Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for Piloteers using a VCM muzzler. We know that it smooths out power delivery by leaving all 6 cylinders active, but what effect did it have on your fuel mileage if any? I am still on the fence because I have no issues with the VCM at this point. Answers from 3rd gen owners would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,408 Posts
Most people report a 1 MPG drop if any at all. In some cases, it may actually improve your mileage because you'll have smooth power at all times instead of having "wake" the engine up any time you need some power.

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
We hit the highways a lot, 75mph. We are down the 1 mpg. At slower speeds I'd assume it'll be less.
If I had wanted 4 cylinders, I'd have bought a CR-V.
When my wife drives, I want her to instantly have all 6 cylinders to pass. Especially when I'm her passenger. Lol 😅

Reactions: Steffo

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I had the benefit of doing the same beach trip before and not long after installing the muzzler, about 3 hours each way. We dropped approximately 1 MPG for the highway but around town I've seen no difference.

·
Registered
232 Posts
The majority of my driving is around town. Saw no difference in MPG.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
857 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Judging by the responses, it looks that the the VCM system only marginally improves hwy fuel mileage and has a no effect on stop and go/ city mileage. Maybe in a controlled testing environment, the Honda engineers could produce better numbers. Real world performance is what really matters and I think that the only thing VCM has done is over complicate an already well designed and efficient engine and add cost to the vehicle.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Judging by the responses, it looks that the the VCM system only marginally improves hwy fuel mileage and has a no effect on stop and go/ city mileage. Maybe in a controlled testing environment, the Honda engineers could produce better numbers. Real world performance is what really matters and I think that the only thing VCM has done is over complicate an already well designed and efficient engine and add cost to the vehicle.
Again, lazy engineers and cost cutting accountants. Stupidly conceived and implemented. Causes significantly more problems for such a marginal benefit and is $$$$$ to repair as Honda will deny all liability. Been there done that. Won't be their guinea pig ever again. 😠

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Nailed it. This system, like many others (and the entire concept of start/stop and others) are all engineered for the EPA testing that determines the numbers that go on the window sticker. Because we, the consumer, will purchase one vehicle over another because that sticker says it will do 1 MPG better.

We have noone but ourselves to blame I suppose.

Again, lazy engineers and cost cutting accountants. Stupidly conceived and implemented. Causes significantly more problems for such a marginal benefit and is $$$$$ to repair as Honda will deny all liability. Been there done that. Won't be their guinea pig ever again. 😠
Lazy engineers? Cost cutting accountants? Couldn't disagree more with those sentiments. Yes, the technology has had teething as most tech has over the years but these are brilliant ideas that are certainly NOT cheaper than not having these systems.

I agree the reasoning behind the systems is idiotic but we did it to ourselves. Or marketing did it to us... yes, let's blame marketers! Since I'm and engineer and my BIL is and accountant we can't blame them!

Reactions: Steffo

·
Registered
125 Posts
Nailed it. This system, like many others (and the entire concept of start/stop and others) are all engineered for the EPA testing that determines the numbers that go on the window sticker. Because we, the consumer, will purchase one vehicle over another because that sticker says it will do 1 MPG better.

We have noone but ourselves to blame I suppose.

Lazy engineers? Cost cutting accountants? Couldn't disagree more with those sentiments. Yes, the technology has had teething as most tech has over the years but these are brilliant ideas that are certainly NOT cheaper than not having these systems.

I agree the reasoning behind the systems is idiotic but we did it to ourselves. Or marketing did it to us... yes, let's blame marketers! Since I'm and engineer and my BIL is and accountant we can't blame them!
I respectfully disagree. They resorted to doing a simple SW program to not fire the rear 2-3 rear cylinders. Just plain dumb. All professional fields are subject to compromise. Being a professional engineer or accountant doesn't make you immune to the realities of shareholder value.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Nah...it was created because people apparently want to drive big SUVs while also minimizing environmental impact and getting good fuel economy. For me? If I wanted good gas mileage I'd buy a Prius. I buy SUVs because I enjoy being high up, having power and don't mind paying for gas. I guess all in all we can blame the EPA for pushing car makers to squeeze all the mileage they can get out of their cars.

The idea makes sense. V6 when you need it, but less cylinders when cruising. However the execution was done very poorly. I doubt there was any intention of making money off of repairs.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
The idea makes sense. V6 when you need it, but less cylinders when cruising. However the execution was done very poorly. I doubt there was any intention of making money off of repairs.
I think those engineers calculated the long-term ill effects of innovative VCM: carbon build up, plug fouling, sensor fouling mixture of unburned fuel and combustion waste leaving residue in the valves, various chambers and clogging the CAT coupled with equally innovative auto start/stop that may shorten starter lifespan, batteries etc. This puts the owner right back into the auto market for another new vehicle. Leaving a handful of brave Piloteers interested in rebuilding a used high mileage high-tech late model Pilot.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I think those engineers calculated the long-term ill effects of innovative VCM: carbon build up, plug fouling, sensor fouling mixture of unburned fuel and combustion waste leaving residue in the valves, various chambers and clogging the CAT coupled with equally innovative auto start/stop that may shorten starter lifespan, batteries etc. This puts the owner right back into the auto market for another new vehicle. Leaving a handful of brave Piloteers interested in rebuilding a used high mileage high-tech late model Pilot.
YES!!! Very well stated.

VCM however is not an "innovative" technology with growing pains. It is nothing more than a cheap fix with a perceived benefit. Absolutely, the engineers, and/or accountants, knew about and calculated the risk of long term ill effects for which they are willing to accept and deny liability.

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
Let's not forget the stop/start system that taxes many components of the vehicle at the owners expense and safety.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
I respectfully disagree. They resorted to doing a simple SW program to not fire the rear 2-3 rear cylinders. Just plain dumb. All professional fields are subject to compromise. Being a professional engineer or accountant doesn't make you immune to the realities of shareholder value.
YES!!! Very well stated.

VCM however is not an "innovative" technology with growing pains. It is nothing more than a cheap fix with a perceived benefit. Absolutely, the engineers, and/or accountants, knew about and calculated the risk of long term ill effects for which they are willing to accept and deny liability.
We will have to agree to disagree...

VCM is most certainly an innovative technology, you can't accept that they didn't have every potential issue with it figured out and I understand that but this is the reality of designing things. You create the design, test it, release it, and revise it as weak points are found. Any engineer that says their design is perfect and infallible is not an engineer I want to work with or do business with (Elon Musk).

Automotive engineers are asked to do more every day with less time and resources to do it, I have immense respect for the kind of ideas and innovative solutions they are able to come up with but very few fields do their errors become as prolific as this sector.

Reactions: Steffo and ys1219

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
We will have to agree to disagree...

VCM is most certainly an innovative technology, you can't accept that they didn't have every potential issue with it figured out and I understand that but this is the reality of designing things. You create the design, test it, release it, and revise it as weak points are found. Any engineer that says their design is perfect and infallible is not an engineer I want to work with or do business with (Elon Musk).

Automotive engineers are asked to do more every day with less time and resources to do it, I have immense respect for the kind of ideas and innovative solutions they are able to come up with but very few fields do their errors become as prolific as this sector.
I agree with you.

Believe it or not, not everything is a scam by automakers to either push repairs or make you buy a new car.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot EX-L AWD, 265-60-18 Defender LTX M/S
523 Posts
Concept and how it works is good as long as all is working. Caddy had it way back, my friends Silverado gets about 30mpg on highway trips. My other friends Suburban just got motor rebuilt (out of warranty) because of problems with 2 cylinders that were getting shut down.

Europe has had the start stop for a while already but they get charged on smog/pollution so less run time saves them taxes.

I don't like needing electronic motor mounts to compensate for vibrations. Give me a real simple choice button. On- I want to try what I can to save, maybe give an incentive like the insurance snap shots. Off- I bought a V6 that runs smooth when running on 6 and I'm good with the mileage and power and fuel costs. Don't make me need to get aftermarket bypass things to turn off something.

Stability control, traction control, auto brake- I can turn off. let me do the same for VCM.

·
Registered
125 Posts
It's laughable that after many, many years of this "innovative" technology, owners here are doing all they can to bypass it.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts