Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks,
Picked up a used 2015 Touring with 170k kms on it. Just looking into potential problems with the car.

Vcm seems like a common culprit and I am looking to drive this car to 300k kms. If my main driving is city, will vcm cause damage in the long run? Thanks.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
It will still activate when you let off the throttle or in light throttle applications. Any activation is worse than no activation, so I would still look to do it. Humble opinion, of course.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,174 Posts
My Gen 1- 185K miles- NO VCM killer.

My Gen 2- 65K miles- no VCM killer.

YMMV

·
Registered
3,500 Posts
Picked up a used 2015 Touring with 170k kms on it. Just looking into potential problems with the car.

Vcm seems like a common culprit and I am looking to drive this car to 300k kms. If my main driving is city, will vcm cause damage in the long run? Thanks.
IMO if I picked up a '15 Pilot with questionable VCM history up to 170k kms and hope for trouble-free cruise to 300K kms a VCM eliminator would be a move in the right direction. Relatively inexpensive device with little downside and a diy project.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
yes. chooe your weapon, any of them will be fine.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Yes, IMO, I would want all 6 cylinders firing 100% of the time. This will prevent oil deposits from building up on the dormant cylinders, on valves, on injectors and in the worst case, stuck piston rings.

Reactions: briantii

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
Yes definately. In stop and go driving you will have no hesitation when you gas it and no weird coasting with the VCM disabled

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Yes definately. In stop and go driving you will have no hesitation when you gas it and no weird coasting with the VCM disabled
Not arguing here, but, does it run off only 3 cyclinders while it idles? I didn't think it does- but I don't know. I thought the ECU/PCM kept it off when idliing and at low speeds, etc.
So when you 'gas it', it's hitting on all 6 anyways. Just my observation- which I understand is not the popular one here.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Hi folks,

So, that's just over 100K miles. It seems to me, (unpopular view here), that if it were a problem, it would have reared it's ugly head by now?
I'm going to pull the plugs out of my 08 (185K miles) soon, and take a look at each one and which bank of cylinders. I just hate to do it when it runs so well, and the chance of the head threads not holding the torque, etc.
Ya know, if it ain't broke, don't go opening up a can of worms by trying to fix it.
But if it looks like it's causing different look on the plugs, - then maybe I'll get a VCM killer too!

Reactions: ys1219

·
Registered
813 Posts
It will still activate when you let off the throttle or in light throttle applications. Any activation is worse than no activation, so I would still look to do it. Humble opinion, of course.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't cars stop spraying fuel when you take your foot off the gas? If there's no fuel being used when your foot is off the gas, what's the point of having VCM on?

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't cars stop spraying fuel when you take your foot off the gas? If there's no fuel being used when your foot is off the gas, what's the point of having VCM on?
Fuel gets shut off on throttle closed until engine speed drops below about 1000 RPM. Then fuel comes back on to keep the engine running at idle speed. You can watch the MPG display to see when the fuel comes back on. This function is for CO and HC emissions plus total fuel economy. It's completely separate from VCM, which turns off cylinder fuel and sequences valves closed to disable specific cylinders under specific low-load running conditions.

·
Registered
2016 EXL AWD Nav with sensing , 2008 Corolla SE
868 Posts
Even at an idle or coasting with your foot off the gas, fuel is still being metered to the cylinders based on the airflow and A/F sensor signals. I do know that on the 3rd gens, the VCM shuts 3 cyls down when coasting, not sure about idling though.

·
Registered
180 Posts
ys1219 - If this was true the engine would die every time you came to a stop.

Anyhow, the VCM is on when coasting to a stop and turns off when you actually come to a stop.

·
Registered
813 Posts
ys1219 - If this was true the engine would die every time you came to a stop.

Anyhow, the VCM is on when coasting to a stop and turns off when you actually come to a stop.
Sorry, I meant when you take your foot off and you're coasting to a stop.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Yesterday, coasting down a light hill on the highway, I put it into nuetral.

ECO light immediately went off too as the engine returned to idle!

WITH WHEEL speed, throttle body closed, little to no drag on engine, and when I put it in to Neutral, it idled and came OUT of ECO/VCM mode!

There's more to this VCM/ECO mode than some think- I think.

It's ran by the ECU and has to have several things happening to go on, or off.

Like the: wheel speed, engine rpm, throttle body valve opening, ENGINE TEMP w/in a certain range (this is how the aftermarkets eliminators are keeping it from coming on), Engine load (combination of rpm, wheel speed, throttle opening, tranny gear, etc.

Mine goes on and off constantly while driving, unless on flat, steady state conditions.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but when it's in ECO mode- pretty much means the VCM is activating?

Makes sense, when it attempts to keep the same wheel speed and going upgrade/engine load/ throttle body opening/ downshifting, etc.- it turms off and uses all 6 cylinders. When it doesn't need them, (throttle body, engine load, rpm, wheel speed, etc.) it shuts down the rear bank of cylinders.

I KNOW most all of us know all this.
I think there are some who think it's some simple system that shuts 3 down in about any condition. Not quite I argue.

I contend that in city driving, more stop and go traffic, etc. It hardly ever comes on.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts