taken a before picture to compare

-Ay
177F ECT2 seems somewhat high unless sitting, efans off, idling, for a extended amount of time. ECT2 is the temp reading in the cold radiator tank. ECT1 is the temp reading of coolant exiting the heads (entering the hot tank of the radiator). Those VCM deactivation devices send a +/-165F ECT1 signal to “trick” ECU instead of the actual 188F-194F ECT1. That’s the way I understand it. I observe ECT2 being 40-50 degrees below ECT1 when moving and/or efans on.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Unfortunately, I live in California and Brock of Tuner II won't ship to California because of emissions. Stupid California emissions so I went with S-VCM from Canada. Maybe when Brock get his approval for CARB, I'll get one from him.
Yeah, he's EPA certified in 49 states...but not CA due to their infinite wisdom.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Yeah, he's EPA certified in 49 states...but not CA due to their infinite wisdom.
Please provide a reference showing that the device is EPA certified. As far as I know the EPA does not “certify” aftermarket devices they do have a voluntary test program for aftermarket devices.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts