Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm hesitant to ask this question but it's eating me up; esp. with all the chatter about VCM.

How can I determine if my 16 Pilot ex-l; awd has VCM?

I apologize ahead of time if this question runs adrift.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Yes, it does. Honda has made the engagement better over the years so that you don't feel it most of the time, but it is equipped on all Honda V-6s sold in the last 10 years. (There were a couple early years in the 00s when some lower trim levels didn't get it, but that hasn't been the case in a long time.)

Best thing you can do is disabled it. Your car always "feels fine" until the failures start. Motor mounts, oil consumption/piston rings, fouled spark plugs, failed catalytic converters, failed torque converters, the list of components that are eventually affected is not cheap.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, it does. Honda has made the engagement better over the years so that you don't feel it most of the time, but it is equipped on all Honda V-6s sold in the last 10 years. (There were a couple early years in the 00s when some lower trim levels didn't get it, but that hasn't been the case in a long time.)

Best thing you can do is disabled it. Your car always "feels fine" until the failures start. Motor mounts, oil consumption/piston rings, fouled spark plugs, failed catalytic converters, failed torque converters, the list of components that are eventually affected is not cheap.
How does one go about disabling it and are there drawbacks?

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
How does one go about disabling it and are there drawbacks?
The safest way we know is using a device that attaches to the temperature sensor that tricks the computer, that the engine is operating at a lower temperature. At this tricked temperature, the VCM will not operate. I use S-VCM.
The only negative I can think of is that it makes diagnosing a problem with the cooling system difficult. Just simply disconnect the device if your going to run diagnostics on the cooling system. It is important to routinely check to make sure your cooling system is functioning normally. That involves checking the coolant level and both cooling fans are turning on and off as designed.
The device will never be the cause of an overheating condition. IMO, the benefits far outweigh the inconvenience of disconnecting and reconnecting the device if I need to run diagnostics.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I'll second the S-VCM. Shifting seemed smoother, felt more responsive, and for me at least no decrease in MPG. In fact I've noticed a slight increase.

·
Registered
Pilot II EX
37 Posts
The safest way we know is using a device that attaches to the temperature sensor that tricks the computer, that the engine is operating at a lower temperature. At this tricked temperature, the VCM will not operate. I use S-VCM.
The only negative I can think of is that it makes diagnosing a problem with the cooling system difficult. Just simply disconnect the device if your going to run diagnostics on the cooling system. It is important to routinely check to make sure your cooling system is functioning normally. That involves checking the coolant level and both cooling fans are turning on and off as designed.
The device will never be the cause of an overheating condition. IMO, the benefits far outweigh the inconvenience of disconnecting and reconnecting the device if I need to run diagnostics.
Hello.
Do you use it or it's only story?

·
Registered
Pilot II EX
37 Posts
Anyone here with a micron of a brain uses it. So what's your story?
I am not use it, for what? I have not problem with engine ( 156000 km mileage ) That my story. I could not see advantage in this device.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I am not use it, for what? I have not problem with engine ( 156000 km mileage ) That my story. I could not see advantage in this device.
Educate yourself. Thoroughly research and read everything on the subject matter. The evidence is overwhelming and the risk is too high to ignore. You've been warned.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've got a new 21 pilot and 21 ody. I've been reading about the vcm and I'm ready to get a tuner ii. I get a little disengaged when I read about problems with codes etc. , disconnecting battery etc. Is the error code problem a common occurrence?

I trade every 3 years, so as a matter of practicality, it would not be worth it if I'm going to have error code

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've got a new 21 pilot and 21 ody. I've been reading about the vcm and I'm ready to get a tuner ii. I get a little disengaged when I read about problems with codes etc. , disconnecting battery etc. Is the error code problem a common occurrence?

I trade every 3 years, so as a matter of practicality, it would not be worth it if I'm going to have error code
Very proactive. Should be the number one item explicitly stated in their owners manual as part of their "break-in" requirements.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
So I'm assuming deactivating VCM is not common practice in Russia? Have there been occurrences of Pilots needing the rings replaced on the cylinders that shut off during VCM? It was bad enough in the US there are multiple TSBs and recalls for certain model years. It is not a cheap repair and most (including me) who have deactivated the VCM haven't noticed a difference in mileage but have noticed less vibrations and other bad behavior associated with VCM.

Educate yourself. Thoroughly research and read everything on the subject matter. The evidence is overwhelming and the risk is too high to ignore. You've been warned.
This user is from Russia, ease up on him since both sides are working through a language barrier here.

·
Registered
125 Posts
This user is from Russia, ease up on him since both sides are working through a language barrier here.
That wasn't the issue here as I was specifically responding to this (as were you):

·
Registered
9,519 Posts
I use the S-VCM on 3 vehicles.
Keeping my vehicle running on all 6 cylinders 100% of the time has proven to prevent many engine and transmission problems.
Is your Honda V6 equipped with VCM technology?

·
Registered
2,981 Posts

IMO if you trade every 3 years then I wouldn't worry about it. Like alcohol abuse the damage could begin early but its the long term effects that's concerning.

·
Registered
960 Posts
So I'm assuming deactivating VCM is not common practice in Russia? Have there been occurrences of Pilots needing the rings replaced on the cylinders that shut off during VCM? It was bad enough in the US there are multiple TSBs and recalls for certain model years. It is not a cheap repair and most (including me) who have deactivated the VCM haven't noticed a difference in mileage but have noticed less vibrations and other bad behavior associated with VCM.

Does Honda even install VCM in vehicles sold in Russia? The VCM system installed in the Honda fleet is to meet US fuel economy standards. A Honda sold in Russia would be exempt from this requirement. Perhaps Honda has a non-USA model that uses a different program in the ECM, and skips the VCM cam modifications, active motor mounts, noise cancelling cabin sound system, etc. It would be much cheaper to produce a non-VCM model if the market was large enough. Reliability of these vehicles would go way up, as well. Kind of like my old 2003 Pilot, except for no rust!

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Does Honda even install VCM in vehicles sold in Russia? The VCM system installed in the Honda fleet is to meet US fuel economy standards. A Honda sold in Russia would be exempt from this requirement. Perhaps Honda has a non-USA model that uses a different program in the ECM, and skips the VCM cam modifications, active motor mounts, noise cancelling cabin sound system, etc. It would be much cheaper to produce a non-VCM model if the market was large enough. Reliability of these vehicles would go way up, as well. Kind of like my old 2003 Pilot, except for no rust!
All the Pilot there needs is the 1st gen Ridgeline engine... almost the same total output numbers but intake side VTEC instead of VCM.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts