Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2016 Pilot EX AWD.
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read many threads about disabling the VCM. Does doing that improve gas mileage?

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
I believe that the consensus is that you loose 1 mpg. For me, I'm more intrested in drive train longevity.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The VCM system’s purpose is to deactivate cylinders when they are not necessary, in order to save fuel. Turning it off should increase fuel consumption, because you are always using all six cylinders. The benefits, as I understand it, is less vibration and stress, because running all six cylinders is more balanced. The Pilots have active control engine mounts to deal with the VCM imposed imbalances, but many prefer to just disable it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2016 Pilot EX AWD.
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I believe that the consensus is that you loose 1 mpg. For me, I'm more intrested in drive train longevity.
I have 93k on mine. Has the damage been done and disabling the VCM at this point will be of minimal value on extending drive train life?

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
I have 93k on mine. Has the damage been done and disabling the VCM at this point will be of minimal value on extending drive train life?
I was being plagued with P0420 and P0430 emission codes on my high milage Crosstour. S-VCM was installed at around 220k miles. It ended my troubles. The vehicle is at 257k now.
No, it's not to late.

·
Registered
11,501 Posts
I will say that since 3rd gen Pilots are forced to run on the back 3 cylinders, I believe that the importance is more critical for internal components than with previous year models.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts