Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 2009 Honda Pilot and had the misfiring on cylinder 2 at 158,000 kim (100,000 miles) . I took it in and they replace all the piston rings and flashed ECM under the extended warranty. Then at 181,000 km, cylinder 2 misfired again going up a hill in a high rpm situation. I would shut the engine off, the engine light went off and it quit misfiring. I limped it home from the trip we were on, as it repeated this several times. You would be running in ECO mode and then go into a high RPM situation such as climbing a hill or coming to a corner and taking off again. Each time shutting the engine off stopped the misfiring and engine light would go off. When I made it home I took it in to my local Honda and the mechanic figured that it was the rocker arm was not shifting back after being in ECO mode and then being put into a high RPM situation would cause the misfire. They would not warranty the repairs ($5000) because the engine was over the 8 year/ 160000 km extended warranty. I decided to purchase VCMuzzler and it has not misfired since. Worth every penny!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I own a 2009 Honda Pilot and had the misfiring on cylinder 2 at 158,000 kim (100,000 miles) . I took it in and they replace all the piston rings and flashed ECM under the extended warranty. Then at 181,000 km, cylinder 2 misfired again going up a hill in a high rpm situation. I would shut the engine off, the engine light went off and it quit misfiring. I limped it home from the trip we were on, as it repeated this several times. You would be running in ECO mode and then go into a high RPM situation such as climbing a hill or coming to a corner and taking off again. Each time shutting the engine off stopped the misfiring and engine light would go off. When I made it home I took it in to my local Honda and the mechanic figured that it was the rocker arm was not shifting back after being in ECO mode and then being put into a high RPM situation would cause the misfire. They would not warranty the repairs ($5000) because the engine was over the 8 year/ 160000 km extended warranty. I decided to purchase VCMuzzler and it has not misfired since. Worth every penny!!
Amen, as countless others have pointed out the VCM is rubbish. In my case it was a good thing because I was able to get my 2010 Honda pilot for cheap. The previous owner didn't check the oil, so it got low and seized the engine. I picked it up for next to nothing, changed out the motor and disabled the VCM. Its been running like a champ since, doesn't burn one drop.

·
Registered
204 Posts
So the vcm muzzler really works? I don't feel the vcm kick in or turn off so I'm not sure how I'd know if the muzzler is working or not. I'm thinking of getting one. I have a 2019 EX-L. You think the vcm issue is fixed by now or still a problem? You get them on eBay right?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So the vcm muzzler really works? I don't feel the vcm kick in or turn off so I'm not sure how I'd know if the muzzler is working or not. I'm thinking of getting one. I have a 2019 EX-L. You think the vcm issue is fixed by now or still a problem? You get them on eBay right?
It does really work by fooling the temperature sensor to read slightly a slightly lower temperature than required for the VCM to kick in. I believe the issues with the VCM are fixed in the newer models. As for knowing when the vehicle cuts out 3 cylinders (VCM), the older models have an ECO light that turns on when this is happening. I wouldn't recommend using a VCM Tuner unless you start to have problems and your warranty has expired.

·
Registered
204 Posts
It does really work by fooling the temperature sensor to read slightly a slightly lower temperature than required for the VCM to kick in. I believe the issues with the VCM are fixed in the newer models. As for knowing when the vehicle cuts out 3 cylinders (VCM), the older models have an ECO light that turns on when this is happening. I wouldn't recommend using a VCM Tuner unless you start to have problems and your warranty has expired.
I understand how it works, just curious how I would KNOW it's working lol. Car is new so no issues. Maybe I'll get one just to have it. Thanks for the info.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts