Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m not knowledgeable in cars, but the other day my alternator went out in my 2010 Touring. First the “check battery system” light came on, then a few moments later every single light started flashing. Apparently the “valve cover gasket" was leaking into the alternator and killed it. That's according to the mechanic. So I have a new alternator, and he told me I'd be ok driving it a couple weeks (which I'm uneasy about) before I have to get the gasket replaced. My question is what is an average cost for the parts and labor for this kind of job? I think I have been getting ripped off by him, so I'd like to know going in what I'm looking at cost wise. I don't think I'll drive much until I can get it fixed because it makes me very nervous. Any help would be appreciated. thanks!

·
Registered
556 Posts
Did you get a quote already? The valve cover gasket is cheap and the labor I would guess is 2 hours or maybe even only 1. In the same area above the alternator, there is a spool valve next to the dipstick and others have reported that can leak and affect the alternator. For the spool valve, the gasket for that can be found online and there are threads on here about that. Labor for that would be an hour or less if they bill for partial hours as folks have reported it is not a big job. But first, it is best to verify leak location with someone you trust. You can also easily see these locations with the engine cover off. You could post some pics on here of the leak if you want some input.

Incidentally what did they charge for the alternator replacement? Do you know what brand they used?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
He quoted me roughly 230 for the valve cover gasket. Im not sure if that was with labor or not. For my alternator, it was 195 for the part and he charged 140 for labor. I was going to buy the alternator myself from rock auto cheaper, and he did it himself which infuriated me. So I'm very cautious of any quote he gives me now. I believe I got ripped off. I know he picked a top brand alternator though. so I'd like to know what a reasonable total estimate would be for the leaking parts and at least I can present myself with some knowledge of what to ask and what is a fair price.

·
Registered
556 Posts
The price for the alternator is good. I was quoted between $400 and $500 for that replacement using the Denso refurb which was recommended. But the Denso is more expensive than other options.

The gasket replacement quote isn't bad. You could call a couple other mechanics and get competive quotes - that's what I do sometimes. It's a common procedure. I had it done during a valve adjustment but the labor was more due to the adjustment.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that makes me feel better. Thank you so much for your input. All in the last couple months I've had to sink alot of money into the car for maintenance and break downs and I'm so paranoid now that something else is going to go wrong. The maintenance stuff I have no problem with and understand that's part of the responsibility of owning a vehicle, especially with high mileage. But I know Honda's are dependable and can last forever. And I love my car so much. I only want to be sure I'm paying fair prices for these repairs. Thank you again.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would bet that you have a leaking spool valve in addition to or instead of a bad valve cover gasket. If the main leak was just above the alternator then it is the spool valve - $20 in parts and 1 hr labor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts