Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

81 - 100 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Slight tangent -- I did a service on the car yesterday. The MM showed 50% remaining oil life, the point at which I normally do the services, plus it's been 15 months so stretching the normal 12-month max between services. We just haven't been going anywhere. Two extended trips late in 2019, else grocery runs only in the last year now.

Oh yeah -- point of the post: The oil still showed full on the dipstick. So the VCMuzzler in place for several years now is avoiding oil consumption from disabled cylinders anyway. The next engine oil service gets ATF and driveline fluids swapped. Coolant and brake fluid will get swapped in the spring, while the water pump is renewed.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Slight tangent -- I did a service on the car yesterday. The MM showed 50% remaining oil life, the point at which I normally do the services, plus it's been 15 months so stretching the normal 12-month max between services. We just haven't been going anywhere. Two extended trips late in 2019, else grocery runs only in the last year now.

Oh yeah -- point of the post: The oil still showed full on the dipstick. So the VCMuzzler in place for several years now is avoiding oil consumption from disabled cylinders anyway. The next engine oil service gets ATF and driveline fluids swapped. Coolant and brake fluid will get swapped in the spring, while the water pump is renewed.
Thanks for the info ... good to hear.
Which oil?
Does renew mean change it? If so, how often do you change the water pump (and not the TB?)

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Thanks for the info ... good to hear.
Which oil?
Does renew mean change it? If so, how often do you change the water pump (and not the TB?)
The car has had Mobil-1 in it since it arrived home the first time from Honda.

In this case, renew does mean change.

Current plan is to do a TB/WP/tensioner replacement in the spring. It will have about 55k on it then.

I noticed there's some dust on the timing covers, else everything else is pretty much ready for the tools. Might give the engine bay another cleaning first just to be sure. Don't want to get my white work gloves dirty! ;)

·
Registered
662 Posts
The car has had Mobil-1 in it since it arrived home the first time from Honda.

In this case, renew does mean change.

Current plan is to do a TB/WP/tensioner replacement in the spring. It will have about 55k on it then.

I noticed there's some dust on the timing covers, else everything else is pretty much ready for the tools. Might give the engine bay another cleaning first just to be sure. Don't want to get my white work gloves dirty! ;)
Maybe serpentine belt dust? (unless you meant the inside of the covers)

Along with your white work gloves do you also wear a white lab coat and a stethoscope draped around your neck? Don't forget the surgical mask! I also picture a nurse there to slap the right tools in your hand on command.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I assume you have changed the ATF? Cold weather can cause a transmission to have these kinds of symptoms.
Honestly, I don't know. I assume that last owner had taken care of it. But I don't see in the service history. Probably last owner was a handy man and when I think about the maintenance costs, It make sense to me. But yes, handy man means lack of history records. So is there any way to be sure that I need to change the ATF for this 9 zf transmission?

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Honestly, I don't know. I assume that last owner had taken care of it. But I don't see in the service history. Probably last owner was a handy man and when I think about the maintenance costs, It make sense to me. But yes, handy man means lack of history records. So is there any way to be sure that I need to change the ATF for this 9 zf transmission?
From what I understand, there is no dipstick to check the quality or level of the ATF on a 9-speed. With the symptoms it has, I'd change it. If you want to save yourself a couple of hundred dollars or more, I'd go to Honda and buy 3.1 ATF and DIY. This transmission has an upper fill bolt and a lower drain bolt, serviceable through the drivers side wheel well. I'm sure there is a how to video on YouTube or a post on the forum with instructions. Should be fairly easy.

Reactions: Kalimdor

·
Registered
6,238 Posts

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
1,177 Posts

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
Holy Guacamole!! How long, will this BS go on?

What a hassle- understatement.
I wouldn't sweat the small stuff. I would buy new drain and fill plugs.
The dealership will peg you for $350‐500. You pay $100‐125 for 4 quarts. Drain and fill yourself and save big time. You will need a hand pump or a pressure bottle to pump the fluid in.
Yes, not as simple as a 6-speed.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
1,177 Posts
Holy Thread Jump Tangent BatMan!

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
560 Posts
Does the 9 speed have a “FILL” hole, a “FULL” hole and a “drain“ hole?

·
Registered
662 Posts
I heard the new Honda 15 speed transmission coming out real soon now will require a fluid change with Honda ATF 4.8.2 rev 9 every third Wednesday of months with 31 days but first it has to be warmed up to 347.6 F by driving it backwards at between 75-81 mph for an hour and four minutes and put on unparallel bars at a 29-1/3 degree tilt engine down while in 2nd gear filled up to 47/32nds of an inch past the #7 cylinder spark plug hole.

That's the dealer procedure.

Of course, you can buy the Toyota fluid and do it yourself any way you like to save money.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
I heard the new Honda 15 speed transmission coming out real soon now will require a fluid change with Honda ATF 4.8.2 rev 9 every third Wednesday of months with 31 days but first it has to be warmed up to 347.6 F by driving it backwards at between 75-81 mph for an hour and four minutes and put on unparallel bars at a 29-1/3 degree tilt engine down while in 2nd gear filled up to 47/32nds of an inch past the #7 cylinder spark plug hole.

That's the dealer procedure.

Of course, you can buy the Toyota fluid and do it yourself any way you like to save money.
I'm a little confused. Lol

·
Registered
662 Posts
Does the 9 speed have a “FILL” hole, a “FULL” hole and a “drain“ hole?
Seems like ahole too much. I'd just fill it through the full hole, but that's just lazy me. Maybe they felt guilty taking away the dipstick hole.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Seems like ahole too much. I'd just fill it through the full hole, but that's just lazy me. Maybe they felt guilty taking away the dipstick hole.
That was really helpful, General.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I'm a little confused. Lol
What I found interesting in the video is that the one manufacturer using the same transmission will spec "overfilling" the transmission based the steeper grade their vehicle is able to climb. It's been my impression that overfilling an automatic transmission is not good, and that still may be the case, at least with the 5 speeds. (and maybe the 6 speeds as well)

I had this theory as to why I felt this shudder after making turns that maybe transmission fluid was being forced away from the pump pickup by centrifugal force. So I keep my fluid level at or a little above the full mark but I have no proof it helps anything, but I also haven't seen any bad consequences either.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
What I found interesting in the video is that the one manufacturer using the same transmission will spec "overfilling" the transmission based the steeper grade their vehicle is able to climb. It's been my impression that overfilling an automatic transmission is not good, and that still may be the case, at least with the 5 speeds. (and maybe the 6 speeds as well)

I had this theory as to why I felt this shudder after making turns that maybe transmission fluid was being forced away from the pump pickup by centrifugal force. So I keep my fluid level at or a little above the full mark but I have no proof it helps anything, but I also haven't seen any bad consequences either.
I would think the ATF would be low if the transmission ceased functioning on a steep grade.
There is likely a little room for extra ATF. I've heard of some using a whole 4 quart bottle of MaxLife with no issues (if completely drained, left rear jack). But at some point, overfilling can damage a transmission. The transmission temperature will rise and pressurized due to foaming ATF. Driveability would be noticeable, unless the driver is oblivious. Then the likely ATF mess in the engine bay.
So my concern would be, what is "little above the fill mark?"

81 - 100 of 112 Posts