Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Thanks for the explanations but I have to tell ya, and maybe its smoke and mirrors, but my Pilot runs like a dream. Smooth as silk and since I'm not able to do this myself, I'll just live with it. I mean, it's not exactly like I can roll into the dealership and ask them to install this, right? Again, thanks. I have a better understanding of the VCM now
Honda has been refining the VCM system for over 10 years by the time the 3rd gen Pilot came around, I would expect nothing less. Honestly, the bulk of "major" VCM related issues seem to have been sorted out by 2012, the gen 2.5 refresh. Now a lot of how they have done that is through torque converter lockups (on the early 3rd gens it was more frequent, hard on fluid so make sure you are changing the fluid more frequently) and high tech engine mounts that wear out and leak over time.

No concerns here if you wait until you start getting vibrations from the system, I haven't heard of a gen 3 having ring issues due to VCM like the early gen 2s.

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
8,933 Posts
Thanks for the explanations but I have to tell ya, and maybe its smoke and mirrors, but my Pilot runs like a dream. Smooth as silk and since I'm not able to do this myself, I'll just live with it. I mean, it's not exactly like I can roll into the dealership and ask them to install this, right? Again, thanks. I have a better understanding of the VCM now
Not trying to sell you. But if you would like to really know what's going on under your hood. Go start your Pilot and unplug the coil wires to you back 3 cylinders and see how your engine runs. Then rev it up to 2000 rpms. You will get an idea of what's really happening to your engine.

·
Registered
19 Posts
There was a TSB for a torque converter clutch lock issue on 2016-2017 6-speeds Pilots. The fix was 3 drain and fills of the ATF and software update. A 2018 model would have rolled off the line with software that takes care of this issue. Just know that the forces/vibration that cause the torque converter clutch lock issue still rages in your drive train. Honda has done a great job masking off these vibrations with some high tech engine mounts, so when your V6 begins running on 3 cylinders, you dont feel it. I never got the software update on my 2017 Pilot. I drain and filled the ATF many times. But when I disabled the VCM, the vibrations ended, and my torque converter clutch lock problem was gone. In my case, this device is a must have or a trip to the dealership is needed.
A VCM disabling device will not cause an overheating issue or any engine problem that I am aware of. The only negative I've experienced with the device is that it makes diagnosing an overheating problem more difficult. If you want to run live data to see if your cooling fans are coming on and going off at the right temperature, it is necessary to disconnect the device 1st. This must be done when the vehicle has cooled below 165°F or you can trigger a CEL. Even then the CEL will resolve itself eventually. If you do not DIY, your mechanic needs to know about the device, especially if he is trying to solve an overheating issue.
I definitely DIY, I'd have no problem rebuilding the engine myself if it needed it.

I just come from the LS world where something like this could be tuned out, without having to play games with the ECM. My main concern is that the ECM has an accurate enough read back to trigger the cooling fans correctly.

I've also been looking for a copy of the factory service manual for the 2018 Pilot so I could read through all the nitty gritty myself, but it seems Honda has gone to an all subscriptions based system.

This is my first Honda, prior to this I've had American cars or Toyotas.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I definitely DIY, I'd have no problem rebuilding the engine myself if it needed it.

I just come from the LS world where something like this could be tuned out, without having to play games with the ECM. My main concern is that the ECM has an accurate enough read back to trigger the cooling fans correctly.

I've also been looking for a copy of the factory service manual for the 2018 Pilot so I could read through all the nitty gritty myself, but it seems Honda has gone to an all subscriptions based system.

This is my first Honda, prior to this I've had American cars or Toyotas.
The ECT1 is one of multiple coolant temperature sensors. The cooling fans are unaffected in operation by a VCM disabler. The only risk with the VCMuzzler is that in an overtemp situation the gauge will be reading a percentage lower than actual. S-VCM and others have corrected that so as soon as they detect an overtemp they "remove" themselves from the circuit and the gauge reads actual temps.

If you prefer, call Hondata and get a tuner. I believe the Kpro will let you disable VCM.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
19 Posts
The ECT1 is one of multiple coolant temperature sensors. The cooling fans are unaffected in operation by a VCM disabler. The only risk with the VCMuzzler is that in an overtemp situation the gauge will be reading a percentage lower than actual. S-VCM and others have corrected that so as soon as they detect an overtemp they "remove" themselves from the circuit and the gauge reads actual temps.

If you prefer, call Hondata and get a tuner. I believe the Kpro will let you disable VCM.
Based on what I see on their website, Hondata doesn't support the Pilot.

I've been looking at the VCM Tuner websites and I think I'll probably buy a VCM Tuner II, it seems like the most complete solution on the market.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Based on what I see on their website, Hondata doesn't support the Pilot.

I've been looking at the VCM Tuner websites and I think I'll probably buy a VCM Tuner II, it seems like the most complete solution on the market.
Good for you for doing your homework on this. I can't remember for sure but I thought the member who swapped a J37 into his Pilot said the 2nd gen Pilot was supported but not listed on their website. If the 3rd gen Ridgeline is supported on their site I'd say the Pilot should be as well.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
1,983 Posts
I mean, it's not exactly like I can roll into the dealership and ask them to install this, right?
It's actually REEALLY simple! There are several good Youtubes about installing it too.
Or, I'm sure an independent shop would be happy to do it for $50 or less?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Good for you for doing your homework on this. I can't remember for sure but I thought the member who swapped a J37 into his Pilot said the 2nd gen Pilot was supported but not listed on their website. If the 3rd gen Ridgeline is supported on their site I'd say the Pilot should be as well.
Nah, Hondata is on the record as saying they have no plans to support the Ridgeline even, they've stated it publicly on their forum. Not enough enthusiast support for the Pilot and Ridgeline.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
1,983 Posts
Nah, Hondata is on the record as saying they have no plans to support the Ridgeline even, they've stated it publicly on their forum. Not enough enthusiast support for the Pilot and Ridgeline.
What?
I was going to bore and stroke mine. Have the heads ported and polished, forged rods, shaved head gasket, and radical cams. I was gong to twin turbo it too. Make that :pilot lift off!

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Man I'd love a factory turbo'd Pilot. Something like the 3.5 Ecoboost Ford put in the Flex and their trucks. AWD Pilot would be a blast with almost 400HP Lol
Check out the new MDX... it's slated to get a turbo J35.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Man I'd love a factory turbo'd Pilot. Something like the 3.5 Ecoboost Ford put in the Flex and their trucks. AWD Pilot would be a blast with almost 400HP Lol
It would be a lot of work, but it's doable. Easiest path is probably swapping heads (to eliminate VCM) with a J35Y2 Accord engine, also swapping computers. Ktuner supports the J35Y2 Accord computers. DIY turbo kit with a Borg S300, there's plenty of info on the web on how to do a DIY turbo kit and the engine bay is big enough to fit it without too much drama. No idea how much HP these 6spd and xfer cases can support.

·
Registered
2021 EX-L
20 Posts
It would be a lot of work, but it's doable. Easiest path is probably swapping heads (to eliminate VCM) with a J35Y2 Accord engine, also swapping computers. Ktuner supports the J35Y2 Accord computers. DIY turbo kit with a Borg S300, there's plenty of info on the web on how to do a DIY turbo kit and the engine bay is big enough to fit it without too much drama. No idea how much HP these 6spd and xfer cases can support.
I might have attempted that kind of swap in my younger years. But these days my wife would kill me if I even thought of messing with her car lol.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
I might have attempted that kind of swap in my younger years. But these days my wife would kill me if I even thought of messing with her car lol.
Mine didn't even want me to install retrofitted headlights and told me she didn't like them until she had to drive at night.

Since ours is black I plan on having the wheels powdercoated black at some point, I'll probably just surprise her with it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Yeah I'm in the same boat as you. 10 years ago I would be up to hot-rodding anything with wheels. Now I look at the Pilot and even if I needed to rebuild the engine, I'd probably just leave it stock. No point in hot-rodding the grocery getter, I have other toys for that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
How many 3rd Gen Pilots have 100k+ miles? Probably why you don't see many VCM issues reported on 3rd Gen...yet. Factor the pandemic in and you basically lose a year of mileage for most people.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Yeah I'm in the same boat as you. 10 years ago I would be up to hot-rodding anything with wheels. Now I look at the Pilot and even if I needed to rebuild the engine, I'd probably just leave it stock. No point in hot-rodding the grocery getter, I have other toys for that.
I've seen youtube videos where teens messed up their engines putting on aftermarket parts/mods. The computers in the new cars were fighting/compensating for the mods that would work on a 30 year old car, but not something modern.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I've seen youtube videos where teens messed up their engines putting on aftermarket parts/mods. The computers in the new cars were fighting/compensating for the mods that would work on a 30 year old car, but not something modern.
Most vehicles nowadays can be modified, you have to re-calibrate the ECU to accomodate those modifications. Whether or not the 3rd gen Pilot ECU could be calibrated seems to be up in the air, mostly due to lack of demand... most Pilot owners, especially 3rd gen ones, aren't enthusiasts, so there's not a large enough market to garner attention. In the rest of the Honda world ECU re-calibration is common.

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Most vehicles nowadays can be modified, you have to re-calibrate the ECU to accomodate those modifications. Whether or not the 3rd gen Pilot ECU could be calibrated seems to be up in the air, mostly due to lack of demand... most Pilot owners, especially 3rd gen ones, aren't enthusiasts, so there's not a large enough market to garner attention. In the rest of the Honda world ECU re-calibration is common.
I was hopeful that the Ridgeline world would have enough people interested in doing mods since pickup owners are generally more into mods than 3 row crossover owners, but it appears that is not that case. Unlike the 1st gen RL/ 2nd gen Pilot that used different engines, the 2nd gen RL/ 3rd gen Pilot use the same engine.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts