Honda Pilot - Honda Pilot Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm just about ready to buy a pilot or mdx....

I have one dealer that will commit $700 under MSRP for an 04
Pilot and today I went to test drive a base model MDX and the dealer
will not budge below msrp...so I left!:mad:

Anyway, I went to test drive an 01 gold MDX/touring with 41,000
miles on it and they were asking $33,900 and I got them down to $31,900
before I left and told them if they can get it down to $29,000 we'd have a deal, but no call back yet. Anyway, my dilemma is weather to buy a
new Pilot for about the same as I would pay for 01 MDX with 41,000 miles
on it? After reading all the posts about some of the problems people have with Pilots I'm leaning towards the used MDX. It is a certified
MDX and would come with and additional 24K warranty....

Just looking for some opinions.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Why would you want to buy a car with 41,000 miles on it when you can get a brand new car with no miles and for less money? I think a lot of times this board scares people because it appears that there are millions of problems with this car when there isn't. It is very easy to gripe about small details. Granted, there are people on this board who have had some major problems, but that can be said with ANY kind of new car. This forum represents a tiny percentage of Pilot owners out there, most of which I am sure have had no big issues. I think for you it might be that you just like the MDX better, which is fine. If I could afford the Acura, I would have bought that one instead (like the looks better). From a practical standpoint, to me, it would make better financial sense, both in the long and short term to get the Pilot. Just my thoughts :D

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot! I appreciate your honest feedback...I agree with you,
nothing like getting something new. I do like the MDX better, but the pricetag and like you said 41K is making me lean towards the Pilot....just wished they had a moon roof and heated leather...:(

Anyone else?

·
Registered
461 Posts
I can't believe 33,900 for an '01. Friend just got a brand new '03 Touring (DVD & Navigation)for about $38,400(I think that was the price).

I'd get the brand new one in your scenario. Both are pretty equally popular. In a couple of years, the '01 MDX would be "old." In the same time frame the Pilot would still be "almost new." With the new costing less, I'd get the Pilot.

·
Registered
162 Posts
I agree completely with Alexandra. I absolutely adore my Pilot and have not had any of the issues talked about on this forum with the exception of the saggy leather seats and to be perfectly honest, I never thought that they were a big deal. I have owned my car for 11 months and have 13,000 miles on it with no problems. We were actually on a waiting list for two months for a MDX before we bought our Pilot and I am so glad that we did. In an ideal world, I would love a moonroof and heated seats but are they worth an extra $6-8
thousand, not in my book and I have to tell you that I think the Pilot is much more user friendly on the inside than the MDX. I am a big fan of the center console in the Pilot!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
Buying someone else's problem

jcard71 said:
Thanks a lot! I appreciate your honest feedback...I agree with you,
nothing like getting something new. I do like the MDX better, but the pricetag and like you said 41K is making me lean towards the Pilot....just wished they had a moon roof and heated leather...:(

Anyone else?
Buying a used vehicle is always buying into a problem. Either it is the vehicle itself, the person's finances, or, the person's ego. Anyway you look at it, buying new should be the safest way to go. 30K for a 3 year old vehicle w/40K+ miles doesn't sound so great to me. I wouldn't buy it for $25K when Pilots can be had for under $30K all day long.

·
Registered
146 Posts
at 41,000 miles you will be out of warranty with the MDX. I would go with the Pilot. Also like the other poster said, I would not let the problems listed on this forum scare you away. Visit any car forum and you will see their share of complaints. It's the nature of the forum. It's only magnified on the net because we document every little detail.

I've had my Pilot for almost six months. Only problem encountered was saggy leather. Othe then that I've been very happy with my purchase.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Its hard for me to grasp the need for heated seats down here in south Florida. We need a/c in the seats but I guess being up north makes it a necessity (or just a luxury?) Think of how often you would use these items and see if that would justify the now soon to be three-year old car. I had a sunroof in my old car and used it a few times per year, mostly in the fall and winter or in the evening. In summer, it is just too hot. If it is really cold (40s for us floridians) I wouldn't use it then either. There are great deals on 2003 Pilots, at least down here there are. On the flip side, I know how it is when you really want something else...there is always a way to justify a purchase.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Just looked at Edmunds for the value of an '01 MDX. Just guessed at color and didn't check Nav. System, put in a random zip code....around $27,000 for a private sale came up. Hope they don't call back and say yes to the $29,000!

·
Registered
367 Posts
used-no way for 31 or 29K-new EX $27000

You made the right move walking away at 33k for a used car.You can buy a MDX for just a couple of K more.Pilots are readily availabe now;I just bought a EX for $27000+TTL.Wait for a couple of months after the 04's come out,and they will be discounted .The "hotness" of the Pilots has worn off,so they are selling just like any other well made Honda-less than MSRP.
The Pilot is pretty much a slightly downscale MDX,so you just have to decide"is it worth the extra $$"?Don't buy used,not at those prices.You will save very little,and you will have a car that is at least 1/2 finished its trouble free life(I figure around 80,000 you start spending real money on repairs and maintenance-timing belt,brake job front and rear,CV joint replacement,shocks-strut replacement).Just those few items will be ~$2000+.Luck,Charlie

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks! MY 3 KIDS....YOU can't go by that private sale from Edmunds.

Trust me, I've done my homework... a lot of it and if you go to usedcars.com and search nation wide you will see that the price is compareable to other dealers. I plan on putting 20K down onmy Pilot or MDX so the finance & ego like someone said is not the issue. Just looking at it from a consumer standpoint. I agree that buying
a used MDX with that many miles is not to smart, but I've driven them both and the ride of the MDX and looks are nice than the Pilot.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
:D if you're going to spend 30K for a used MDX, might as well buy a new pilot EXLRES and it will be all worth it! 1st, 40K miles is a lot and the pilot is similar to it. no problems with my pilot so far!

·
Registered
300 Posts
GO FOR THE PILOT '03 OR '04!!!!! You won't regretted. Pilot is much better more accessories, and more SEXIER!!!!.

·
Registered
461 Posts
KBB said $26.400 for the '01 MDX Touring. If you really want a used MDX, maybe you can find it priced better in a not too distant state. People save up to $3000 by buying their new Pilots in areas where the price is lower....maybe the same would hold true for used Acuras. I know one can get about $3000 of the MSRP of a new Pilot...I did it myself. The Edmunds and KBB were private party prices. Sounds like you are trying to buy a used one from a dealer?? Maybe you could find one in a private sale cheaper than the dealer is offering. There were a couple in my small town paper just today.

I liked the MDX also, but liked the 8th seat(lots of kids and tag alongs) of the Pilot more. While a lot of people hate the Pilot's shift at the wheel and not in the console, I like it better because of the additional storage space it frees. But, the Pilot isn't an MDX, nor is the MDX a Pilot. Get the one you like best at the price you're comfortable paying. Everyone here votes for the Pilot, but you have to be happy. I got a brand new Pilot with leather and rear entertainment DVD for the price you are willing to pay for a used MDX. Different things for different people.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Where can you get a Pilot for $3,000 below MSRP????????

Believe it or not, I was able to find a place that will sell an MDX
for almost invoice! $33,000. I thank everyone who posted and helped
me avoid a BIG mistake!

Thanks, good luck with the Pilots. If things don't work out with the MDX for some reason I will get a Pilot...

·
Registered
461 Posts
Got my Pilot for just under $350 above invoice (about $3000 under MSRP) from a dealer in Ohio.

Glad you found a good price on a new MDX. Sounds like a great buy! Enjoy the car.:)

·
Registered
409 Posts
You Gotta Go...

Friend I think you should go with the new Pilot. But you have to get the car/truck whatever that you really want. You will be driving it and making the payments have some fun and get the one that tickles your fancy the most. For us it was the Pilot...good luck.

Don:2:

·
Registered
123 Posts
If i am not wrong the ALG value of 03 Pilot is more than even 2002 MDX . Buying MDX with 41K on it at the price of pilot , doesn't make sense to me , unless u really fell for it's look .
If Pilot problem scares you , i don't know what happens with MDX problems . Even MDX has problems .

1 - 20 of 22 Posts