Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 pilot and have noticed a tick at idle, which made a valve adjustment come to mind. I don't believe one has been done, and the car is at 131k miles. Is there a method to check if it needs one? I have a leak-down tester so I figured I might do that before taking it in.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Mine started ticking a couple thousand before the 100,000 mile maintenance was due. Once Honda completed my 100k maintenance, the ticking was gone. I'm sure you know that over time the they loosen up.

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,188 Posts
A tick could be a leaking exhaust header on the head. It could be a loose valve. It could be poor oil quality. Or it could just be a tick. Watch out for Lyme Dz. LOL

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
It's been my understanding the valve lash get's tighter/smaller with miles, not looser, especially the exhaust valves. When the lash gets too tight, due to the seat receding, a burnt valve can occur. Tappy valves are happy valves, within spec of course.

·
Administrator
2020 Honda Passport Touring AWD Metallic Steel
4,877 Posts
It's been my understanding the valve lash get's tighter/smaller with miles, not looser, especially the exhaust valves. When the lash gets too tight, due to the seat receding, a burnt valve can occur. Tappy valves are happy valves, within spec of course.
That has been my understanding as well, that Honda engines tend toward tighter valve lash then looser.

·
Registered
749 Posts
That has been my understanding as well, that Honda engines tend toward tighter valve lash then looser.
Exhaust generally gets tighter, intake looser. Everyone seems to think only do it if you have an issue. What about the issues you don't notice? As the lash gets tighter eventually the valve is held slightly open, eventually burning it. To loose changes the effective camshaft profile, less lift, less duration, closing up the centerline. That changes the performance of your engine. I have never had anyone come back and say the valve adjustment didn't make positive improvements in their idle quality, performance, and/or mileage. Want the best reliability your veh. is capable of, maintain it.

·
Registered
9,778 Posts
Exhaust generally gets tighter, intake looser. Everyone seems to think only do it if you have an issue.
When my Pilot began to develop a misfire, which triggered the check engine light, a valve clearance adjustment resolved it.
On my invoice, the tech noted that all of the exhaust valves were "extremely" tight and that half of the intake valves were tight.

·
Registered
2013 Pilot EX-L, 182k. 1996 Land Cruiser. 1996 Accord Super Wagon SS Chick Gitter. 2004 CBR600rr.
50 Posts
Currently going through this saga.....#6 exhaust valve was toast. Assumingly from a lack of valve adjustments in 182,000 miles and probably got too tight. Good luck!

Attachments

·
Registered
912 Posts
For those that had valve adjustment done, what did it cost?

·
Registered
2010 Pilot EXL
121 Posts

Intakes get looser, exhaust get tighter as an engine rolls up the miles. If exhaust valves loose lash, they do not contact the seat hard enough and cool from the contact. Overheated valves soon fail to seal and you lose that cylinder

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Intakes get looser, exhaust get tighter as an engine rolls up the miles. If exhaust valves loose lash, they do not contact the seat hard enough and cool from the contact. Overheated valves soon fail to seal and you lose that cylinder
Thought that's what I said in response to post #2? See post #7, not all intakes get looser.

·
Registered
51 Posts
It is always amazing to me that people second guess factory maintenance requirements and ignore them. Think of it this way: if you are wrong you are risking damage to the second most expensive thing you own - typically a home will be the only thing that costs more. And if you are correct, why wou!d you do business with a company that is either dishonest at worst or incompetent at best? There is a reason a valve adjustment is recommended at 100k. Our Pilot has a little over 100k now. Valve adjustment was done last year with timing belt, tensioner, etc. Engine is smooth and quiet. Can barely hear it running when it is in the garage.

This is why I don't buy used cars anymore - the savings is eaten up in time and money fixing\rectifying other people's idiocy.

·
Registered
2014 EX-L - Dark Amber Metallic
69 Posts
This is why I don't buy used cars anymore - the savings is eaten up in time and money fixing\rectifying other people's idiocy.
I just bought a one-owner '14 EX-L that was dealer maintained...those cars are out there.

In any case, I'm still putting on an S-VCM unit.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts