Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I'm not a Honda Guru- yet, He, He.

But I'd say no, those are still name brand electrical parts companies?
All these names are big suppliers. All have done business with Honda.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I'm thinking Denso from RockAuto.

·
Registered
180 Posts
My local honda only shop told me about crappy pilot valve covers the other day. He was warning me that they may need replacing if he opened my 09 up for the cam replacement. And he mentioned they were expensive.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
We were planning on doing the valve cover gaskets, grommets and spark plug tube seals today on a family members 2011 Acura TL, discovered the same problem. The aluminum around some of the spark plug tubes has deteriorated. Ordering new covers.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,135 Posts
Is that grime build up, or metal breakdown?
The breakdown may be from galvanic corrosion?

Reactions: Nail Grease

·
Registered
3,178 Posts
View attachment 143534 We were planning on doing the valve cover gaskets, grommets and spark plug tube seals today on a family members 2011 Acura TL, discovered the same problem. The aluminum around some of the spark plug tubes has deteriorated. Ordering new covers.
An unusual problem thats not a reported incident on Accord or Ridgeline forums? Any chance its a VCM-related issue with unburned fuel/oil mixture bubbling up the tube...lol

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Is that grime build up, or metal breakdown?
The breakdown may be from galvanic corrosion?
The aluminum has deteriorated into a gray powder. It is saturated with oil. But not from a prior oil leak. Oil is now seeping out from this damage. It be nice to know how this is occurring. No oil inside any of the spark plug tubes. Spark plugs and coils are nice and dry. Spark plugs have 50k on them. No sign of coil melting or arching. Vehicle has 170k miles on it.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
An unusual problem thats not a reported incident on Accord or Ridgeline forums? Any chance its a VCM-related issue with unburned fuel/oil mixture bubbling up the tube...lol
Actually found on Accord forum. Can't blame VCM. Lol

Reactions: aggrex

·
Registered
180 Posts
My local dallas honda only shop warned me about the pilot valve covers if he looked into my cam problem for me. Luckily my 09 had no deformation.

·
Registered
10,427 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
My local dallas honda only shop warned me about the pilot valve covers if he looked into my cam problem for me. Luckily my 09 had no deformation.
That's good!
Maybe just some low grade aluminum was used on some of these covers.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts