Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

41 - 60 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
6,238 Posts
The problem with suggesting that the VCM disablers CAUSE problems is that there simply is no evidence of it. We have plenty of evidence that VCM causes problems including a class action lawsuit. If you don’t believe it causes mechanical problems despite all the evidence and even dealers vocally hating it, then all you have to do is drive without vcm for a bit to realize it causes these cars to drive like a POS.

Some quick facts:

The car will not overheat because of a VCM device. The fans are controlled by a different sensor (ect2 as I recall) and the thermostat is purely mechanical. The ecu is doing little to nothing to regulate temperature as a result of this sensor.

The gauge may indicate an inaccurate reading with a vcm disabling device, however the good disablers will restore the accurate temp in the event something causes it to go out of the normal range.
Explained so eloquently in such simple terms. Will it matter? Lol

·
Registered
157 Posts
Ok, I'm going to come up with a free D.I.Y. Muzzler solution. One that uses the current code in the computer to turn off the VCM without any Hocus Pokus and does not interfere with any other systems or sending a false temperature. With what I'm thinking the cost will be Free or under a dollar for parts.

·
Registered
2,035 Posts
Sounds great!

That's kinda how we ended up with the options we have now. Always open to improvement, especially for under a dollar!

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
338 Posts
Ok, I'm going to come up with a free D.I.Y. Muzzler solution. One that uses the current code in the computer to turn off the VSM without and Hocus Pokus and does not interfere with any other systems or sending a false temperature. With what I'm thinking the cost will be Free or under a dollar for parts.
Please do, no one wants to lie to the ecu, but as of today it’s the best solution we have. There have been a lot of iterations of this:

1. Disconnect the vcm actuation solenoid. Turns off vcm but causes a CEL and would fail emissions due to the cel.
  2. VCM Muzzler - basically verbatim (member here) found a correlation between the ect1 temp sensor and vcm actuation. He created the resistor based muzzler that he still sells today. The negative is that if the car runs hot for some reason you might not see it on the gauge. Additionally in traffic sometimes vcm would come back on if temps got high enough ( but still not overheating) that the resister wasn’t enough.
  3. S-VCM & VCM Tuner 2 - These two solutions were meant to solve the negatives caused by the resister based solution. They keep vcm reliably disabled in all situations and ”fail open” to report the accurate temperature if it’s outside of the normal operating range. These are plug and play and effectively disable vcm with zero side effects.

If you can engineer the next best thing by truly disabling the code in the ECU, I think you stand to make some good money, though the benefit to the existing devices are that it’s easy to remove in less than 5 minutes for warranty purposes.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Ok, I'm going to come up with a free D.I.Y. Muzzler solution. One that uses the current code in the computer to turn off the VCM without any Hocus Pokus and does not interfere with any other systems or sending a false temperature. With what I'm thinking the cost will be Free or under a dollar for parts.
The problem with that approach although I commend you for your willingness to do more than criticize existing solutions, is that using the current code in the computer in a way different than it was intended could violate the protections it enjoys under copyright law. Not only might you be creating legal exposure for yourself, but anyone using your product as well.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Please do, no one wants to lie to the ecu, but as of today it’s the best solution we have. There have been a lot of iterations of this:

1. Disconnect the vcm actuation solenoid. Turns off vcm but causes a CEL and would fail emissions due to the cel.
  2. VCM Muzzler - basically verbatim (member here) found a correlation between the ect1 temp sensor and vcm actuation. He created the resistor based muzzler that he still sells today. The negative is that if the car runs hot for some reason you might not see it on the gauge. Additionally in traffic sometimes vcm would come back on if temps got high enough ( but still not overheating) that the resister wasn’t enough.
  3. S-VCM & VCM Tuner 2 - These two solutions were meant to solve the negatives caused by the resister based solution. They keep vcm reliably disabled in all situations and ”fail open” to report the accurate temperature if it’s outside of the normal operating range. These are plug and play and effectively disable vcm with zero side effects.

If you can engineer the next best thing by truly disabling the code in the ECU, I think you stand to make some good money, though the benefit to the existing devices are that it’s easy to remove in less than 5 minutes for warranty purposes.
The problem with accessing and using the existing code in the ECU without permission from Honda, or using devices not sanctioned by Honda to access or modify it, is that it leaves anyone doing so open to both criminal and civil liability including users of such a product. Also, in order to restore the software to its original state, a copy of it would have to be made and rewritten to the the ECU. Just making the copy as a backup regardless of what is done with it or charged for the ability to make the copy, is prima facia evidence of copyright infringement.

·
Registered
338 Posts
The problem with accessing and using the existing code in the ECU without permission from Honda, or using devices not sanctioned by Honda to access or modify it, is that it leaves anyone doing so open to both criminal and civil liability including users of such a product. Also, in order to restore the software to its original state, a copy of it would have to be made and rewritten to the the ECU. Just making the copy as a backup regardless of what is done with it or charged for the ability to make the copy, is prima facia evidence of copyright infringement.
Maybe he has an angle? HP tuners does a lot with GM cars and APR performs miracles on VW / Audi stuff. Both have been around for ~20 years. If there is a truly better and legal way I’m open to it. For now, S-VCM is flawless.

·
Registered
157 Posts
That not what i'm talking about. I said use the existing code that they have to disable the VCM. Kind of like the resistor thing that's been used by DIY'er's for years to fool a o2 sensor.
Obviously the S-VCM uses the resister temperature hack to fool the VCM into thinking the vehicle is not up to the right temperature for the VCM to turn on.
The code is already written to turn off the VCM when it senses an 02 sensor problem. So it may be possibly using the signal wire from the 02 sensor to fool the VCM to think there is an p0420 or p0430 code then the VCM will not turn on. And since Honda wrote the code to turn off the VCM when it thinks this condition has happened, it will turn off safely as it is supposed to do.

It's the same thing. Someone noticed the vcm does not turn on until a certain temp is reached. So they added a cheap resistor to send the wrong voltage bypassing the VCM but also effecting the temperature gauge.

So it's the same principle the vcm will not turn on when is senses an 02 problem. So instead of using the temperature to bypass the vcm you use the 02 sensor, except the o2 sensor will be working ok.

·
Registered
662 Posts
That not what i'm talking about. I said use the existing code that they have to disable the VCM. Kind of like the resistor thing that's been used by DIY'er's for years to fool a o2 sensor.
Obviously the S-VCM uses the resister temperature hack to fool the VCM into thinking the vehicle is not up to the right temperature for the VCM to turn on.
The code is already written to turn off the VCM when it senses an 02 sensor problem. So it may be possibly using the signal wire from the 02 sensor to fool the VCM to think there is an p0420 or p0430 code then the VCM will not turn on. And since Honda wrote the code to turn off the VCM when it thinks this condition has happened, it will turn off safely as it is supposed to do.

It's the same thing. Someone noticed the vcm does not turn on until a certain temp is reached. So they added a cheap resistor to send the wrong voltage bypassing the VCM but also effecting the temperature gauge.

So it's the same principle the vcm will not turn on when is senses an 02 problem. So instead of using the temperature to bypass the vcm you use the 02 sensor, except the o2 sensor will be working ok.
I'm very relieved to hear I may have misinterpreted the direction you were headed since you mentioned the ECU software's role in VCM control. I would be interested to hear how you anticipate modifying the O2 signal to the ECU with less than $1 worth of parts other than a resistor that would lower the voltage seen by the ECU sending a "false news" signal that a lean mixture existing triggering a rich one which could waste fuel and possibly cause a rough engine and exceed emissions regulations, eventually shorten the life of the cat and possibly cause oil dilution from unburnt fuel.

But, I hope you can work your way around these and other possible issues and wish you the best of luck. Please keep us up to date on your progress.

·
Registered
157 Posts
To be honest I think people who are having problems with the VCM may need to muzzle them I believe they are mostly the older vehicles, but just because Honda got a bad batch of rings or whatever, it does not mean every car with a VCM needs to have it turned off.
Of course if you selling these things then of course your going to go on every forum telling everyone to buy one based
on a small percentage of cars that had a problem in the past and using that to scare people into buying something when their engines are running fine.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Maybe he has an angle? HP tuners does a lot with GM cars and APR performs miracles on VW / Audi stuff. Both have been around for ~20 years. If there is a truly better and legal way I’m open to it. For now, S-VCM is flawless.
I agree. But it would have to be less "flawless" than S-VCM to risk messing with the O2 signal to the ECU which would affect more operational parameters than a needle width difference in the fuel gauge's non-linear movement in the operating temperature range.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I'm very relieved to hear I may have misinterpreted the direction you were headed since you mentioned the ECU software's role in VCM control. I would be interested to hear how you anticipate modifying the O2 signal to the ECU with less than $1 worth of parts other than a resistor that would lower the voltage seen by the ECU sending a "false news" signal that a lean mixture existing triggering a rich one which could waste fuel and possibly cause a rough engine and exceed emissions regulations, eventually shorten the life of the cat and possibly cause oil dilution from unburnt fuel.

But, I hope you can work your way around these and other possible issues and wish you the best of luck. Please keep us up to date on your progress.
What are you talking about the same code that turns off the VCM because the S-VCM altrers the real temp of the vehicle. Do you think the S-VCM could work if honda did not program the code to turn off the VCM until a certain temp is reached.

You going in circle with you own logic.

·
Registered
662 Posts
What are you talking about the same code that turns off the VCM because the S-VCM altrers the real temp of the vehicle. Do you think the S-VCM could work if honda did not program the code to turn off the VCM until a certain temp is reached.

You going in circle with you own logic.
The problem is the VCM does not work to the benefit of the engine, transmission, motor mounts, spark plugs, oil consumption and vehicle owner even when the certain temp is reached. That's why it is a benefit to be permanently disabled. There are no known disadvantages to those components using existing VCM disablers that come anywhere near the benefits they enjoy when VCM is prevented from activation.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I guess your lucky Honda choose to continue that technology despite your opinion. Good luck selling them units. I guess Honda must like selling bad vehicles according to you. Maybe you have other things to add on how to make engines.

·
Registered
157 Posts
The problem is the VCM does not work to the benefit of the engine, transmission, motor mounts, spark plugs, oil consumption and vehicle owner even when the certain temp is reached. That's why it is a benefit to be permanently disabled. There are no known disadvantages to those components using existing VCM disablers that come anywhere near the benefits they enjoy when VCM is prevented from activation.
Did not answer the question. Thank you.

41 - 60 of 112 Posts