Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone done a valve job before?

I'm thinking of reviving my Pilot that died from a torn timing belt. My thought is that I buy a new timing belt kit, install it, see which valves are bent, then replace the bent valves as needed.

I bought another vehicle, so I have all the time in the world to do the work. Any thoughts or recommendations?

Thanks!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Take the head off, take it to a machine shop, have it checked, let them replace the valves, then put it back on...takes the technical questioning out of the job.

·
Super Moderator
15,213 Posts
Removing the head is the first step. A machine shop can tell you if it's still usable.
What about piston damage from contacting the valves?
Be good to see some photos!

·
Registered
806 Posts
As others have mentioned, you need to remove the heads so you can inspect the valves and the pistons. If it's "just" a valve job the machine shop is the way to go (too many specialty tools needed if you haven't done this). If the pistons are damaged, now you may need to pull the engine or remove the front subframe (not guaranteeing removing the subframe gives the needed access, it does on some vehicles) to get the pistons out and replaced. This is pretty much a full rebuild and is very costly and time consuming.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok. Thanks for the tips and feedback. I may or may not tackle it. I'll definitely document it if I take it apart.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts