Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

61 - 80 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
662 Posts
To be honest I think people who are having problems with the VCM may need to muzzle them I believe they are mostly the older vehicles, but just because Honda got a bad batch of rings or whatever, it does not mean every car with a VCM needs to have it turned off.
Of course if you selling these things then of course your going to go on every forum telling everyone to buy one based
on a small percentage of cars that had a problem in the past and using that to scare people into buying something when their engines are running fine.
I think you're under the impression I'm selling something here. That's a misconception (among others) on your part. I am not selling anything here.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Dinking with theoxy sensor signal adjusts mixture if it's an upstream sensor, sets the MIL with an error if it's a downstream sensor. Not sure that it wouls disable VCM doing that anyway. Intersting to hera your reasoning on this.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
662 Posts
Rocket Science. I don't think so same principles used here.
You'd have a hard time convincing most people to replace their air intake and exhaust 02 sensors with resistors to make the Pilot sound like rich running Harley. The absence of codes has been proven to be an unreliable indication all is well.

·
Registered
157 Posts
You'd have a hard time convincing most people to replace their air intake and exhaust 02 sensors with resistors to make the Pilot sound like rich running Harley. The absence of codes has been proven to be an unreliable indication all is well.
The video is just a example of the principles used in the S-VCM like I said when I posted it, I don't see me saying anything else like I wanted to do this to people's Honda's.
Are you saying the S-VCM does not use a resistor to fake the temp signal, I believe it is the same trick different function.

I'm not selling anything. My VCM is ok as millions of others.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Dinking with theoxy sensor signal adjusts mixture if it's an upstream sensor, sets the MIL with an error if it's a downstream sensor. Not sure that it wouls disable VCM doing that anyway. Intersting to hera your reasoning on this.
I drove hundreds of miles with a turned off VCM because of P0420 CEL. Until I got a new 02-sensor installed and the code went away and the VCM began working again.
I wish I could say otherwise to help people out, but I noticed absolutely no difference except loss in gas milage while the VCM was turned off. Zero change in all aspects except gas milage and the little green ECO coming on.

·
Registered
662 Posts
The video is just a example of the principles used in the S-VCM like I said when I posted it, I don't see me saying anything else like I wanted to do this to people's Honda's.
Are you saying the S-VCM does not use a resistor to fake the temp signal, I believe it is the same trick different function.

I'm not selling anything. My VCM is ok as millions of others.
Don't know what's in the S-VCM. If I had to guess, it's probably not a resistor. Probably a MOSFET and a capacitor and a DAC and GPIO controller. But that's only a guess.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Don't know what's in the S-VCM. If I had to guess, it's probably not a resistor. Probably a MOSFET and a capacitor and a DAC and GPIO controller. But that's only a guess.
I don't know either, looking around there seems to many VCM disablers. I'm glad I don't need one. I think I finally had enough of the subject of VCM.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
1,177 Posts
I don't know either, looking around there seems to many VCM disablers. I'm glad I don't need one. I think I finally had enough of the subject of VCM.
Ok, I'm going to come up with a free D.I.Y. Muzzler solution. One that uses the current code in the computer to turn off the VCM without any Hocus Pokus and does not interfere with any other systems or sending a false temperature. With what I'm thinking the cost will be Free or under a dollar for parts.

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
2012 Honda Pilot
17 Posts
You might not need a VCM disabler but it coming on does put more wear on the engine. I had no symptoms but still installed it. I changed the plugs at the same time. On the old plugs 3 of them were very different than the other 3. They were dirtier and oily. I'm pretty sure they only put in VCM to just get better gas mileage, even though it might only be a 5% difference, if that. I'll take better reliability over a ~5% savings in MPG. And when I bought the Pilot last year I did not know about the VCM issue. Even if I did I still would have bought it. It was the best used SUV in my price range for 3 rows that is dependable and gets god gas mileage. The next closet thing is a Toyota.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
1,177 Posts
Jeffs2020.
If you had an O2 sensor CEL light on, IIRC that also affects the the real time ECU's adjustment of the A/F ratio.

Just because it keeps the VCM from coming on, it still may not be running optimally, and therefore not a good comparison to the VCM disabler devices- that IIRC, allow the ECU to have a good workable fuel map on the motor?

* Oh yeah, and btw, where is the OP?
Where's Tahoe fever?

Reactions: aggrex and dr bob

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have installed VCM Tuner II on my 2016 Pilot Touring. First I drove in sport mode ~3500 rpm for a while to make the engine temp up. Then I tried to sudden acceleration like passing a car a couple of times. There was no performance and jerking issue like happened sometimes before. Installation was straightforward. My pilot is about 100k now. I am planning to replace my spark plugs with ruthenium spark plugs and air intake valve cleaning with CRC and the last thing is installing oil catch can or it is better an oil air separator. I like this car and I want to keep this engine healthy as much as possible. Result, I haven't had a long experience about VCM Tuner II yet but it seems it will be worth.

·
Registered
662 Posts
You might not need a VCM disabler but it coming on does put more wear on the engine. I had no symptoms but still installed it. I changed the plugs at the same time. On the old plugs 3 of them were very different than the other 3. They were dirtier and oily. I'm pretty sure they only put in VCM to just get better gas mileage, even though it might only be a 5% difference, if that. I'll take better reliability over a ~5% savings in MPG. And when I bought the Pilot last year I did not know about the VCM issue. Even if I did I still would have bought it. It was the best used SUV in my price range for 3 rows that is dependable and gets god gas mileage. The next closet thing is a Toyota.
Interesting ... I did quick run on the numbers for our annual fuel costs and total miles driven. I do this every new year's for all the cars.

The Pilot was driven a total of 8,965 miles with a total fuel cost of $1,110 at an average $2.17/gal, for an average of $.12/mile or 17.53 mpg. Due to Covid very few long trips were taken so most of the miles were city driving.

The car was purchased in March of 2019 and ran 4 months before I was aware of VCM or disablers. During those 4 months sans VCMuzzer, gas mileage was averaging about 18.5 mpg, so about a 1 mpg difference or as you say, ~5%. We were taking more highway trips back then so, apples to apples, it is probably less than 3%.

Aside from my personal experience with the Pilot, using national averages of 15,000 miles/year and $2.27/gal standard gasoline, a 5% "penalty" in fuel costs using a VCM disabler at an average 19 mpg, the calculation would be:

(15000 / 19) * 2.256 * .05 = $89.05

I think $89.05 is a very small price to pay when looked at as an insurance premium against the many hundreds of dollars in increased maintenance costs caused by VCM just in O2 sensors, catalytic converters, plugs, and oil ... not to mention (although I will), the thousands of dollars in damage to rings, pistons, motor mounts, transmissions and torque converters.

5% better gas mileage, if that .... meh.

I can get anywhere from 10% to 20% better gas mileage by driving more conservatively, and even more than that using gas saving techniques, maintaining the high end of proper tire pressure, keeping speeds under 70mph, letting off the gas pedal the instant I see the light ahead turn red, etc., etc.

·
Registered
86 Posts
The ECU uses a number of conditions to determine when to engage VCM; oil pressure, vehicle speed, load data and engine temperature detected at ETC1. On VCM equipped vehicles, Honda admits that oil consumption on the order of a quart every thousand miles is normal. Most all owners using a VCM disabler report no or very little oil consumption between oil changes anywhere from 3,000 to 15,000 miles. The average MM oil change reminder comes around every 7,000 mules, so you be the judge if adding 7 quarts of oil to your Honda VCM engine between oil changes is normal. Oil changes only take around 5 quarts.
I use oil, I never really keep track. I just top it off regularly. I'm guessing 5 quarts between changes. I have no reason to lie, if my VCM was causing me issues I would tell you.
Looks like your VCM is causing you issues.

·
Registered
560 Posts
I have installed VCM Tuner II on my 2016 Pilot Touring. First I drove in sport mode ~3500 rpm for a while to make the engine temp up. Then I tried to sudden acceleration like passing a car a couple of times. There was no performance and jerking issue like happened sometimes before. Installation was straightforward. My pilot is about 100k now. I am planning to replace my spark plugs with ruthenium spark plugs and air intake valve cleaning with CRC and the last thing is installing oil catch can or it is better an oil air separator. I like this car and I want to keep this engine healthy as much as possible. Result, I haven't had a long experience about VCM Tuner II yet but it seems it will be worth.
Have you noticed if the Honda grade logic, engine braking, downshifting when coming to a stop is any more subtle with the VCM killer installed????

·
Registered
662 Posts
I don't need the 1 mpg more over a VCM disabled engine since I can get more than that through driving techniques alone although good maintenance is also a factor. What I also don't need are P040 codes or the need to add oil between oil changes.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Have you noticed if the Honda grade logic, engine braking, downshifting when coming to a stop is any more subtle with the VCM killer installed????
It is 9th day after I installed VCM Tuner II to 2016 Pilot Touring. Frankly, I'm not sure if this is a coincidence. Gear shifts started to get very jerky, especially in low gears and during stopping. Maybe It's like downshifting the gear too late. Acceleration is still much better. I will remove VCM Tuner in this week and I will test it again. If it is just a coincidence, then I will start to find a solution to fix 9 speed ZF transmission issue. I think there are a lot of people who complain of 9 ZF transmission.

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
It is 9th day after I installed VCM Tuner II to 2016 Pilot Touring. Frankly, I'm not sure if this is a coincidence. Gear shifts started to get very jerky, especially in low gears and during stopping. Maybe It's like downshifting the gear too late. Acceleration is still much better. I will remove VCM Tuner in this week and I will test it again. If it is just a coincidence, then I will start to find a solution to fix 9 speed ZF transmission issue. I think there are a lot of people who complain of 9 ZF transmission.
I assume you have changed the ATF? Cold weather can cause a transmission to have these kinds of symptoms.

61 - 80 of 112 Posts