Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2006 EX-L (Should be an EX-V, 'cuz vinyl, lol)
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wondering if the V6s in our Pilots would make for good tuner car engine swaps, just for curiosity's sake. It seems like a peppy little engine in our big old SUVs, so I am curious if they're swappable into say an Accord or a Civic with some modifications.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
Then how to get the computer to run it without it going into limp mode.

·
Registered
Nobili spiritus embiggens pequeño sparus tyre.
10,217 Posts
Makes you wonder why it hasn't been done already...

·
Registered
2011 Pilot EX 2WD
117 Posts
I've been wondering if the V6s in our Pilots would make for good tuner car engine swaps, just for curiosity's sake. It seems like a peppy little engine in our big old SUVs, so I am curious if they're swappable into say an Accord or a Civic with some modifications.

·
Registered
11,325 Posts
J-Series motors are found in V6 Accords and Acuras. You're probably better off doing a B24 or K24 swap (bottom end from an CRX) for better power to weight ratio.
Anything without VCM.

·
Registered
2006 EX-L (Should be an EX-V, 'cuz vinyl, lol)
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
There's probably a standalone ECU option for that. I dunno though, it might not be a great motor compared to the other choices.

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot SE FWD & 2006 Honda Pilot EX AWD
26 Posts
There's probably a standalone ECU option for that. I dunno though, it might not be a great motor compared to the other choices.
I believe PFI Speed on youtube still has a twin turbo J35, been a while since I've seen it though. They also supplied BoostedBoiz on youtube with a tt j series. Though possible it seems very niche for now.

·
Registered
2005 Honda pilot EX-L (Big Ronda)
157 Posts

Tuners use them. Just not as often due to the K series exsisting period. You just get so much more out of a K for less. Its a tried and true formula with LS levels of aftermarket support. Although I still want a 2007ish Accord V6 6 speed manual. The J30's are square bore and stroke wise so you can rev them to the sky. The other issue with J's is they are starting to show their age a bit lacking Dohc and I-Vtec. Still, I say that while Hondas selling a 2021-2022 J series powered vehicles everyday. You have to admire the J series time in service for sure.

Reactions: tlnels

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Although I still want a 2007ish Accord V6 6 speed manual
You and me both! An Accord sedan 6-6, a TL or TL-S 6 speed or even a TL SH-AWD 6 speed (just to get the J37 with VTEC on intake and exhaust) would all be absolutely amazing.

But I'm also a big K series fan. I've driven a lot of different 4 cylinder vehicles over the years and I think it's the smoothest and best sounding 4 cylinder out there. I am including the higher spec turbo 4s in this statement too, I think the K20 in the Accord, TLX, RDX can compete with any turbo 4 outside of an AMG35/45.

Reactions: Pathfinder_actual

·
Registered
2008 Honda Pilot SE FWD & 2006 Honda Pilot EX AWD
26 Posts
Another interesting thing going on with Honda engines currently is this. Though it'll likely be a oneoff, unless honda sees the need for a v8 🤞

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
Another interesting thing going on with Honda engines currently is this. Though it'll likely be a oneoff, unless honda sees the need for a v8 🤞
I doubt Honda will ever produce a V8. They now have a turbo J series they can use when V8 power and torque are needed. And it sounds AMAZING in the TLX Type S.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I doubt Honda will ever produce a V8. They now have a turbo J series they can use when V8 power and torque are needed. And it sounds AMAZING in the TLX Type S.

Wow the new DOHC J series is beefy!

·
Registered
157 Posts
It would be cool to see a V8 Pilot or MDX. I just dont see them doing it tbh. So many are moving away from V8 production. Its more likely the next pilot could be a version of this Turbo J30AC in the Acura's. Still a screaming Honda V8 would be awsome.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts

Wow the new DOHC J series is beefy!
My biggest disappointment is that it's still down on the competition in numbers. I'm wondering if they plan on turning up the boost with an even higher performing model?

Basically they targeted the about-to-be-replaced S4 and are right on top of its numbers. Ok, awesome. But the M340 and C43 crush it, so wtf? Sam Car Legion or one of the other youtubers did a drag race with the Type S and a Genesis G70 3.3T and the Genesis whipped the TLX Type S.

Also more than a little disappointed Honda couldn't find another use for the JNC1 engine out of the NSX. I feel like it's begging to be put into a halo sedan of some sort.

·
Registered
157 Posts
My biggest disappointment is that it's still down on the competition in numbers. I'm wondering if they plan on turning up the boost with an even higher performing model?

Basically they targeted the about-to-be-replaced S4 and are right on top of its numbers. Ok, awesome. But the M340 and C43 crush it, so wtf? Sam Car Legion or one of the other youtubers did a drag race with the Type S and a Genesis G70 3.3T and the Genesis whipped the TLX Type S.

Also more than a little disappointed Honda couldn't find another use for the JNC1 engine out of the NSX. I feel like it's begging to be put into a halo sedan of some sort.
I'd wager they are being more conservative with the tune for reliability reasons. (K23 in the RDX is a good example. Its more then capable of making 300 hp the way it sits) A tune will likely go along way. Maybe even 100+ hp depending on whats left tuning wise. That's my guess anyway.

·
Registered
4,261 Posts
I'd wager they are being more conservative with the tune for reliability reasons. (K23 in the RDX is a good example. Its more then capable of making 300 hp the way it sits) A tune will likely go along way. Maybe even 100+ hp depending on whats left tuning wise. That's my guess anyway.
That K23 always baffled me. Why did they only put it in the RDX and only for one generation? I have a cousin who had one of them, it seemed like a really nice vehicle.

·
Registered
157 Posts
That K23 always baffled me. Why did they only put it in the RDX and only for one generation? I have a cousin who had one of them, it seemed like a really nice vehicle.
They are great vehicles. Just as reliable as a NA K series. They drive similar to a evo wagon or an outback wagon. Im considering getting one to turn into a little rally machine for fun. Nothing crazy just a lift and faulken wildtrak tires. I bet it would be fun on dirt roads.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts