Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently purchased a 2010 Pilot..... threw a code the very next day ! PO303 - cylinder 3 misfire. Seems the VCM is possibly related to the misfiring. I’m reading a lot now about the Muzzler, VCM, and S-VCM Controller, and all the various details. One of my questions is : How difficult is it to tell if either of these two after market devices have already been installed, for a visual, where would I look ? Second question is, How would a VCM, Muzzler or Controller, affect the engine while towing ? Thanks !

·
Registered
468 Posts
You need to fix your P0303 misfire problem first. Then worry about defeating the VCM with a Muzzler or S-VCM afterwards. Research what the devices look like (examples below), then find your ECT1 connector (top right side of engine) and see if any extra device is there. VCM defeat devices have no effect for towing, all 6 cylinders are always on.

·
Banned
379 Posts
Since we're talking about this, which one is better? Muzzler or svcm? Where exactly do you get them? Any advice appreciated.

·
Registered
468 Posts
Since we're talking about this, which one is better? Muzzler or svcm? Where exactly do you get them? Any advice appreciated.
I have the VCMuzzlerII on both of mine using the 100 ohm resistors, no issues. S-VCM and VCMtunerII are the more advanced versions that require connecting to a power source.

VCMuzzlerII:

S-VCM:

VCMtunerII:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I'm new here and I am wondering if this will help fix the #3 plug fouling problem ? It's starting to foul every month and using about a quart of oil in the same time. It's a 2010 and has 130,000 miles and wondering if it's too late ?

·
Registered
5,001 Posts
Hi I'm new here and I am wondering if this will help fix the #3 plug fouling problem ? It's starting to foul every month and using about a quart of oil in the same time. It's a 2010 and has 130,000 miles and wondering if it's too late ?
I don't think anyone's answered you because to say it will or won't is an unknown. It sounds like the pistion rings are stuck. I've heard of people doing a piston soak to try and solve it. But yes, I'd disable the VCM.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I am not a big "Snake Oil" person but I have had pretty good luck (never tried on a Honda engine) with a piston soak freeing up stuck rings - if that is the issue. We would use Marvel Mystery oil and let it sit for at least a day. It didn't always work but a lot of times it did. Plus, it is cheap to try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts