Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my dealer says he adjusts the valves during the 100k tune up and the cost is $600 plus dollars.
does anybody know if the valves really need adjusting in the 3.5 l engine?
also wants $341 to change the plugs, which i can do myself.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot EX-L 2013 Honda Pilot EX-L
1,569 Posts
Is the engine running smooth? No weird noises? Are you having any check engine lights? Decrease in fuel economy?

if it were me I’d skip the valve adjustment. If you have problems further down the road you can always have it done. It typically doesn’t need to be done until 200k miles. As for spark plugs, if you can do them yourself then definitely do that. You’ll save $300

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I have only done them on one car in my extensive history of vehicles. And one of the head bolts stripped the head while following the recommended torque procedure.

Honestly, on modern cars, I only go into valve covers if absolutely needed, otherwise if it runs fine and you don't have any codes I don't see a reason to do it.

Reactions: bdozer1965

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Is the engine running smooth? No weird noises? Are you having any check engine lights? Decrease in fuel economy?

if it were me I’d skip the valve adjustment. If you have problems further down the road you can always have it done. It typically doesn’t need to be done until 200k miles. As for spark plugs, if you can do them yourself then definitely do that. You’ll save $300
thank you for saving me over 600 dollars at this time

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have only done them on one car in my extensive history of vehicles. And one of the head bolts stripped the head while following the recommended torque procedure.

Honestly, on modern cars, I only go into valve covers if absolutely needed, otherwise if it runs fine and you don't have any codes I don't see a reason to do it.
thank you for the valuable info.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
Did you get a #4 code on the Maintenance Minder? Plugs and valve check and adjustment are normally done at the same time as the timing belt and water pump. With a 2013 you are at the point of needing to have the timing belt and water pump done, 105000 miles or 7 years, which ever comes first.

I'm not trying to sell a service, but keep in mind with valves, by the time it gets bad enough for many people to notice, it may have started to cause other issues. A valve adjustment issue usually start showing up with a cold engine, usually a bit of a rough idle that disappears as the engine warms up. A slight loss of compression will cause fuel mileage to slowly go down. Many people don't recognize these things until the issue progresses to the point that it happens all the time. By then some damage could done, especially if the valves are too tight as too tight valves will cause more damage than valves that are too loose.

To me it depends on how long you plan on keeping the Pilot as to whether you get the work done.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
am planning to keep it till the wheels fall off, so need everything to stay happy. haven't gotten any codes, but when checking with the dealer for timing belt kit installation prices, ($999 special) this service was also suggested.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,845 Posts
If you are planning to drive it till the wheels fall off you should either bite the bullet and do all three, or if you are handy DIY them to save money. Interference engines and broken timing belts do not under any circumstances play well together. If that happens, the wheels won't fall off. But it will be one heavy Flintstone-mobile to get around in. That or a very costly, think $4000 +/- range, for a rebuilt engine. Plus you can't just toss any ole Honda 6 cal engine in. You have to have one matched to your vehicle, transmission, 2wd or Awd configuration.

105,000 mile service on Honda's is expensive, but if you keep up on the service need you can get many, many, many, miles out of a Honda. That includes changing the fluids as needed as well. If not, the engine will fail before the wheel falls off or are getting close to falling off.

I have found that most folks don't realize the differences between the engines of old and the new, tighter tolerance engines of today. The newer engines are more fuel efficient and for that matter power efficient than the old sloppy tolerance engines of the power years. The trade off for the efficiency is better maintenance requirements.

Many years ago there was a commercial with the closing line, "You can pay me now, or you can pay me later."

There is a whole lot of truth in that one line.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My 2015 Pilot has 80k on it so I’m not far from the dreaded 105k service. My wife wants no part of doing that and would rather have a new vehicle. Me, aside from not wanting to spend so much money on a new Honda, I do not like the new body styling on the new Pilots so I’m inclined to keep what I have. I guess we’ll see in about 20,000 miles!

·
Registered
9,726 Posts
My 2015 Pilot has 80k on it so I’m not far from the dreaded 105k service. My wife wants no part of doing that and would rather have a new vehicle. Me, aside from not wanting to spend so much money on a new Honda, I do not like the new body styling on the new Pilots so I’m inclined to keep what I have. I guess we’ll see in about 20,000 miles!
Spend $1-2K to keep the old vehicle going for another 7-years/105K-miles and the wife will have nothing to show for it to the friends and neighbors.
Spend $20-30K and she can show them all your brand new vehicle.

The 2022 Pilots might be out by the time you hit 105K and maybe you'll like them better than the current iteration.

·
Registered
2,459 Posts
I used to think that folks sold their cars when they got too dirty. Then when they get an unexpected bill for something. Realistically, the 105k service is easy to plan for, easy to anticipate, easy to get past. Kinda like tires, in that you know they will wear out every xxx miles and will need replacement. Maintenannce planning isn't tough, and it's way cheaper than buying a new car every time the old one gets dirty.

I plan to keep every car I buy for at least 250k, Schedule maintenance for that, and worry more about some idiot crashing into you than adjusting valve clearance.

/rant mode

Reactions: Wickit
1 - 12 of 12 Posts