Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently hit 100K miles on my 2011 Pilot and got the A4 maintenance reminder, so I changed my timing belt this past weekend, along with pulleys, timing belt tensioner, new water pump, new passenger side engine mount, new coolant of course, new power steering fluid, and also new spark plugs. I've seen some pictures of 100K mile spark plugs that looked pretty horrible, considering the oil issues that VCM causes, however to my surprise my plugs didn't look too bad.

These plugs are positioned the same way they were in the engine, looking at the engine bay from standing in front of the car. Cylinders 1, 2, and 3 in the back have dark threads but that's about it, maybe a bit more oil buildup on 1-4 than the rest but not much. The insulators on all the plugs look surprisingly good to me - most of the photos I've seen show signs of moderate oil fouling, but these look OK to me.

I had a PCM update shortly after I bought my car, which allegedly addressed some of the early VCM issues. I wonder if this has anything to do with it, or if it's more to do with my driving style. I frequently drive short trips with lots of stop and go traffic (resulting in lousy MPG) where VCM never really disables cylinders for any long period. It's constantly cycling.

My oil consumption has been all over the place too; in the 100k+ miles I've owned the car I've seen the car a quart low after 5000 miles, then other times the level hasn't dropped at all. There doesn't seem to be any pattern. I'm not sure if it's related to the condition of the plugs or any possible oil consumption concerns, but I have mostly used synthetic Pennzoil Platinum 5w-30 since I bought it new, except for two oil changes done by the dealer where they the Honda 5w-20 synthetic blend, and three or four times I used Mobil 1 5w-30 and Castrol Edge 5w-30.

I did have to replace the front and passenger side engine mounts. The active front mount wasn't too bad but I had the new one so I installed it. The passenger side mount was torn, with most of the rubber ripped. I noticed this when I saw the fluid from inside leaking out a while ago. Replacing this solved the harsh downshift and the jerking/clunking when shifting between park-drive-reverse. Because of how trashed these mounts were, I went ahead and disabled VCM using a harness I made myself.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts