Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning it was probably 50 degrees. I immediately turned on the heater to full blast and went on with my commute. Probably 10 minutes later I realized my CEL was on. I scanned the codes and found it was P0128 “Coolant temp below thermostat regulating temperature”. This is common with VCM Muzzler if the resistance is too high I think. The interesting thing, is I’ve never had this issue before and haven’t adjusted the resistance since I got it in October.

I assume it’ll go away after a while but for some reason my scan tool wouldn’t clear it. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
This should clear automatically when the problem goes away.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
So I’m assuming, because it was cold and the heater was on full blast, the temp was too low and that’s what triggered the code? Or is there some other problem I need to look at?
The OBDII trouble code P0128 - Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature means that the engine does not reach expected temperature after running for sufficient time, or in other words, takes too long to warm up. Often this code causes the Check Engine light to come on and off in cold temperatures.
In my opinion this was caused by VCM Muzzler. It's what these devices do. Me personally, I would not worry. I'm sure if you touched your radiator, it would feel hot.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The OBDII trouble code P0128 - Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature means that the engine does not reach expected temperature after running for sufficient time, or in other words, takes too long to warm up. Often this code causes the Check Engine light to come on and off in cold temperatures.
In my opinion this was caused by VCM Muzzler. It's what these devices do. Me personally, I would not worry. I'm sure if you touched your radiator, it would feel hot.
Welp my dang scan tool wouldn't clear the code so I had to disconnect the battery. The code hasn't come back in the last 50 miles so I'll just leave it be.

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Welp my dang scan tool wouldn't clear the code so I had to disconnect the battery. The code hasn't come back in the last 50 miles so I'll just leave it be.
I had to do that once to reset. I disconected the battery when the engine was warm and got a CEL when I reconnected. Had to let the engine cool and then reconnect everything. Light went off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts