Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody with a third gen pilot have any issues related to VCM? I’m considering getting a vcm muzzler, but if there are less issues than the last gen pilot, I won’t get it.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
I've been on the forum for 3 or so years now. I haven't really seen any complaints with the 3rd gen and VCM issues.

That being said, if I were to buy one I would invest in a VCM disabler of some sort just because I don't value the .5 mpg at any risk, no matter how low the risk is.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been on the forum for 3 or so years now. I haven't really seen any complaints with the 3rd gen and VCM issues.

That being said, if I were to buy one I would invest in a VCM disabler of some sort just because I don't value the .5 mpg at any risk, no matter how low the risk is.
But I could also step on the gas every few minutes. I'd only get it if it's a big issue, but the 3rd gen doesn't really have VCM related issues.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I'm running the VCM Tuner II, same as I have on my other Honda, a 2015 Odyssey. VCM is much less noticeable on the Pilot than it was on the Odyssey, and from what I read here it doesn't seem to be causing long term issues (at least not yet). But, with as many issues the 3rd Gen Pilot seems to have overall I bought it as cheap insurance.

·
Registered
4,264 Posts
But I could also step on the gas every few minutes. I'd only get it if it's a big issue, but the 3rd gen doesn't really have VCM related issues.
Given your criteria, I wouldn't get it.

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
I blame the VCM as having a role in the early failure of 3rd Gen Pilot transmissions. After my VCM was disabled, my transmission no longer acted squirly, and stopped slipping.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
I must be one of the lucky ones cause I don't even notice the VCM activating or deactivating cylinders. I can't see the VCM putting a lot of stress on the transmission unless it is causing severe misfires and hesitation. Overheating and dirty fluid are the leading causes of premature transmission failure.

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
I must be one of the lucky ones cause I don't even notice the VCM activating or deactivating cylinders. I can't see the VCM putting a lot of stress on the transmission unless it is causing severe misfires and hesitation. Overheating and dirty fluid are the leading causes of premature transmission failure.
Yes, I agree with you.
I bought my 2017 Pilot EX-L as salvage and rebuilt it at 19k miles. The original owner drove it through 2 hot summers before he wrecked it. This is the black DW-1 puke I drained out of it when I realized I had a problem.

I think it's a huge mistake to drive in hot temperatures without an ATF cooler regardless if your towing or not. DW-1 can't take the heat. It's terrible fluid IMO. With MaxLife ATF, S-VCM, front and rear engine mounts and a set of new tires, all is running smooth and quiet.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I don’t notice it either. Hope it stays that way for a long time.

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
204 Posts
I haven’t experienced or at least my wife hasn’t complained about her 19 EXL. Seems smooth. Will change the transmission fluid at 30K.

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
Where I noticed the problem was when I set the cruise control at highway speed. The VCM is active and the transmission would slip ever so slightly and sparatically. You notice this by watching your rpm gauge. Check for slight fluctuations. If it is, your transmission is wearing prematurely.
If your under warranty, I recommend frequent transmission fluid changes with that NON-full synthetic DW-1 suff and disable your VCM.

·
Registered
743 Posts
It seems there is more to your story Nail, we change a lot of trans fluid (2 55 gallon drums a week), and rarely see fluid like yours. When it does look like yours, usually it's in a veh that tows and don't get regular fluid changes. Odd yours looks that bad at 19k.

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
It seems there is more to your story Nail, we change a lot of trans fluid (2 55 gallon drums a week), and rarely see fluid like yours. When it does look like yours, usually it's in a veh that tows and don't get regular fluid changes. Odd yours looks that bad at 19k.
I had no metal shavings on my magnet. But the metallic black silt was quite heavy. The fluid was over 2 years old and smelled old. Is it plausable going 2 hot summers of stop and go driving in Houston Tx?
My dislike for DW-1 goes a long way back. I know Honda could sell us a better fluid. I'll be honest and say that Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic ATF does not provide as smooth a shift in this 6-speed. It's viscosity being at 156. This fluid works great in my 5 speeds. I am thinking of trying Amalie Universal Synthetic that has a viscosity of 180 in my Pilot and see if that eases the shift shock without it slipping.

·
Registered
743 Posts
I'm in Iowa so, possibly the weather conditions and traffic situations are the cause. A traffic jam here means it took 15 minutes instead of 12 minutes to go 10 miles:LOL:

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I had no metal shavings on my magnet. But the metallic black silt was quite heavy. The fluid was over 2 years old and smelled old. Is it plausable going 2 hot summers of stop and go driving in Houston Tx?
My dislike for DW-1 goes a long way back. I know Honda could sell us a better fluid. I'll be honest and say that Valvoline MaxLife Full Synthetic ATF does not provide as smooth a shift in this 6-speed. It's viscosity being at 156. This fluid works great in my 5 speeds. I am thinking of trying Amalie Universal Synthetic that has a viscosity of 180 in my Pilot and see if that eases the shift shock without it slipping.
Does the 9-speed have fluid like the 6 speed does? If it does, it must suck a lot cuz of the overpriced fluid for the 9 speed.

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
Does the 9-speed have fluid like the 6 speed does? If it does, it must suck a lot cuz of the overpriced fluid for the 9 speed.
A different fluid is used.

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
Does it degrade as much as the 6 speed fluid?
I've heard it's full sunthetic unlike DW-1. I don't know much about it and I've never used it. I do know that the ZF9 transmission are in other makes.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I've heard it's full sunthetic unlike DW-1. I don't know much about it and I've never used it. I do know that the ZF9 transmission are in other makes.
Hmm. I’ll do more research on it. Still super scary how the fluid becomes totally black after just 2 years.

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
Hmm. I’ll do more research on it. Still super scary how the fluid becomes totally black after just 2 years.
It's quite simple. Heat.
The 3rd Gen EX-L does not have a transmission cooler, nor does it have lines routed to the radiator to help cool it like older models. That may be just fine further north. But in 100° + weather in stop and go traffic, there is no way that DW-1 can handle the challenge. I would advise anyone planning to keep their 3rd Gen long term to add a transmission cooler now if you drive in these kind of conditions.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts