Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a used 2016-19 Pilot and want to know what to look for and avoid. I own a 2004 Gen 1 and know all about those models. What should I be looking for and what to avoid. I already have concerns on the 9 speed trans and will be focused on the 6 speed options. Thanks for any pointers

·
Registered
2008 Piot SE FWD, 2015 Pilot LX 4WD. 2005 GSX-R1000
2,063 Posts
My opinion, get a Gen 2 LOL
I've never owned or driven a Gen 3 however- they are probably nice too.

·
Registered
113 Posts
We have a 19 and a16 ex-L. Only issue we have had is the po4030 code for the injectors on the 16. Great cars so far.

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
Despite what transmission you get, disable the VCM and you will go far.

·
Registered
402 Posts
IMO the 9-speed is the better transmission. The early reports of shifting trouble seem to have been solved with software updates. Plus, transmission cooling is terrible in these cars and the 9-speed comes with a much more robust (albeit more expensive) transmission fluid. If you get the 6-speed (or the 9-speed for that matter) consider a transmission cooler, or make sure you do regular fluid changes, especially if you live in a hot climate or drive in city traffic.

Other than that, disable the VCM and these things are decently reliable. VCM damage on higher mileage cars is likely to present as bad motor mounts or "judder" from the torque convertor.

·
Registered
813 Posts
If you can then try to get the 19 Pilot. The refresh for 2019 made it a much better car than the past years. I would skip on the 16 Pilot if I were you because there have been quite a few issues with them.

·
Registered
2019 Pilot Elite
495 Posts
If you can then try to get the 19 Pilot. The refresh for 2019 made it a much better car than the past years. I would skip on the 16 Pilot if I were you because there have been quite a few issues with them.
I agree with this.

The '19 had software and hardware upgrades to the transmission. These are documented on wiki.

Oh and it has the volume knob!!!

·
Registered
2018 Pilot EX AWD
247 Posts
Didn’t the 2019 and 2020 have issues with the radio going haywire and speaker popping? Also, weren’t there issues with the gauge clusters? I will admit I like the refresh look better than my 2018 but I haven’t had any issues with the gauge cluster or radio/speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Didn’t the 2019 and 2020 have issues with the radio going haywire and speaker popping? Also, weren’t there issues with the gauge clusters? I will admit I like the refresh look better than my 2018 but I haven’t had any issues with the gauge cluster or radio/speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There was a recall, and a software update for the MID/Dash Cluster.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have a 2019 Elite with almost 14k and my biggest complaints are CarPlay is junk and the mirrors don’t auto fold. I have the towing package with ATF cooler, and it tows well + I hope will prolong the life of the tranny. Have never used the 3rd row, but the 3 times I crawled back there to try it out, I think 2 adults could manage on a trip fairly well.

·
Registered
9,446 Posts
The light weight aluminum hood flexes. Worse at high speeds.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 2016 EX-L that I bought used in 2018 with about 10,000 miles on it. I haven't had any troubles with it - not even the notorious radio issue. I've only put about 20,000 miles on it in the last 2.5 years, but we've taken it on one long road trip and its our primary errand car as well as my daily commute car. I was nervous buying the first model year, but it's been great and I have no regrets.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts