Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't really consider the mileages below "high mileage" as I have run my last two Toyotas up to 215k+ , and still drive the one daily. I am looking at higher mileage Pilots for this reason, as they seem just as reliable as Toyotas from what I've heard, but the Highlander isn't what we are looking for.

I also hate dumping money into cars, since they only depreciate.

That being said, I am wondering what others have to say about buying a used higher milage Pilot. I am also wondering what common repairs/issues I should look for, and if there is a checklist anywhere on this forum? When I was looking at Ridgelines they had a pre-purchase checklist sticky on the forum, but a search has revealed nothing.

Below, are the ones we are going to see this Thursday.

Price Year Miles Trim Notes
$12,280 2006 118 EXL
$11,500 2006 119 EX New Timing Belt, 1 Owner
$11,000 2006 106 EX
$12,400 2007 126 EXL Engine Replaced at 70k mi?
$8,700 2006 137 EXL Timing Belt Replaced
$14,800 2007 97 EXL
$13,700 2006 87 EXL Driver seat leather has tear in side

·
Registered
668 Posts
Certainly stick with 2006 or newer as they seem to be better. Also, I would certainly give preference to any vehicle that has had all of the fluids changed as per the maintenance schedule and that has had the timing belt replaced as that is an expensive item. I would be suspicious of a vehicle that had its engine replaced at only 70,000 miles as that could be an indication that the vehicle was abused and neglected. However, if the owner can prove that this is not the case and the engine is a quality replacement then maybe I would reconsider, assuming that it runs perfectly.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I bought my 08 SE pretty happy with the car performance and spaces. Except the color, over price and a transmission leaks issue 3wks later that put me 19k for the car 1.5yrs ago. So if you able to buy it used through private party it's a good deal even if it does break which can count as a maintenance job goes to it as for a used car and you'll be safe for that part from the stand point. Only other thing that bothers me about my 08 is both passenger door latch chrome coated peeling. As far as top/bottom inspection everytime I perform DIY oil change seems sparking clean with no leaks. I wasn't able to get a 4WD version during my hunting due to most of them bottom are very rust out duento salts, so do inspect carefully for rust! Not easy and cheap to fix a rust. So when you buy a used one be sure to craw under and inspect carefully as the Pilot are high enough for you to craw under without jacking. If you're big size you could park it one side on top of the curve to have better ground clearance. As far as the 06-08 model seem to have the least issues when I did my research last 1.5yr when I bought mine. Only one issue that's on the Service Bulletin are the Misfire code that needs valve adjustment done or check when you doing timing belts. I had those codes throw at me 3-4x i just cleared it hasn't came back yet. At 92k now, I'm holding it up till 105k for the big tune up. As it really doesn't affect the car performance at all. As i remember it misfire diring the start up and shut the engine down and throw the code when i try start it back up again for the last 3-4x but not when you're driving. This is not a major issue that you would concern about, it's part of the maintenance list.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Certainly stick with 2006 or newer as they seem to be better. Also, I would certainly give preference to any vehicle that has had all of the fluids changed as per the maintenance schedule and that has had the timing belt replaced as that is an expensive item. I would be suspicious of a vehicle that had its engine replaced at only 70,000 miles as that could be an indication that the vehicle was abused and neglected. However, if the owner can prove that this is not the case and the engine is a quality replacement then maybe I would reconsider, assuming that it runs perfectly.
Can you provide some info what you mean by "better" in reference to the 2006 or newer pilots please.

·
Registered
4 Posts
just bought a 2005 with 137.00 miles ..I really like it a lot. oil dipstick is seized. I managed to break handle on it. ill probably take it to a honda garage to remove dip stick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
does anyone know of a good steel replacement for these asenine plastic dipsticks. When Honda recalled the airbags they should recall the plastic dipsticks and replace them with steel. There are prob thousands of cars in the junk yards with steel dipsticks and they are still in tact.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I know this post is a bit old, but just bought an 04 for $1800 from original owner. 167k on it and running strong. A couple small rust spots but that's it. Always dealer serviced. This was a pretty good find. This thing runs great for the mileage. Hit the gas and it's still snappy. I'm sure it will go 100k more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts