Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

VCM question

6K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  Gamlet 
#1 ·
I'm hesitant to ask this question but it's eating me up; esp. with all the chatter about VCM.

How can I determine if my 16 Pilot ex-l; awd has VCM?

I apologize ahead of time if this question runs adrift.

#3 ·
Yes, it does. Honda has made the engagement better over the years so that you don't feel it most of the time, but it is equipped on all Honda V-6s sold in the last 10 years. (There were a couple early years in the 00s when some lower trim levels didn't get it, but that hasn't been the case in a long time.)

Best thing you can do is disabled it. Your car always "feels fine" until the failures start. Motor mounts, oil consumption/piston rings, fouled spark plugs, failed catalytic converters, failed torque converters, the list of components that are eventually affected is not cheap.

#9 ·
The safest way we know is using a device that attaches to the temperature sensor that tricks the computer, that the engine is operating at a lower temperature. At this tricked temperature, the VCM will not operate. I use S-VCM.
The only negative I can think of is that it makes diagnosing a problem with the cooling system difficult. Just simply disconnect the device if your going to run diagnostics on the cooling system. It is important to routinely check to make sure your cooling system is functioning normally. That involves checking the coolant level and both cooling fans are turning on and off as designed.
The device will never be the cause of an overheating condition. IMO, the benefits far outweigh the inconvenience of disconnecting and reconnecting the device if I need to run diagnostics.
Hello.
Do you use it or it's only story?

#13 ·
I've got a new 21 pilot and 21 ody. I've been reading about the vcm and I'm ready to get a tuner ii. I get a little disengaged when I read about problems with codes etc. , disconnecting battery etc. Is the error code problem a common occurrence?

I trade every 3 years, so as a matter of practicality, it would not be worth it if I'm going to have error code

#30 ·
Since this subject is super active on the VCM, If the engine is locked at 164F or so (s-vcm), are there any concerns for proper A/F ratio or engine timing at all if the engine actual temp is 200F?

I think I will be installing a kill switch in mine to switch it off to check actual engine temp in the Vegas summers out here with ambient 110F-118F is not uncommon. I have never over heated but now that I am towing a 3500lbs travel trailer, I need to see how she does in the summer while towing.

#31 ·
Since this subject is super active on the VCM, If the engine is locked at 164F or so (s-vcm), are there any concerns for proper A/F ratio or engine timing at all if the engine actual temp is 200F?

I think I will be installing a kill switch in mine to switch it off to check actual engine temp in the Vegas summers out here with ambient 110F-118F is not uncommon. I have never over heated but now that I am towing a 3500lbs travel trailer, I need to see how she does in the summer while towing.

This explains it better than I can.

Reactions: viper74656
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.