Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
881 - 900 of 1422 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
I assume you meant "remove VCMuzzler". It's kind of up to you. I've heard many stories of people either forgetting to remove it, or intentionally leaving it in and nobody has been failed on account of it as far as I know. The one thing that you should be aware of is that if you've already driven it today, then taking it out might cause Check engine light since the engine won't be stone cold when you disconnect it. CEL errors are a reason for them to fail you, I believe (we don't have smog checks around here yet). If you do decide to remove it and you get a CEL, you will have to:

1. Disconnect the battery for about 20 minutes. However, this clears all of your vehicle's self diagnostics, which they check during the smog check, so you'll have to drive it around lots under various speeds etc. so that the diagnostics can complete before you take it in.

2. drive it and shut it off a bunch of times, the code eventually will clear itself. I'm not sure how long driving or how many times you'll have to stop and restart your vehicle before the code clears itself though. It can take some time.

3. reschedule your smog check appointment.

Personally, I would just leave it in and go. It doesn't affect any of the self diagnostics they check, nor the emissions of the vehicle.
As many others have done,my VCMuzzler was left on our 09 and it passed right through our EPA "we're killing our planet" Test, here in The People's Republik of Maryland.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just another completely happy VCMuzzler customer here Verbatim, checking in to let others know if you haven't purchased and installed this thing yet, do it.

We've owned ours for a month or so and the ECO kicking in and out along with the hesitation was driving my wife crazy. Found Verbatim's ingenious device, installed it in about a minute, and no more ECO, no more hesitation. Awesome.

Thanks so much, we really appreciate it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
2013 pilot going to honda dealer for service

Do I need to remove my muzzler before I start the car in the morning or can I remove just before the dealer lot.
I live 80 miles from dealer and do not want to through a code when at the dealership.
Thanks for any help with this Dale.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #884 ·
if you don't remove it first thing in the morning while it's stone cold, you'll get an error code. So yes, you need to remove it before you start the car in the morning.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just installed mine a few days ago. My only regret is not getting one sooner. My 2012 Pilot EX-L feels born again.
Do not hesitate to use this wonderful item.

I installed it approximately 11am after parking it roughly midnight the night before, so it was in completely cooled condition. The instructions were very straightforward and easy to follow. I spent more time re-installing the pretty plastic cover than the rest of the installation, but still overall time spent was minimal. Maybe 8-10 minutes taking your time, less if you're quicker and have smaller hands. My hand got a little nicked up reaching into where you need to, so I would recommend that if you have a pair of Mechanix gloves or some similar type of cut gloves that you use them. I found this out too late.

Later on that day driving to work, the difference was swift and immediate. No dash lights, no ECO light seen at all. Very noticeable difference in areas where I felt "bogged" or sluggish in the past. It just felt like the engine was pouring out the power so much more efficiently and smoothly. If I had to describe the feeling now versus prior to using it, I'd say that it now feels like it's running cold all the time, meant in a good way. The needle on the temp gauge looks like it reads just a smidge lower than before. I haven't taken it on a long trip yet but I've already been in plenty of spots where I know the ECO light would've been on and now it's nowhere to be found. The air temp has barely been reaching into the 70's where I am so far so I'll be curious to see how it holds up in the hot summer months. But I have to tell you that so far even in just the limited amount of driving I've done with it so far, it has definitely made a believer out of me. If you're on the fence about getting this for whatever reason, don't be. Nothing but upside to doing it in my book.

Thanks Verbatim, for giving me my true Pilot back!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Installed my VCM Muzzler II this morning. It was fairly easy except the part where my big hand had a bit of trouble unhooking the sensor plug. But after getting that out, it was easy to snap in the Muzzler and hook everything back up again.

I was actually quite amazed at the difference in driving. It feels like the Pilot has another 30-40 extra horses under the hood. The power is always there; always ready.

This is truly a remarkable little fix and well worth the cost.

Highly recommended and thanks to Verbatim for inventing this little wonder and selling it!

·
Registered
129 Posts
2016 - any indication of VCM activity?

So far in our 2016 EX-L I have been unable to detect the VCM engaging at all. They obviously did away with any sort of dashboard light to indicate its operation, and have probably tweaked things so the vibration is less noticeable.

That said I am firmly in the camp that believes VCM and cylinder deactivation in general is garbage technology that can't possibly be anything but detrimental to an engine. Maybe the motor is tough enough to take the abuse, maybe they've put enough lipstick on the pig that you won't notice its operation enough to complain about it. It's still crap. I have a VCMuzzler on order and plan to install it in my brand new 2016.

I guess I just have to trust that the VCMuzzler is working, or is there some way to know when VCM is engaged on the 2016?

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #888 ·
So far in our 2016 EX-L I have been unable to detect the VCM engaging at all. They obviously did away with any sort of dashboard light to indicate its operation, and have probably tweaked things so the vibration is less noticeable.

That said I am firmly in the camp that believes VCM and cylinder deactivation in general is garbage technology that can't possibly be anything but detrimental to an engine. Maybe the motor is tough enough to take the abuse, maybe they've put enough lipstick on the pig that you won't notice its operation enough to complain about it. It's still crap. I have a VCMuzzler on order and plan to install it in my brand new 2016.

I guess I just have to trust that the VCMuzzler is working, or is there some way to know when VCM is engaged on the 2016?
I actually thought the 2016's had an ECO light, but maybe that's just on some models. Without an ECO light, the best way to determine if VCM is off is to monitor the Engine Coolant Temperature. This can be done relatively easily and cheaply with an OBD tool. There are a variety of them out there that plug into your OBD port and transmit to an app on your smartphone. They're actually handy to have for a number of reasons, including troubleshooting codes if they come up. You wouldn't need to use it all the time, just maybe do spot checks every once in a while to make sure that the ECT reading isn't at or above 167 degrees F, which is the temperature that VCM activates in every Honda and Acura vehicle equipped with VCM.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I actually thought the 2016's had an ECO light, but maybe that's just on some models.
AFAIK all we have on the 2016 is the Econ button, which does have a green indicator light, but I'm fairly certain that system has nothing to do with VCM. It dulls throttle response and adjusts AC and cruise control operation all in order to save a little fuel.

Without an ECO light, the best way to determine if VCM is off is to monitor the Engine Coolant Temperature. This can be done relatively easily and cheaply with an OBD tool. There are a variety of them out there that plug into your OBD port and transmit to an app on your smartphone. They're actually handy to have for a number of reasons, including troubleshooting codes if they come up. You wouldn't need to use it all the time, just maybe do spot checks every once in a while to make sure that the ECT reading isn't at or above 167 degrees F, which is the temperature that VCM activates in every Honda and Acura vehicle equipped with VCM.
That's an interesting idea. I have a reader that I got for my '03 Forester, which is OBD II, not sure if the Pilot is also OBD II. I don't think it's fancy enough to transmit to the phone, though.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #890 ·
AFAIK all we have on the 2016 is the Econ button, which does have a green indicator light, but I'm fairly certain that system has nothing to do with VCM. It dulls throttle response and adjusts AC and cruise control operation all in order to save a little fuel.
You're absolutely right about that, the Econ system has nothing to do with VCM, VCM is always active whether in Econ mode or not.

That's an interesting idea. I have a reader that I got for my '03 Forester, which is OBD II, not sure if the Pilot is also OBD II. I don't think it's fancy enough to transmit to the phone, though.
Yes, the Pilot is OBD II. All vehicles since 1996 I believe.

·
Registered
10 Posts
You're absolutely right about that, the Econ system has nothing to do with VCM, VCM is always active whether in Econ mode or not.

Yes, the Pilot is OBD II. All vehicles since 1996 I believe.

Yep, the Pilot has OBD II port. I got a reader and have it plugged in. Doesn't mean you can read every thing available off the computer, you may need a more expensive reader and software to go with it.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #893 ·
Curious where that number comes from. Is it documented somewhere?
Not documented. Tested myself and by many others on many different models and years since my original testing.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #894 ·
Yep, the Pilot has OBD II port. I got a reader and have it plugged in. Doesn't mean you can read every thing available off the computer, you may need a more expensive reader and software to go with it.
That's right, Honda keeps some of the proprietary stuff for their HDS that even the most expensive non-honda readers won't be able to get. A lot of manufacturers do this, but Honda is notoriously stingy in that regard.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,305 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Does anyone with a newer pilot under warranty just roll the dice and leave the muzzler in place for routine service at the dealership ?
I have a hard time believing that their "lube tech" would spot it.

Or, has anyone heard of dealerships actively looking for muzzlers on vehicles ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Does anyone with a newer pilot under warranty just roll the dice and leave the muzzler in place for routine service at the dealership ?
I have a hard time believing that their "lube tech" would spot it.

Or, has anyone heard of dealerships actively looking for muzzlers on vehicles ?
Have had mine on for over a year on a 2015 EXL. I have been in for 2 oil changes without removing it and no problems. If they need to do anything where they will diagnose a problem you should probably remove it.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #898 ·
From my experience, I've seen:

1. Dealership recommending one
2. Dealership recognizing one on a customer's vehicle and telling them they think it's a good idea although they can't officially endorse it.\
3. Many stories of it not being noticed during service.
4. service tech noticed it, didn't know what it was and removed it without telling the customer. Luckily they still had it when he went back to get it two days later when he noticed it was gone.
5. many smog checks where inspectors never noticed it and passed the vehicle.
6. Dealership purchasing some.

I've never heard of a dealership seeing one and threatening to void warranty or anything like that.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Update:

Went on a 3300KM trip. Got 11.4L/100km. Gas tank when filled up showed 740KM to the tank. NO hesitation, no CEL, no ECO lights.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Today, I was idling for a few minutes at a drive thru when I saw the temp gauge rise up and go to the normal, non-Muzzler mark. It was 80 out and humid since it had rained earlier. I have the default blue resistor installed. I left and drove to the store next door and the temp gauge stayed there. No ECO light or VCM activation, though. Came back 30 min later after shopping and the temp gauge returned to the lower mark again with no ECO light, like usual.

Perhaps the extended idling I'm warmer weather causes the temp gauge to creep up. Any harm from this? Would switching to the red resistor for summer be a fix?

881 - 900 of 1422 Posts