Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Installed the valvomax oil change valve. I usually use fumoto in my cars, but due to the additional ground clearance and the lever, i wanted something different. Needed a 15/16 socket to tighten it. A wrench wouldn't fit. I'll update ease of use on my next oil change.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I had the Stahlbus valve in my 06. Sadly it was totaled before I got a chance to use it. On my old 99 Civic I had the Fram version. Loved it. Nice to hook the hose up and not have to chase the oil flow around with a pan.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
I'm glad this works and works well for you. It easily stores several oil changes/ tranny fluid, rear end, transfer case, etc.
I'm sure that product will work and work well, but it's about the storage for me until I can take it to a local/close recycle center.
I understand this is about the drain plug, whick could easily be drained into this pan I guess.

My oil drain pan is a all in one to I take it to the recycler or the auto parts for disposal, holds up to 15Gqts.
I never spill using this. none.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Installed the valvomax oil change valve. I usually use fumoto in my cars, but due to the additional ground clearance and the lever, i wanted something different. Needed a 15/16 socket to tighten it. A wrench wouldn't fit. I'll update ease of use on my next oil change. View attachment 144998 View attachment 144999 View attachment 145000
I take it that dinky cap isn't what holds the oil in. Do you need the plastic tube to drain it? What if you misplace it or can something else open the valve?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Cap is just a protective cover. It's a spring loaded valve that replaces the drain bolt. Metal end of the tube screws on and has a protrusion to open the valve. In pinch you could probably actuate the valve with a small screwdriver or something similar.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Correct oseto, the included hose screws in and releases the oil. It can also be unscrewed like a normal drain valve if needed. I've used the same funnel and oil filter wrenches for 20yrs. Dont think I'll loose the hose which will be in the same box in the same location.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I used to use fumoto’s. I no longer do. Nothing beats a good ol drain plug.
Hmm what is your reason? Ive had fumoto valves on my last 4 cars with no issues.

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I do some soft roading on occasion and am concerned about brush catching the fumoto tab. I've used fumoto on my other cars with no problems, but they weren't going off road.

·
Registered
232 Posts
I use the stahlbus valve on my 2016. Man does it make draining the oil much easier. No mess.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
OK, I have to admit, I do take a rag with my under the vehicle, and I do wipe some oil have my fingers when I change the oil. Not too bad though, no other messes.

I may have to look into one of these contraptions?

·
Registered
385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's why I got it. I wear gloves but somehow oil manages to run down my arm and onto my driveway when removing the plug. For some reason,I never have a problem with the oil filter

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
I like it. I got the Fumotos on the Pilot and Travers but would certainly look at other options as well. One thing is for sure, I am a big supporter of any of these devices that makes the oil change mess free (at least until you get to the filter).

·
Registered
2019 EXL AWD
165 Posts
Hmm what is your reason? Ive had fumoto valves on my last 4 cars with no issues.
No issues. I had one for 7 years. I would rather drain the oil quicker and plus I don’t have to worry about a lever coming loose.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Do the manufacturers of these things pay for a new engine if the spring sticks and you grenade the engine due to no oil? Honestly wondering, because these can't be perfect or car manufacturers would be using them to save time on oil changes.

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
That's why I got it. I wear gloves but somehow oil manages to run down my arm and onto my driveway when removing the plug. For some reason,I never have a problem with the oil filter
For other's weighing this out ... I just use a 3" extension on the socket to remove the drain plug and viola, no oil on the hands or down the arm.

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
For other's weighing this out ... I just use a 3" extension on the socket to remove the drain plug and viola, no oil on the hands or down the arm.
Why aren't I smart enough to do that, oh wait, I have, but often forget to LOL?
Jim, can I use this? LOL

What little gets on my now gloved hand isn't much.
Ya still got to get under there.
There's probably a gadget/system to open/close the drain plug without having to get under there to do it?
I don't mind- it's old hat for me.

But, Mr. Pumpkin, that you for showing us good available products out there!

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
Why aren't I smart enough to do that, oh wait, I have, but often forget to LOL?
Jim, can I use this? LOL

What little gets on my now gloved hand isn't much.
Ya still got to get under there.
There's probably a gadget/system to open/close the drain plug without having to get under there to do it?
I don't mind- it's old hat for me.

But, Mr. Pumpkin, that you for showing us good available products out there!
Weren't you paying attention? tsk tsk. I think I posted this a while ago ... to change oil and atf without getting under your car just get one of these. Suck it out from top, flip a switch, pump it out into recycle container, flip switch again, pump new stuff into car. No fuss, no muss, no gloves, no stripped threads, no wrenches, no greasy elbows, no oil stains on the floor, no aching back, no need to diet, more flavor, more fun.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts