Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heyo! I'm going to be picking up my new '19 EXL is a couple days. I'm coming from a 2011 Odyssey where VCM messed up the plug on cyl 3, turned into a whole mess. I've had the VCM Muzzler on it since. I do see a lot of chatter about muzzling VCM on older gens here, but are you guys doing so on your 3rd gen Pilots as well? Are the same devices/techniques working? I was going to sell my VCM Muzzler II from the Odyssey thinking this must be all fixed up by now...

·
Registered
16 Posts
I haven't noticed any issues with VCM in my 2016 Pilot. Drove it across country after picking it up and didn't even realize it have VCM until I read it here.

·
Registered
159 Posts
VCM still exist on the 3rd gen Pilots. There is a quite a bit of official information about VCM on this site - https://hondanews.com/channels/pilot-press-kit/releases/2016-honda-pilot-powertrain

Many 3rd gen Pilot owners have said that it hasn't caused them any issues. But since it clearly has caused issues with other vehicles, I was not willing to run the risk of having it activate and potentially cause issues just to potentially increase MPG by a very small amount.

I opted to install the VCMuzzler and it works well once you figure out the correct resistor to use. My only complaint is that I have to change out the resistors because the difference between summer and winter causes a CEL if I use the same resistor all year-round. Getting to the resistor and changing it is SUPER easy. The hardest and most annoying part is putting the engine cover back on. Seems like I can never line up the posts/holes correctly.

If I had to do it over again, I would look to get an auto-adjusting resistor that dynamically tricks the temp to avoid VCM from activating. I forget the name but I'm pretty sure one like this does exist.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. I did know the 3rd gen had VCM, I was just hoping Honda worked out the issues from the past. You make a good point though, it might not be worth finding out. I had the same prob with my Odyssey and annual temperature fluctuations. I think I'll go with the modern type you mention that are variable, it def does exist: https://www.vcmtuner.com/

·
Registered
55 Posts
Honda changed the VCM in 2015 so the issues the older models had are not supposed to be an issue with our 3rd Gens. From what I have seen, it is not needed but some people still choose to use them from their past experiences. So far, I have not been able to tell when if VCM is kicking in or not and I am pretty attuned with feeling vibrations and things like that.

·
Registered
101 Posts
The link attached a couple posts up covers info on the new system. It is different from the last one which was troublesome. It seems that they got it right on this one. Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
125 Posts
I cannot tell when or if VCM activates, and I have seen zero posts by 3rd gen owner who are able to perceive when/if VCM activates. So, if you install a VCM muzzler, how would you know if it was doing anything?? Plus, messing with electronics/sensors on these new cars is not a good idea. The systems & electronics are so interconnected.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I cannot tell when or if VCM activates, and I have seen zero posts by 3rd gen owner who are able to perceive when/if VCM activates. So, if you install a VCM muzzler, how would you know if it was doing anything?? Plus, messing with electronics/sensors on these new cars is not a good idea. The systems & electronics are so interconnected.
Unfortunately, I can not provide any official Honda documentation or engineering proof but here is my general understanding and reasoning on disabling VCM that I've collected via internet research...

In the 3rd gen Pilots, there is not a VCM indicator or light that tells you if it's on/off or enabled/disabled. I think some other vehicles have this. In any event, several conditions must be met in order for the ECU to activate VCM. For example - certain speed, throttle input, coolant temperature, etc. Only when all of the required conditions are met, VCM is allowed to activate. The easiest and least intrusive trick for disabling VCM is to modify the coolant temp that is sent to the ECU. In doing so, not all of the required conditions are met and the ECU will never activate VCM.

Coolant temps are easily monitored (live) using almost all OBD2 scan tools. As far as I know, that is the easiest and only "consumer" way to monitor VCM activity. It's based upon an understanding of the software logic/code. The thought is that "I keep temps under the VCM requirement but over the lower limit of normal operating temps to avoid a CEL." Is this a 100% way to know if VCM is on or could be on? No. I think it's the closest we can get. I'd imagine that Honda has a scan tool that could tell you if VCM is on or off but that tool will probably never be publicly available. Hence my "consumer" wording earlier. The only potential known downfall to tricking, or reducing, the temp that is sent to the ECU is that if you trick the temp to be too low, the car will throw a CEL after x number of drive cycles because the coolant temp never reached a temp within the expected normal operating range.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unfortunately, I can not provide any official Honda documentation or engineering proof but here is my general understanding and reasoning on disabling VCM that I've collected via internet research...

In the 3rd gen Pilots, there is not a VCM indicator or light that tells you if it's on/off or enabled/disabled. I think some other vehicles have this. In any event, several conditions must be met in order for the ECU to activate VCM. For example - certain speed, throttle input, coolant temperature, etc. Only when all of the required conditions are met, VCM is allowed to activate. The easiest and least intrusive trick for disabling VCM is to modify the coolant temp that is sent to the ECU. In doing so, not all of the required conditions are met and the ECU will never activate VCM.

Coolant temps are easily monitored (live) using almost all OBD2 scan tools. As far as I know, that is the easiest and only "consumer" way to monitor VCM activity. It's based upon an understanding of the software logic/code. The thought is that "I keep temps under the VCM requirement but over the lower limit of normal operating temps to avoid a CEL." Is this a 100% way to know if VCM is on or could be on? No. I think it's the closest we can get. I'd imagine that Honda has a scan tool that could tell you if VCM is on or off but that tool will probably never be publicly available. Hence my "consumer" wording earlier. The only potential known downfall to tricking, or reducing, the temp that is sent to the ECU is that if you trick the temp to be too low, the car will throw a CEL after x number of drive cycles because the coolant temp never reached a temp within the expected normal operating range.
In my Odyssey it was very noticeable when VCM kicked in. First off an ECO light on the dash, soon followed by a slight clunk and vibration through the entire vehical. Easily felt in the steering wheel. Caused quite a noticable delay if you wanted to accelerate quick again as well. Given all that I'm very much looking forward to not knowing when VCM engages in my new Pilot!

·
Registered
125 Posts

Good info & that agrees with the research that I have done. But, as long as the transition is seamless, and no one reports engine problems(related to the VCM) on the 3rd gen Pilots, I'll pass on the muzzler.

·
Registered
109 Posts
In my Odyssey it was very noticeable when VCM kicked in. First off an ECO light on the dash, soon followed by a slight clunk and vibration through the entire vehical. Easily felt in the steering wheel. Caused quite a noticable delay if you wanted to accelerate quick again as well. Given all that I'm very much looking forward to not knowing when VCM engages in my new Pilot!
You are saying the ECON icon/light would come on when VCM kicked in when you had ECON disabled (since if you enable it yourself the ECON icon/light would be present already)?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
There is no ECON button in the 2011 Odyssey. When running at normal temps and cruising under 10L/km on the milage gauge the ECO light comes on. If speeds are high enough VCM kicks in.

·
Registered
10 Posts
VCM still exist on the 3rd gen Pilots. There is a quite a bit of official information about VCM on this site - https://hondanews.com/channels/pilot-press-kit/releases/2016-honda-pilot-powertrain

Many 3rd gen Pilot owners have said that it hasn't caused them any issues. But since it clearly has caused issues with other vehicles, I was not willing to run the risk of having it activate and potentially cause issues just to potentially increase MPG by a very small amount.

I opted to install the VCMuzzler and it works well once you figure out the correct resistor to use. My only complaint is that I have to change out the resistors because the difference between summer and winter causes a CEL if I use the same resistor all year-round. Getting to the resistor and changing it is SUPER easy. The hardest and most annoying part is putting the engine cover back on. Seems like I can never line up the posts/holes correctly.

If I had to do it over again, I would look to get an auto-adjusting resistor that dynamically tricks the temp to avoid VCM from activating. I forget the name but I'm pretty sure one like this does exist.
I used the S VCM on both my and my daughters 2011 pilots and have had increased mileage and no driveability problems what so ever. No resistors to change or mess with.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Thanks for the info. I did know the 3rd gen had VCM, I was just hoping Honda worked out the issues from the past. You make a good point though, it might not be worth finding out. I had the same prob with my Odyssey and annual temperature fluctuations. I think I'll go with the modern type you mention that are variable, it def does exist: https://www.vcmtuner.com/
That one you still have to manually adjust resistance values. They one you want is https://www.svcmcontroller.com/
I was having same pita issues as nafterclifen was experiencing with the Muzzler. Since I switched months and 3,000 miles ago to the s-vcm controller I have not once even a blip of the eco light. GET THE S-VCM CONTROLLER, NOT ANY OF ALLTHE OTHER PRIMITIVE ONES! TRUST ME

·
Registered
222 Posts
That one you still have to manually adjust resistance values. They one you want is https://www.svcmcontroller.com/
I was having same pita issues as @nafterclifen was experiencing with the Muzzler. Since I switched months and 3,000 miles ago to the s-vcm controller I have not once even a blip of the eco light. GET THE S-VCM CONTROLLER, NOT ANY OF ALLTHE OTHER PRIMITIVE ONES! TRUST ME

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have the muzzler on my 2016. Monitor the coolant temp with my scanner. I could never tell when the vcm kicked in and out on my Pilot, just feel better with the muzzler on it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts