Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1341 - 1353 of 1353 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Same as muzzler, only 1/4 of the price but you assemble. Sells them assembled for $20 more.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,343 (Edited)
I normally let my product speak for itself, but I have to correct the misinformation provided in the last couple posts.

1. The items pictured are the exact same concept as what I'm selling, however the components used are not at all sealed and will fail over time in an engine compartment environment. All of mine are fully sealed with OEM connectors at every point. The components they are using are naturally going to be cheaper, but you get what you pay for, I'm afraid. One just has to take a single look at that assembled device to know that it doesn't belong in an engine compartment, unless you wrap gobs of tape around it.

2. The items pictured are sold with only 4 resistors, not five like I sell. The resistors they provide, according to the listing are 68, 82, 100 and 120 ohm. This is of course a direct copy from my product (as my device is the original), except they do not provide the 150 ohm, which I do for people that need even more resistance (very rare). So the statement that this device prevents VCM from engaging better than the VCMuzzler is patently false. There is absolutely no way in can, when it's using the exact same resistor values that it copied from my product (less the 150 that I provide). If you were to use the VCMuzzler with the same resistor value that you're using with this device, it would perform the same. Period.

3. Assembling these items requires a special crimping tool to do it properly that nobody will have in their tool box. It is not a normal crimping tool. Even with the right hand tool, it is extremely difficult to ensure that the crimp is solid. I know this from experience, which is why all of my terminals are crimped using factory crimping machines and are guaranteed not to let loose. If a wire or resistor lead pulls out because of bad hand crimping with the wrong tool, you cannot fix it easily. You have to get the terminal back out of the connector, which even with special tools is almost impossible. I do not know how the supplier of that product crimps their connections, but I suspect they are by hand.

4. I am the originator of the device and I also pride myself in providing very good instructions and great customer service before and after the sale. I think my reputation speaks for itself. People will always undercut using cheaper parts (as is the case here) and for various other reasons, i.e. to try to gain market share.

5. My price hasn't gone up in almost 3 years, it has remained the same. The price increases stated in a previous post by someone were because of changes to the product, i.e. going from a single hardwired resistor to the interchangeable sealed five resistor design it currently is. The statement that it has doubled in price for the current offering, which is naturally more expensive than a single hardwired resistor design that it was originally, is completely false.

There are many aspects to providing a product, and the time involved in all steps of design, development, procurement, order processing, production, packaging, shipping and ongoing customer service is something that all needs to be accounted for in the price, not just the price of the components. This is also not a mass produced item, so quantities are low and prices for parts and factory assembly (not hand crimping) costs more.

Obviously, it's a free market and you can choose whichever product you wish, but the claims made that the item pictured does a better job of preventing the ECO light (VCM) is false. There is no way it can when it's a direct copy using inferior connections.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I purchased the VCM muzzler II several years ago at about 64,000 miles. My current mileage is 133,000 and the ECO light is coming on with the shuddering problem. Unfortunately I cannot find the red resistor, so I need a new product. I have been using the blue resistor the whole time it has been installed. Can you pm me so I can order a new unit THANKS!

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,346
I purchased the VCM muzzler II several years ago at about 64,000 miles. My current mileage is 133,000 and the ECO light is coming on with the shuddering problem. Unfortunately I cannot find the red resistor, so I need a new product. I have been using the blue resistor the whole time it has been installed. Can you pm me so I can order a new unit THANKS!
PM sent.

·
Registered
55 Posts
That's the main drawback that steered me away from this when there are other devices that you never have to worry about once installed.......to me its worth the extra $20 or so.

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,348
It is supplied with a ziploc bag for the spare resistors, and if you do like the instructions say and store them in the glove compartment, which I think you'd agree is the most logical place to store them, then I don't see why they would get lost. Do you also lose the key for your locking lugnuts?

In fairness, the earlier version, which only included the red resistor, came with instructions that didn't suggest this and the red resistor was provided loose by itself.

I have received feedback from others that have used other devices and found corrosion and contamination to have been a problem as well, so other options are not without their drawbacks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
That's the main drawback that steered me away from this when there are other devices that you never have to worry about once installed.......to me its worth the extra $20 or so.
What long term evidence do you have that the other product is better? I got 5 years and 70,000 miles before I had any issues!

·
Registered
55 Posts
I have received feedback from others that have used other devices and found corrosion and contamination to have been a problem as well, so other options are not without their drawbacks.
I guess time will tell, but this looked very well made and sealed up nicely.

What long term evidence do you have that the other product is better? I got 5 years and 70,000 miles before I had any issues!
None yet, just about 9k miles and all is well. The only better part about it is no hassle with changing out the resistors.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Got them today. Should we switch back to the blue resistor over the winter?

·
Registered
222 Posts
4 months, 4k miles and not even a blink of ECO light with S-VCM controller.
Got them today. Should we switch back to the blue resistor over the winter?
Get S-VCM Controller. Got fed up with changing resistors, frequent VCM light in traffic conditions, etc. It has a 1-year warranty. Since installed 5 months ago not even 1 blip of VCM light. Best product out there for this issue. Read below how it works and why it is superior and a couple $ cheaper than the fixed resistor based product here.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
At a $126 + Shipping Cad ...how is that cheaper ? or $95 USD + Shipping

1341 - 1353 of 1353 Posts