Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so I've scoured the site to discover that Memorex CD-RWs can be used in the RES and this has worked for me for several months.

Now, all of a sudden it seems, my VCDs will not play. I'm talking about repeated attempts over several days and nothing will play. I've tried VCDs that worked before and newly burned VCDs and nothing appears to be working.

I've read on this forum and others that occasionally the VCDs will not play on the first attempt but generally will on subsequent attempts. What's not clear to me is under what circumstances the VCDs stop working.

So I have several questions to those of you who are using VCDs successfully (or unsuccessfully):

1. Does anybody understand the specific conditions that cause the VCD not to play?

2. For those who have experienced the temporary VCD-non-playing condition, what's the most number of tries it has taken you before the VCD does play? Is there anything that you do differently that you feel helps the VCD to play correctly?

3. Has anyone experienced the situation where the RES stops playing VCDs permanently after initial success at playing them?

4. Is anyone having absolutely NO probems playing VCDs? If so, what are you using for media?

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I had (have) the same problem

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/showthread.php?threadid=151&perpage=15&pagenumber=2

Check out the thread above...I had this same problem last year, seemed to happen right around the time winter temps moved in so I thought it may have been related to the cold. But I've now tried it in the warmer weather and the RES still won't play any VCD's , they are the same ones that work fine on the home players and used to work on the RES last summer/fall.

Don't know what the problem is. Maybe the RES was just barley picking up the data on the disk when the Pilot was new and as we have used it more its gotten just dusty enogh inside to effect the laser seeing the data or maybe as we have driven more the laser has moved just enough that it can't pick up the vcd but it can still pick up the DVD. I just don't know. I have given up on VCD's and now use just DVD-Rs and they have always worked fine (name brand ones have been more reliable though).

Any one else have any ideas.

·
Registered
45 Posts
majorfracas said:
Maybe I'll just have to bite the bullet and get a DVD writer...
That may be the way to go. They have come way down in price lately-have seen some under 200 bucks and that was for the dual format drives so your covered if the +R or -R format becomes dominant.

By the way I have only heard of the -R working in the RES, -RW won't work and I don't think the +R or +RW will work.

As far as -R disc brands go, I have had good results with Fuji, Maxell and oddly enough the Comp USA brand (once in a while they have 10 packs for 10 bucks and they work great in all our players). Have had bad luck with Memorex and Khypermedia.

Let us know if you ever get the VCD's to work.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I never got mine to play VCD. It will play DVD-r and DVD-RW. I bought some cheap LEDA brand and they work fine.

·
Registered
132 Posts
play VCD

Hi,

I have some experience with playing VCD on the RES would like to share with you.
I got some hint from a member in this forum that Hi-Val CD-RW will work with the RES.
I brought some Hi-Val CDRW but it was not working for me. So I end up giving up on the VCD.
After a few months (summer time), I accidentaly saw the VCD I burned last winter
so I tried it again with the RES and this time it plays OK!!
Looks like the ambient temperature has big effect on whether the RES can read the CDRW. In the summer time, iRES bearly make it.

Summary of what I found:
1. RES can not read CD-R.
2. RES can only read the Hi-VAL CDRW I VCD in the summer when warmer ambient temperature is higher.
(VCD was created by Nero-5 in PBC 2.0 format.
3. RES has no problem reading the factory VCD (non-R version).
4. When RES can read from the disc, it has no problem whether it is Ver2.0 or Ver1.x , with or without PBC.

I am still disappointed that Honda is using such a cheap single laser DVD in their products.

-Tat

1 - 6 of 6 Posts