Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

Valvoline MaxLife ATF Concern

2383 Views 30 Replies 10 Participants Last post by  plplplpl
Anyone else notice that Valvoline MaxLife ATF doesn’t have the trade mark strong smell it used to have? Sure hope it is as good as its always been.
Reactions: 20Piloteer07
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

· Super Moderator
5,237 Posts
From the 3 containers purchased from Walmart a few years ago they did have a distinctive smell. IIRC a somewhat sweet liquorish scent. Perhaps contacting Valvoline for any updated product information would solve the mystery.

· Registered
5,831 Posts
I would imagine that would be a hot topic on BITOG if the formulation changed...

· Registered
83 Posts
I’m new to Valvoline Maxlife ATF. And can’t comment about the smell from the past. However I did noticed that the smell is very different compared to Honda Z1 / DW1 fluid. Whatever that Maxlife ATF fluid has in it has been super beneficial on my 07 150k Pilot the tranny runs much better now. Back to your question maybe Valvoline upgraded the formula a while ago or your sense of smell is not the same anymore.

· Registered
5,831 Posts
I still use a light coat of it as a topping on my vanilla ice cream, and I haven't noticed any change in the flavor or smell.
Does the label specify which brands of ice cream it is compatible with? Are we talking OEM only or can you go gas station aftermarket brand? With some friction modifier sprinkles on top?

· Registered
13,321 Posts
@Nail Grease If you excessively sniff your automotive fluids, you're bound to blow out your olfactory nerve endings over time and fry other cerebral functions.

Just say no to sniffing.

Egg yolk Food Egg white Ingredient Fried egg

· Registered
10,603 Posts
@Nail Grease If you excessively sniff your automotive fluids, you're bound to blow out your olfactory nerve endings over time and fry other cerebral functions.

Just say no to sniffing.
But, consider all the money he's saved by not having paid dealer rates to have those automotive fluids sniffed excessively by a service technician.

· Registered
Home of the 306k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
15,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Just say no to sniffing.

View attachment 160661
Just using one of the 5 senses that God gave me to be able to say, "Hey, something's different."
¯\(ツ)

· Registered
Home of the 306k 2012 V6 Honda Crosstour
15,006 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I believe if you read my comment carefully you have your answer.

· Registered
2004 Pilot EX-L
607 Posts
Bringing up this old thread because I just opened 2 brand new jugs of Maxlife ATF and noticed that they have absolutely no smell at all. I had a partial new jug from 2 years ago sitting on the shelf, so I opened it and it made my entire garage smell instantly. I wonder if there really has been a formula change in the past year or two?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts