Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, so hopefully I can get some answers before I pick up our car.

Dropped off my wife's car today because the rear entertainment system wasn't working at all, and we have an issue with the infotainment display and audio occasionally freezing. Was told our warranty is 500 miles past (36,500 miles). I informed them I have HondaCare, they pulled it up and verified that I have the 8/120k plan.

Got a call saying they found a "soft wire" in the plug and fixed it. Said it'll only be 1/2 hours labor and its ready to go, and that they couldn't verify the freezing issue.

I understand not verifying the freezing issue, its completely random.

Should I be paying for this 1/2 hour labor, or should it be covered by HondaCare and I should insist that? Not sure if they're going to try to get me to pay out of pocket instead of dealing with a warranty issue.

I don't see anything about a minimum charge for using HondaCare, as I have the $0 deductible plan.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I may pick it up tonight if I'm off work in time, otherwise in the morning.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Should be fully covered; $0 for you. However, if you ever bring it in and they can't find a problem, expect to get charged a "diagnostic fee" if they can't duplicate the issue and fix it under warranty.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So..... a bit upset and disappointed this morning.

Dealer in fact charged my 1/2 hours labor ($70+tax). I asked and insisted that this should be covered under HondaCare. He said that no it would not be covered since it was just a pin that came out of the connector, and that since they did not have to replace any parts, it would not be covered.

He said if it was under my 3 year/36,000 warranty it would, but not the HondaCare extended. (Car has 36,550 miles).

I said, "You're kidding right? It's not like this is a maintenance or wear and tear item, this isn't something you'd expect anybody just to fix."

He continued with "I've been doing this 19 years, if I don't have to replace and parts, they won't cover it."

So him that's really disappointing, but fine.

Left and called HondaCare, they said it sounds like I shouldn't have been charged and to fax them over the invoice for review.

So we'll see.... I'm pretty frustrated. But no yelling. Lol.

·
Registered
128 Posts
So..... a bit upset and disappointed this morning.

Dealer in fact charged my 1/2 hours labor ($70+tax). I asked and insisted that this should be covered under HondaCare. He said that no it would not be covered since it was just a pin that came out of the connector, and that since they did not have to replace any parts, it would not be covered.

He said if it was under my 3 year/36,000 warranty it would, but not the HondaCare extended. (Car has 36,550 miles).

I said, "You're kidding right? It's not like this is a maintenance or wear and tear item, this isn't something you'd expect anybody just to fix."

He continued with "I've been doing this 19 years, if I don't have to replace and parts, they won't cover it."

So him that's really disappointing, but fine.

Left and called HondaCare, they said it sounds like I shouldn't have been charged and to fax them over the invoice for review.

So we'll see.... I'm pretty frustrated. But no yelling. Lol.
YMMV. I find warranties, extended or not, are not a guarantee of coverage. Only as good as the company/dealer willing to back it up. It’s the same old tired refrain when the majority of responses are "it's functioning as normal", "we can't duplicate the problem" or "it's not covered".

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The pin coming loose is a manufacturer defect and the warranty covers parts AND labor. You should not have been charged.
That is exactly how I feel. He said the 3year/36,000 would absolutely cover it, but NOT HondaCare....

·
Registered
2021 AWD Touring
33 Posts
That is exactly how I feel. He said the 3year/36,000 would absolutely cover it, but NOT HondaCare....
I don't trust your dealer ... what if they took your money and also filed a Hondacare claim? I would at least call Honda and complain about it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update:

Faxed over the invoice to HondaCare this morning as they asked to. Called at lunch to confirm they recieved it, he said yes they recieved it, agreed it's a valid and the claim was approved, payment is being issued.

Shout out to John @ HondaCare for taking care of me. I was worried that maybe HondaCare was gonna let me down on my first use. But they took care of it. It was just that service rep at that dealer. I'll avoid him if there's another issue.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't trust your dealer ... what if they took your money and also filed a Hondacare claim? I would at least call Honda and complain about it.
Oooooh, double-dipping? That would be pretty shady. I was thinking more along the lines of he probably didn't want to deal with filing a claim for a half hour's labor of warranty work, that Honda Corporate probably pays discounted labor rates.

Probably for $77 it's easier to convince the customer that it isn't covered.

But it was. Lol. I won't bash the dealer by posting a name, but I was disappointed in the particular service rep for not even trying to get it covered. I called HondaCare and talked to a rep in less than 30 seconds. Spent 25 of those seconds navigating the menu. 5 seconds on hold.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
593 Posts
Put the dealer on blast on the survey you're sent out. The dealer legitimately cares how those are answered, always use that as leverage when dealing with them.

I personally would go to the dealership and put the service rep and service manager on blast. You shouldn't have to call Honda Care. Super lazy and clearly someone needs training.

I hope that's not the closest dealer to you bc the trust is lost.

ALSO.

I typically try and get video recording of any issue I have so I can show it to them. It may be intermittent but I ain't paying nothing if you can't duplicate it and I have it on video.

Hyundai pulled this crap with me twice and I put my foot up the service managers ass and showed him the video. He smiled, said no problem and they replaced it without being able to duplicate. (Once was the rear camera, the other was the power locks).

Honestly I think the majority of the time the techs are too busy and don't care enough to actually try and duplicate.

Easier to say..... nope couldn't or didn't find it. Log the time and move on.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's never really been me. I was upset that he obviously didn't even contact HondaCare, and I will definitely either avoid him next time, or if he's the only one there, I'll make it a point to make him call right in front of me. But I'm not the person that blasts a person or company. I've never had the balls for that. Lol. If it was a couple hundred, I may have spoke up a little more, but I dunno.

At the end of the day, I'm glad HondaCare took care of me and I learned that I may have to fight a little harder to make sure a dealer calls HondaCare before I get there.

BUT, at the same time. I wonder if a dealership would rewrite the invoice in a way to get a claim denied? So they get paid full retail rates? I know warranty rates are like half. May be easier to have them write it correctly and send it over to HondaCare myself. Lol.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
And there is technically another dealer closer, but this dealer is more convenient between where I work and live. I will probably try the other dealership if I have another issue.

·
Registered
2021 AWD Touring
33 Posts
That's never really been me. I was upset that he obviously didn't even contact HondaCare, and I will definitely either avoid him next time, or if he's the only one there, I'll make it a point to make him call right in front of me. But I'm not the person that blasts a person or company. I've never had the balls for that. Lol. If it was a couple hundred, I may have spoke up a little more, but I dunno.

At the end of the day, I'm glad HondaCare took care of me and I learned that I may have to fight a little harder to make sure a dealer calls HondaCare before I get there.

BUT, at the same time. I wonder if a dealership would rewrite the invoice in a way to get a claim denied? So they get paid full retail rates? I know warranty rates are like half. May be easier to have them write it correctly and send it over to HondaCare myself. Lol.
The whole point of HondaCare is supposed to be peace of mind warranty, instead of fighting to get a genuine claim covered.

Furthermore, I presume that a dealership is well compensated for HondaCare. If they're not, I presume that accepting HondaCare servicing is not optional.
Honda must have imposed ground rules on a dealer becoming a Honda dealer in that they must cover extended warranties regardless of the compensated cost.

I would be shocked if Honda would not compensate a dealership well for their services under HondaCare.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The whole point of HondaCare is supposed to be peace of mind warranty, instead of fighting to get a genuine claim covered.

Furthermore, I presume that a dealership is well compensated for HondaCare. If they're not, I presume that accepting HondaCare servicing is not optional.
Honda must have imposed ground rules on a dealer becoming a Honda dealer in that they must cover extended warranties regardless of the compensated cost.

I would be shocked if Honda would not compensate a dealership well for their services under HondaCare.
The industry standard for auto and bodyshop repair is flat-rate. All repairs have a flat-rate repair time associated with them. Manufacturers typically pay no more, no less. And their hourly warranty rate is typically less than the dealer's normal labor rate. While I'm not 100% certain about HondaCare, I seriously doubt the dealer/tech is being compensated any more than non-HondaCare warranty.

·
Registered
750 Posts
While I'm not 100% certain about HondaCare, I seriously doubt the dealer/tech is being compensated any more than non-HondaCare warranty.
Correct, Hondacare pays normal warranty time, meaning not much.
For fyi, the dealer said not covered because there were no parts replaced. When no parts are replaced it's at the discretion of Honda if it's covered or not. They work off labor ops, no parts replaced = no labor op. Same bs under warranty, I do far to much free work.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts