Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2003 honda pilot exl
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. First time poster. My gf pilot decided to throw p0505 last week. Ive cleaned the iacv made sure it was working. But the code and the idle surge remained. So i decided to do a vacuum leak test with a smoke machine. And i found that smoke was coming out of the hole beside lower front intake manifold or so i seen atleast. The hole is in the cyclinder head. I already check the bolt on the lower intake manifold and its all good. So my question is am i missing something here. Im out of ideas here.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
It may not be your problem, but an easy and cheap thing to check first is if there is a crack in the air intake tube that gets bent when the air filter gets changed, as you can see in this video. Feel for cracks on the underside of the tube as well, especially on the left side right near the clamps. Maybe even remove it and inspect it even more carefully. At least it won't cost you anything to check.

https://d2n97g4vasjwsk.cloudfront.net/2006 Honda Pilot EX 3.5L V6/Air Filter Engine - Part 1 - 480p.mp4

In fact, I make it part of my air filter replacement routine to check for cracks all along that tube each time I finish putting in a new air filter.

·
Registered
2003 honda pilot exl
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll check that today. But wouldnt the smoke come out of it. The smoke was concentrated on that spot on the picture. I did the leak test 3 times. I used the intake tube and opened the tb.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I can't tell exactly where you are indicating, the photo is zoomed in too close. Is this near the PCV fitting? A missing PCV valve would be a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
2003 honda pilot exl
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Heres a better picture without the manifold. Its only coming out of those holes.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Clean doesn't mean the IACV isn't bad. You could clean it a 1000 times, and if the solenoid is bad it won't mix properly.

My other thought - the smoke is actually escaping at the manifold because the intake manifold gasket is bad - this is allowing air into the system, which is causing the surge.

·
Registered
2003 honda pilot exl
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I diagnosed the iacv it was opening and closing properly. I plugged it in to see if it was shot or not. It was mostly carbon. Also did volt and ohm check. Im on my way to the garage to replace the gasket and do another leak test after thanks for the link I'll check it out

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
9,303 Posts
Glad you found it. Why had the gasket been changed two months ago? If your problems started around then, that's why in troubleshooting one of the first things you ask yourself is what's changed (or has been changed) around when the problem began.

·
Registered
2003 honda pilot exl
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
We pulled the motor and replaced all the gasket did all the tb, wp, oil pump, valve seals. Anyways it hit 400k 2 months ago so we decided to pull it. It was fine till last week. I never had a lower gasket fail. Either way shes fixed and heres to another 400k😂

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have this exact problem on my 2004 pilot. Engine idle surging from 1000 to 2000. I had just taken front intake manifold off to replace the knock sensor wiring harness. I realized I used the back-lower-intake gasket on the front-lower-intake. Just like in the photo above. Notice the shiny metal where the correct gasket would be sealing up the air.

·
Registered
2003 honda pilot exl
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The picture is a bit misleading. When i took the photo of where the smoke from my leak detector was coming from. I had already moved the gasket to few times to assess the area for cracks so it might have look like the gasket was in the wrong place causing the leak but the gasket was actually installed right it just gave out prematurely.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts