Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2013 Honda Pilot EX-L, 4WD, VCMuzzler II
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

We have a 2013 Honda Pilot EXL, 4WD, 90k miles.

The CEL came on last week along w/ the “slippery road” (sorry—I can’t remember the official term) and a sporadic VTM-4 light. Went to the local Autozone to get the error codes.It had2 codes: 1) a misfire on valve 2, and 2) P0847,transmission fluid pressure switch B (3rd clutch) circuit low.

The misfire should be easy (I’m assuming either a spark plug or coil pack).Does anyone know how Honda numbers the valves on the Pilot? I’ve searched high and low, but I haven’t found any documentation.

Is the transmission fluid pressure switch something a backyard mechanic can do? If so, anybody have doc’s on where it’s located?

This is our first Honda, and I’m new to all of it. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Transmission pressure switches are common failure items. Make sure to get a Honda OEM pressure switch. They are $50-$60 at the dealer. The hardest part is making sure you identify which one you need to replace.

On the Cylinder misfire.... you can do a spark plug change... its due. HOWEVER - if you have not disabled your VCM - you might want to take it to the dealer FIRST, and see if it needs new piston rings. Are you familiar with the class action lawsuit? Your 2013 might or might not be covered by the lawsuit and warranty extension. The dealer can tell you. https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/web/A13-081.pdf

·
Registered
483 Posts
Dealer will actually charge about $90 for part itself ($200+ to install). $50-60 is the cost of the part online from one of OEM parts vendors.

Might also want to order new gasket:

The 3rd clutch switch is located in the lower part of transmission (The link above shows where it goes, part 12) and you should be able to find videos about its replacement on youtube. I had to replace mine recently. You need to take out a few clips on the bottom to remove a plastic splash shield so you have access to the switch. Disconnect the wire from it.
Now, that switch is really snug in the body with zero space to fit or turn a wrench. The trick is a 22mm (7/8") deep socket and about 2 feet worth of extensions. Either turn wheels all way to the left or jack the car and remove driver wheel. Pushing the wheel splash shield a bit out of the way, you should be looking directly at the switch.With socket on long extension, it should be real easy to get to.

The replacement switch should be torqued 14 ft/lbs.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Transmission pressure switches are common failure items. Make sure to get a Honda OEM pressure switch. They are $50-$60 at the dealer. The hardest part is making sure you identify which one you need to replace.

On the Cylinder misfire.... you can do a spark plug change... its due. HOWEVER - if you have not disabled your VCM - you might want to take it to the dealer FIRST, and see if it needs new piston rings. Are you familiar with the class action lawsuit? Your 2013 might or might not be covered by the lawsuit and warranty extension. The dealer can tell you. https://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs/web/A13-081.pdf
Thanks for the info. I was able to get both jobs taken care of today. It was fairly painless. The pressure switch link was very helpful. Thanks again!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dealer will actually charge about $90 for part itself ($200+ to install). $50-60 is the cost of the part online from one of OEM parts vendors.

Might also want to order new gasket:

The 3rd clutch switch is located in the lower part of transmission (The link above shows where it goes, part 12) and you should be able to find videos about its replacement on youtube. I had to replace mine recently. You need to take out a few clips on the bottom to remove a plastic splash shield so you have access to the switch. Disconnect the wire from it.
Now, that switch is really snug in the body with zero space to fit or turn a wrench. The trick is a 22mm (7/8") deep socket and about 2 feet worth of extensions. Either turn wheels all way to the left or jack the car and remove driver wheel. Pushing the wheel splash shield a bit out of the way, you should be looking directly at the switch.With socket on long extension, it should be real easy to get to.

The replacement switch should be torqued 14 ft/lbs.
I got the pressure switch fixed today. It took longer to get access to the switch than it did to change it. I appreciate the help. Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Working on same issue here. Code reader gave me error code: p0847 Pe. Just curious if once I replace the switch, will the check engine light automatically turn off?

·
Registered
603 Posts
Working on same issue here. Code reader gave me error code: p0847 Pe. Just curious if once I replace the switch, will the check engine light automatically turn off?
I am pretty sure that's exactly what happened with mine...
If not, many times you can reset a code by disconnecting the battery terminal for a short time, but I don't believe that was needed on mine, and I am not sure if that will reset PCM based codes.

Either way - I don't have anything other than a $20 bluetooth code reader, and mine either went out on its own, was reset by my code reader and torque app, or battery trick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I am pretty sure that's exactly what happened with mine...
If not, many times you can reset a code by disconnecting the battery terminal for a short time, but I don't believe that was needed on mine, and I am not sure if that will reset PCM based codes.
Great. Thank you. I'll post here if it automatically resets or not after I get it switched out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I disconnected the battery, and that did the trick for me. It also caused another issue. Our radio/audio/entertainment system got locked out. I’m at least on our Pilot, it’s a theft deterrent. The manual said after disconnecting the battery I should turn the key to “on” and then turn the power on the audio system before starting the vehicle the first time. I didn’t know about that. The audio system kept asking for a 5-digit code to unlock the system before it would work. I didn’t have this code (2nd owner of the vehicle). I called the local Honda place, and the guy walked me through how to get my S/N for the system, and then used that number to give me my code. Anyways, the audio is working again, and the trouble light never came back on. Good luck!

·
Registered
603 Posts
Audio code is often on the inside of the glove box on a sticker

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, we looked there, but it wasn’t there. Once the Honda guy gave it to me, I wrote it in a couple of places in the manual and saved it on my phone. We won’t lose it again!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yeah, we looked there, but it wasn’t there. Once the Honda guy gave it to me, I wrote it in a couple of places in the manual and saved it on my phone. We won’t lose it again!
I know this sounds crazy but for future reference just hold the Power button to your audio system for a minute or two and it should unlock. I saw it on a YouTube video when mine was locked after replacing my oil pressure switch. Couldn't believe it worked!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Your owner's manual details how to get the entertainment stack to reset after a battery change or other power disconnect. So long as the entertainment stack controller and the PCM for the car match up, this will work. If either has been changed, you'll need to have the unlock code from Honda. Note that the owner's manual instruction says key must be on, when in fact the engine must be running for the procedure to work. No need to ask how I know that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had to disconnect the battery to get the check engine light to turn off. And... low and behold the radio now needs a code to turn on the radio. I will try the "hold your power button for a minute or two" to get it to come on.

I also had to replace some of the push nuts from plastic splash guard. NAPA part # BK 6652886 in case anyone else needs them.

And the Napa Part # for the sensor is ATP 15751 - They Cross reference theirs to- 2-3 Shift Solenoid OE Number 28610-R97-013 (original honda OEM which is now OEM: 28610-R36-004)
It comes with a crush washer too.

Took less then an hour to knock this out thanks to this thread.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
841 Posts
I had to disconnect the battery to get the check engine light to turn off. And... low and behold the radio now needs a code to turn on the radio. I will try the "hold your power button for a minute or two" to get it to come on.

I also had to replace some of the push nuts from plastic splash guard. NAPA part # BK 6652886 in case anyone else needs them.

And the Napa Part # for the sensor is ATP 15751 - They Cross reference theirs to- 2-3 Shift Solenoid OE Number 28610-R97-013 (original honda OEM which is now OEM: 28610-R36-004)
It comes with a crush washer too.

Took less then an hour to knock this out thanks to this thread.
you’re gonna actually need the radio code to get it to work. It should be in your glove box. Otherwise you’ll need to go online and get it using your VIN.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Or follow the direction in your Owner's Manual for resetting the entertainment stack. You'll only need a specific code if the components don't match the PCM.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I know this sounds crazy but for future reference just hold the Power button to your audio system for a minute or two and it should unlock. I saw it on a YouTube video when mine was locked after replacing my oil pressure switch. Couldn't believe it worked!
Per the Manual and the Radio Theft Protection Section: "On all models except LX, If your vehicle battery is disconnected or goes dead, or the radio fuse is removed, the audio system will disable itself. If this happens, there are two methods to make it work again. (3A or 3B)
STEPS:
1. Turn the ignition switch to the ON position,
2. Press the power/volume knob once. The enter code screen will appear:
3A: (Vehicle Specific Method) Press and hold the power/volume knob for a few seconds, the audio unit will check the VIN information stored in the vehicle. The audio system will start activation if the VIN info stored in the audio system and vehicle match.
3B: (Security Code Method) The enter code screen will appear. Use the preset buttons to enter the 5 digit code. The code is on the radio code card included in your owner's manual kit. When it is entered correctly, the radio will start playing.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts