Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever have valve cover spark plug tube holes eat away like this?

Anyway, decided I best to replace. Very poor selection of these from salvage yards. So I bit the bullet and paid $408 for a pair of new OEM for my 2012 Crosstour. These are the same part # for a 2012 Pilot.
12320-R70-A00 Rear
12310-R70-A00 Front

They unknowingly came complete with spark plug tube seals and PCV. No gaskets or grommets.

Reactions: aggrex and The Todd

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
Were they leaking oil?

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Were they leaking oil?
Surprisingly they were not until recently I started seeing oil in the spark plug tubes, so time to replace.

Reactions: The Todd

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Installed covers, with new EGR valve (behind oil fill cap). No engine light and running smooth. I think it's gonna live a little longer. 😁

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anyone ever have valve cover spark plug tube holes eat away like this?
View attachment 140621
Hate to re-ask If there anyone who has seen this kind of valve cover deterioration? But I guess I will. It almost looks like bad casting from the factory.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Someone splurged on the Honda :D. What was the damage on the EGR?
Yeah, crazy to spend that much for valve covers on such a high milage vehicle. Really had no choice. A salvage yard in CA has front and back covers but would not ship, even after I offered $100 each.
I bought the SMP EGR valve off RockAuto for $95. I was pleasantly surprised that the part was actually Continental. The same name on my OE. The engine idles much better now. It had never been replaced.

Reactions: aggrex and The Todd

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Yeah, crazy to spend that much for valve covers on such a high milage vehicle. Really had no choice
LOML has no idea nor wants to know how much the TLC project for the Pilot is adding up. Some suspicion was raised when she noticed the extra effort to get into the Pilot to retrieve something. Originally my budget was the value CarMax has offered for the Pilot but I have stopped counting ;). New wheels and AT tires will likely push it over:D. I will check out what RA has for my Pilot as the EGR is quite rusty.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOML has no idea nor wants to know how much the TLC project for the Pilot is adding up. Some suspicion was raised when she noticed the extra effort to get into the Pilot to retrieve something. Originally my budget was the value CarMax has offered for the Pilot but I have stopped counting ;). New wheels and AT tires will likely push it over:D. I will check out what RA has for my Pilot as the EGR is quite rusty.
Value can be calculated by what your vehicle expense is by the month or year. What's it worth to you. This $500 calculated by the milage gained. Most would have gotten rid of the car years ago.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Looks like, from the pictures anyway, the corrosion started on the outside, from something gathered/accumulated on the plug boots. Road salt maybe? Can't think of anything else corrosive in that space. But curious as I would expect more damage to surrounding metal. Next and maybe more curious would be some EDM, where spark energy was leaking to the cover. I haven't had mine apart for anything there so no eyeballs on "real" parts, just looking at your pictures. Are there ground connections between the COP modules and the covers, then covers to the block? Scratches head...

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Looks like, from the pictures anyway, the corrosion started on the outside, from something gathered/accumulated on the plug boots. Road salt maybe? Can't think of anything else corrosive in that space. But curious as I would expect more damage to surrounding metal. Next and maybe more curious would be some EDM, where spark energy was leaking to the cover. I haven't had mine apart for anything there so no eyeballs on "real" parts, just looking at your pictures. Are there ground connections between the COP modules and the covers, then covers to the block? Scratches head...
The vehicle has never been in road salt.
Here's some close ups.

Ground conection just under the power steering hose.

I would think any wiring or coils would melt if they were grounding out (losing energy) to the valve cover.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I had a couple of theories that were both implausible, but I came across this. Synopsis: Accord, similar failure, best theory seemed to be arcing from the coil or connector, given the localization of the damage. No definitive answer, but that area is thoroughly protected by the gasket from the inside - it seems likely that the problem originated from the outside, as dr. bob suggests. Further, the deformation seems most likely to be related to heat unless someone went nuts changing the gaskets at some point. The corrosion would be a by-product of heat over time.

I would check the head of the coil packs carefully for evidence, and change them out regardless. It wouldn't take much current to warm things up.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I had a couple of theories that were both implausible, but I came across this. Synopsis: Accord, similar failure, best theory seemed to be arcing from the coil or connector, given the localization of the damage. No definitive answer, but that area is thoroughly protected by the gasket from the inside - it seems likely that the problem originated from the outside, as dr. bob suggests. Further, the deformation seems most likely to be related to heat unless someone went nuts changing the gaskets at some point. The corrosion would be a by-product of heat over time.

I would check the head of the coil packs carefully for evidence, and change them out regardless. It wouldn't take much current to warm things up.
My coil packs are not showing any signs of getting hot or being melted, but I'm going to order 6 new packs. Sure don't want to have to replace the covers again.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
$406 after shipping for 6 OEM coil packs. 😣

·
Registered
506 Posts
Yeah, I should have warned you. I was going to replace mine "just because" when I did my plugs and valves. I decided that wasn't necessary after all.

There might be a way to isolate them better from the covers. A gasket? Some high-temp RTV? I don't remember what the clearances are...

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sin
Yeah, I should have warned you. I was going to replace mine "just because" when I did my plugs and valves. I decided that wasn't necessary after all.

There might be a way to isolate them better from the covers. A gasket? Some high-temp RTV? I don't remember what the clearances are...
I found one coil with a hair line crack, but it cracked after tightening on a warped opening. Nothing to sugest arching from the coil no plastic burned or melted. I'm thinking it may have been arching from the spark plug tube to the valve cover on the inside. Maybe with oil acting as the conduit.

·
Registered
9,507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Our coil packs are made by Hitachi.

Any fear of buying these aftermarket?
Any fears of buying Delphi, NGK or Denso from a major auto parts store?

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
I'm not a Honda Guru- yet, He, He.

But I'd say no, those are still name brand electrical parts companies?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts