Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just joined, because I got a 2019 Pilot for the wife who really wanted it for cosmetic reasons. I was unwilling to at first due to the VCM module, but I found there is this aftermarket mod. Will this mod still work on 3rd Gen Pilots? Anyone installed one yet? I noticed this car shifts pretty hard going down gears, is this the VCM module kicking on and off?

·
Registered
979 Posts
I have not noticed any VCM activities (good or bad) during the past three years of driving, and don't believe there is a need to do that. What you described maybe something with the transmission behaviors, not VCM, if I am not mistaken.

·
Registered
103 Posts
My experience with VCMuzzler II.

Installed the VCMuzzler today (You might to check with the person (Verbatim) that sells them here.

No Eco or any other lights came on at all. I drove about 125 miles but did notice some slight vibrations (same as what I felt with activated VCM) approximately 3 or 4 times. Faint vibrations but did experience them.

Before installation, I definitely felt the VCM kick in a lot more times so with that being said, some improvements with this device.

I've the blue recommended Blue resistor on for now.

I have a 2018 Honda Pilot EX-L.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Installed the VCMuzzler today (You might to check with the person (Verbatim) that sells them here.

No Eco or any other lights came on at all. I drove about 125 miles but did notice some slight vibrations (same as what I felt with activated VCM) approximately 3 or 4 times. Faint vibrations but did experience them.

Before installation, I definitely felt the VCM kick in a lot more times so with that being said, some improvements with this device.

I thought 3rd gens don't have an eco light indicator for vcm status. Mine just has a eco mode that fudges with the accelerator control.

·
Registered
302 Posts

3rd gen Pilot has no indicators when VCM is active. ECO indicator is only on the earlier years Pilots. Todays ECON mode has nothing to do with VCM. The green/white ambient rings are not a definitive indicators that VCM is active, however VCM usually starts to become active on the green ambient rings when your light on the gas pedal or coasting.

Will Pilot, you will most likely need to change from the Blue 82 ohm resistor to the 100 ohm brown or orange resistor to prevent the VCM from cycling in. That's what I'm using on both my 2017 Pilot and 2017 Ridgeline. If you make any changes, make sure the engine is cold or you might get a CEL.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Will Pilot, you will most likely need to change from the blue 120 ohm resistor to the 100 ohm brown or orange resistor to prevent the VCM from cycling in. That's what I'm using on both my 2017 Pilot and 2017 Ridgeline. If you make any changes, make sure the engine is cold or you might get a CEL.
Thanks for the feedback. You think it would be wise to remove the blue and insert the other color coded resistor while the VCMuzzler is still installed? of course when the engine is cold first thing in the morning which is what I did when I installed the blue one.

Which color should I use brown or orange especially on the Pilot? Which one is the 100 ohm.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Makes sense the next step up is 100 ohm..hopefully I can keep this one on all year around regardless of the temps here in CT.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I also heard there was a resolution for the class action lawsuit against Honda for the VCM module. Something about limiting the maximum time the VCM can be on. Is this just a band-aid fix? Anyone have any thoughts on this? It just seems silly to be modifying a brand new car, but I like to drive the wheels of my cars and will do anything to extend the life.

·
Registered
103 Posts
need to change from the blue 120 ohm resistor to the 100 ohm brown or orange resistor/QUOTE]

there are no orange or brown...grey, red or yellow, and blue (one installed)

·
Registered
302 Posts
You may need to email verbatim to find out which one will be needed for 100 ohms. When I got mine he only supplied blue and red. You had to request a different color to fine tune it. Mine happened to be Orange 100 ohm. I heard from someone else they received a brown 100 ohm. Now he is supplying more colors. Hopefully your instructions would tell you which to try next. Red was the hottest and Blue the coldest, I assume your other colors are in between.

Sorry got my colors reversed: Blue is 82 ohm, Red is the 120 ohm.

·
Registered
103 Posts
You may need to email verbatim to find out which one will be needed for 100 ohms. When I got mine he only supplied blue and red. You had to request a different color to fine tune it. Mine happened to be Orange 100 ohm. I heard from someone else they received a brown 100 ohm. Now he is supplying more colors. Hopefully your instructions would tell you which to try next. Red was the hottest and Blue the coldest, I assume your other colors are in between.

okay thanks I emailed multiple times and even PM'd him on here. No response. He should maybe have someone else, an assistant responding to emails requests at the very least.

·
Registered
103 Posts

ok just checked the instructions and brown is indeed 100 ohm...but maybe I'm color blind because it doesn't look brown to me..it looks grey. Oh well I guess I'll try that one. Thanks again. Will keep you guys posted.

·
Registered
480 Posts
ok just checked the instructions and brown is indeed 100 ohm...but maybe I'm color blind because it doesn't look brown to me..it looks grey. Oh well I guess I'll try that one. Thanks again. Will keep you guys posted.
So then what "confirmation" will you have telling you that VCM is disabled? On the 2nd Gen Pilots, it was very clear, the ECO green text wouldn't display on the instrument cluster.

For the 3rd Gen Pilot there is no text, just the ECO light that you can toggle by pressing the ECO button, but as others have indicated this does not turn on/off VCM.

When I drive there is usually a "fade" in or out between the green rings around the speedometer. It's not a stark color change. But someone a few posts back commented that green ring doesn't equate to VCM on.

So then how do you know you won't get some "placebo effect" after you install the muzzler, and you THINK you disabled it, but you really didn't? I say this because I own a 2013 Pilot with VCMuzzler and I can clearly tell when it is on or off and I verified it was off after installing the VCMuzzler. On my 2017 Pilot I can barely tell the VCM engages.

·
Registered
103 Posts
On my 2017 Pilot I can barely tell the VCM engages.
Yeah there's no indication light to indicate when the VCM is on or off at least from what I know on these 3rd generation Hondas'. I know the VCM is on because the VCM is still engaged (driving me nuts too.) It's still cycling when I drive - happened this morning again even with the VCMuzzler (Blue resistor).

·
Registered
160 Posts
So then what "confirmation" will you have telling you that VCM is disabled? On the 2nd Gen Pilots, it was very clear, the ECO green text wouldn't display on the instrument cluster.

For the 3rd Gen Pilot there is no text, just the ECO light that you can toggle by pressing the ECO button, but as others have indicated this does not turn on/off VCM.

When I drive there is usually a "fade" in or out between the green rings around the speedometer. It's not a stark color change. But someone a few posts back commented that green ring doesn't equate to VCM on.

So then how do you know you won't get some "placebo effect" after you install the muzzler, and you THINK you disabled it, but you really didn't? I say this because I own a 2013 Pilot with VCMuzzler and I can clearly tell when it is on or off and I verified it was off after installing the VCMuzzler. On my 2017 Pilot I can barely tell the VCM engages.
jmiller284 brings up some good questions and points. For anyone NOT monitoring temps via OBD2 then you are more than likely guessing with VCMuzzler resistors and possibly wasting your money. Here is a thread with some good info on resistors, temps, etc. For me, the default blue resistor was NOT enough to disable VCM in the summer in PA. And now that it's getting colder, I had to change the resistor to prevent CEL.

VCM Disabler on a 2018 Pilot

·
Registered
480 Posts
If the default blue doesn't work why not make the new default orange or brown or whatever that 100 ohm resistor value is? What's the downside of using maximum resistance and just leaving it like that year round ?

jmiller284 brings up some good questions and points. For anyone NOT monitoring temps via OBD2 then you are more than likely guessing with VCMuzzler resistors and possibly wasting your money. Here is a thread with some good info on resistors, temps, etc. For me, the default blue resistor was NOT enough to disable VCM in the summer in PA. And now that it's getting colder, I had to change the resistor to prevent CEL.

VCM Disabler on a 2018 Pilot
Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
103 Posts
If the default blue doesn't work why not make the new default orange or brown or whatever that 100 ohm resistor value is? What's the downside of using maximum resistance and just leaving it like that year round ?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
That's exactly what I plan to do it install the 100 ohm and call it a day.

·
Registered
9 Posts
(Update - managed getting to the connector with my left hand ring finger and thumb) -

Tried getting at the temp sensor connector on my 2018 Pilot EX-L but there's a wiring harness that is above it that gets in the way. Can't get my fingers around the connector clip to make it come off. How did you get at the connector?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts