Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hi , guys I want to install VCM Muzzler 2 In my pilot 2019. I live in NJ. I don鈥檛 know which color I should choose the blue or the red thx any advice will help馃檹

Registered
I would start out with the blue, and then monitor your cooling temp using a OBD2. I am in the Houston area and ended up using the red resistor.

Registered
There are products out there, VCM Tuner 2 and S-VCM to name two I've used, that electronically adjust resistance so you never have to play with resistors. Plus they offer over temp protection. TBH, I don't understand how those simple resistor models sell anymore. The electronic ones are superior in every way.

Registered
Hi - If I may ask a question, kind of related - the muzzlers are still beneficial on our '19s, right? I totally hate the VCM function and don't want it, so I am considering the S-VCM.

Will the dealer freak out when I take it in for service?
If so, is it a hassle to disconnect when having to take it for service?

Thanks.

Registered
Can someone please explain what it is and why it is beneficial ? 2020 Odysseys use the same engine, right?

Registered
My wife had an 09 Accord and I hated VCM in that car. Mode switchover was obvious and, while I can't prove it, I'm convinced it was responsible for oil ring damage. When I bought the 19 Pilot, I simply didn't want to take any chances and disabled VCM immediately. It's a small price to pay for peace of mind. Mind you, today's VCM may be better implemented, but I don't want to find out.

In theory, you should get faster throttle response with it disabled. On a Pilot which has a neutered throttle to begin with, probably not much to gain. On an Accord, perhaps more to gain.

Registered
My wife had an 09 Accord and I hated VCM in that car. Mode switchover was obvious and, while I can't prove it, I'm convinced it was responsible for oil ring damage. When I bought the 19 Pilot, I simply didn't want to take any chances and disabled VCM immediately. It's a small price to pay for peace of mind. Mind you, today's VCM may be better implemented, but I don't want to find out.

In theory, you should get faster throttle response with it disabled. On a Pilot which has a neutered throttle to begin with, probably not much to gain. On an Accord, perhaps more to gain.
1000% agree.

Registered
I muzzled my 2010 Odyssey

I have not chosen to muzzle my 2014 Accord V6. I read that the VCM on the 2014 changed for the better vs the 2010. I can hardly detect the system being on and I haven't had issues

Is there any documented issue with 2019 or 2020 Pilots on VCM or are people still scared of the boogeyman from 10yrs ago when the system has since been improved?

Registered
When I bought my '19 touring, I asked the shop mgr how the VCM issues that were common in the 2nd gens were doing now in the 3rd gens. He thought for a minute & said, they're still too new to know. Hmmmm, made me wonder. But by now there's quite a few 16s & 17s with a lot of miles, and are we hearing of the same motor issues in the forums?

What I really don't like is that momentary lag while the vcm shuts off & all cylinders are going again. That power lag could/can happen, & has happened, at an inopportune moment when instant response is needed.

Registered
When I bought my '19 touring, I asked the shop mgr how the VCM issues that were common in the 2nd gens were doing now in the 3rd gens. He thought for a minute & said, they're still too new to know. Hmmmm, made me wonder. But by now there's quite a few 16s & 17s with a lot of miles, and are we hearing of the same motor issues in the forums?

What I really don't like is that momentary lag while the vcm shuts off & all cylinders are going again. That power lag could/can happen, & has happened, at an inopportune moment when instant response is needed.
Right but my understanding is the VCM was changed at least at the 2013 Accord and potentially in the 2011 Odysseys? So it has been awhile

I do hear you on the throttle response although I don't notice it on my Accord. On the Odyssey there was more growling while on cruise in VCM.

Registered
Right but my understanding is the VCM was changed at least at the 2013 Accord and potentially in the 2011 Odysseys? So it has been awhile

I do hear you on the throttle response although I don't notice it on my Accord. On the Odyssey there was more growling while on cruise in VCM.
It will be nice if it's been changed enough to not cause potential trouble anymore. And I really haven't heard the 3rd gens complaining about the same issues as gen2.

And yeah, it's been an odd feeling, like suddenly limp, or sluggish. But I haven't noticed a noise. And then I missed a necessary downshift into a passing lane b/c of it 'changing'. But I'm used to driving a '98 v6 accord that was very responsive, loved spirited driving.... ;)

Registered
I muzzled my 2010 Odyssey

I have not chosen to muzzle my 2014 Accord V6. I read that the VCM on the 2014 changed for the better vs the 2010. I can hardly detect the system being on and I haven't had issues

Is there any documented issue with 2019 or 2020 Pilots on VCM or are people still scared of the boogeyman from 10yrs ago when the system has since been improved?
The changes from 2016 to current, Honda now cycles the deactivated cylinders on/off more often while VCM is active to help prevent early days problems. Some people can detect the engine vibrations when its active and others have no clue. There have been some active motor mounts replaced for leakage, no major engine issues reported so far from VCM. For many people it's just peace of mind to deactivate the VCM and not worry about possible future problems if they do show up. Both of mine are muzzled (100 ohm resistors) and happy. If I were to do it again today, look at VCM Tuner 2 and S-VCM, they are more advanced.

Registered
Honda now cycles the deactivated cylinders on/off more often while VCM is active.....

Both of mine are muzzled (100 ohm resistors) and happy. If I were to do it again today, look at VCM Tuner 2 and S-VCM, they are more advanced.
Interesting about cycling it on/off. Still just seems so hard on the motor.....I try to take good care of my rigs so they'll last a long time, many miles.

Did you muzzle yours as soon as you got them, or after awhile? How many miles now?

Registered
My 2018 has had S-VCM since 500 miles and now has 25K. No issues...install it and forget about it with no need to worry about changing resistors with seasonal changes.

Registered
Interesting about cycling it on/off. Still just seems so hard on the motor.....I try to take good care of my rigs so they'll last a long time, many miles.

Did you muzzle yours as soon as you got them, or after awhile? How many miles now?
Yeah well I think it's hard on the engine or at least the starter to have the stupid stoplight engine off thing too but yet here we are.....to save some drops of gasoline I guess

Registered
My 2018 has had S-VCM since 500 miles and now has 25K.
I was considering the S-VCM, but will the dealer freak out/accuse me of voiding any warranties if they see it when changing the oil?

Registered
Yeah well I think it's hard on the engine or at least the starter to have the stupid stoplight engine off thing too but yet here we are.....to save some drops of gasoline I guess
Oh, I so agree about it being hard on the starter & motor! But - at least Honda gives us a button to turn it off!! Some cars have no choice, it's only 'on'.

Registered
Oh, I so agree about it being hard on the starter & motor! But - at least Honda gives us a button to turn it off!! Some cars have no choice, it's only 'on'.
Yeah but when you turn it off then there is probably some stupid dash light I need to look at all the time right? Seriously I know it sounds petty but these silly things make it harder for me to "upgrade" to a new 35,000 dollar car vs my 2010 Odyssey. But I'm sure I can get over it. There really should be a vehicle settings thing on the screen menus where you can disable it permanently but then I know they wouldn't be allowed to include the .01 mpg benefit or whatever dumb amount it is in their CAFE calcs

Registered
probably some stupid dash light.... disable it permanently....
Nah, not all things are petty - I hate the tach being a long line, to me tachs are circular, my brain instantly knows where I'm at instead of having to look more closely, lol.

The green auto/stop/start light turns to amber - it's a little circular line (maybe 1/4") vs bright light at the top left of the drivers screen, to the left of the tach. Not too intrusive, which I'm glad about.

And yes, someone on here has figured out how to permanently turn it off!! I think it's a sticky topic on the first page. Other car brands have figured out ways for their cars - a friend has a Durango & said if they put a pig-tail in the hitch plug in, it shuts it off. We could try that, too.

Registered
Other car brands have figured out ways for their cars - a friend has a Durango & said if they put a pig-tail in the hitch plug in, it shuts it off. We could try that, too.
Honda's don't have the trailer towing mode hitch sensor like the Durango and Fords.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts