Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

My previous vehicle was a Civic SI coupe which also came with a valet key. That key could not open the trunk, unlock the trunk release lock or the lock that controlled the 60/40 rear seats (and thus again, access the trunk). I understand the purpose of this key. What I do not understand is what the valet key in the PILOT does? Or rather, what it does NOT do. Everything is wide open in the PILOT, so access restriction is definitly not the issue. What are the limitations of this key?

The only thing I could think about (which I'm sure it not the case) would be for Honda to have programmed the PILOT to go on a limited distance on that key. Since these are supposed to be "smart" keys, it would be pretty cool if PILOT would ride for 10 miles max on the valet key before locking up (security feature I guess). I don't know. Any idea why they gave me that key?

p.s. Never used it in my civic anyway. Just curious. Paid enough for my PILOT that I can't afford valet service :D

- Ben

·
Registered
465 Posts
glove box?

This is just a guess - let me know if I am wrong. But on my old Volvo, the valet key also kept you out of a locked glove box.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Smart key that allows only 10 miles driven?Sounds sci-fi but if possible it should be only 1 mile so one could run to the honking and flashing locked car with the embarassed underpaid valet thief stuck in it.The only compartment inside that may be lockable and can't be accessed by the valet key could be the way much too small glove compartment.I have too much stuff in mine everywhere to trust valet parking and parking garages one can't park and lock oneself.Honda should have had lockable drawers underneath their front seats as well as had the rear storage well lockable.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
Correct. The only non-accessable location by the valet key is the glove box.

PrG

·
Registered
797 Posts
Ditto. Glove box only and if the valet key works like the one on my 1993 Mazda 626 did, you could put the key in halfway and still open the wimpy lock on the glove box.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Yups, the only thing that the valet key won't unlock in the glove box.. so put all your ez pass, token and valuable in there when u park......:2:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks!

I guess I hadn't paid any attention to the glovebox. Guess I don't have any gloves to put in ;)

About the "smart key" idea, do you guys think it would be a good idea? PILOT is supposed to recognize when the master key is in so it will start. What if it recognizes the valet key and can then only drive for lets say 10-15 miles max? Only if it detects the master key would it reset the 15 miles counter. Doesn't sound too far fetched. Cheap man's lo-jack ;)

- Ben

·
Registered
395 Posts
bjdurand said:
About the "smart key" idea, do you guys think it would be a good idea? PILOT is supposed to recognize when the master key is in so it will start. What if it recognizes the valet key and can then only drive for lets say 10-15 miles max? Only if it detects the master key would it reset the 15 miles counter. Doesn't sound too far fetched. Cheap man's lo-jack ;)
Not for me, thanks.

My wife was in Austin a few weekends ago and the hotel valet parking people lost her keys. Luckily she had a valet key and could drive back to Corpus. (The hotel found her keys the next day and fed-ex'ed them to us.)

·
Registered
347 Posts
bjdurand said:
Thanks!

I guess I hadn't paid any attention to the glovebox. Guess I don't have any gloves to put in ;)

- Ben
Nope, I have a habit of leaving my ez pass locked up in the glove compartment and everything else, esp. living in the city and driving with my valet key. Would suck to have to stop my car to open my glove compartment at the toll booth. :eek:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Valet key?

Uh here's a real stupid question tha tI have to ask:

Is the valet key the grey one? I received 3 keys, 2 black and one grey. Never found out what the grey one was for. THX

1 - 11 of 11 Posts